Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ilayaraja concert in Toronto

+5
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Impedimenta
confuzzled dude
Obnoxious
doofus_maximus
9 posters

Go down

Ilayaraja concert in Toronto Empty Ilayaraja concert in Toronto

Post by doofus_maximus Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:49 am

One item in my bucket list crossed off.
Seeing SPB, Ilayaraja, Chitra, Hariharan, Sadhana Sargam, Karthik, Madhu Balakrishnan, Vivek, and 70 other artistes perform was legendary.
SPB and Ilayaraja were miles ahead as compared to others on stage when it came to singing live.
Madhu Balakrishnan should sing more. He was awesome.
Hariharan was terrible.
Among the ladies, Chitra and Sadhana Sargam were very good.

Driving 5 hours from MI to Toronto in a snow storm and getting stuck in traffic for 2 hrs near the Rogers Center were all worth it for 4.5 hrs of pure magic.

Don't miss it if there are any shows near your place.

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Ilayaraja concert in Toronto Empty Re: Ilayaraja concert in Toronto

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:52 am

There is one in nj too. Saw many ads for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:There is one in nj too. Saw many ads for it.

I know. If you want to listen to 4.5 hours of ppl speaking and singing in Tamil you should go Smile

EDIT for my OP: Forgot Yuvan shankar Raja. He sang Saindhu Saindhu from NEP. Sounded much better live and Yuvan is hugely popular and got a big ovation from the crowd.

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Lol. Have no plans of going. This was a public service announcement wonly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:37 pm

I've tickets for the show. Telugu organization is organizing it here. Am sure there will be some Telugu songs.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:05 pm

cool ..It should be fun.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:16 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:One item in my bucket list crossed off.
Seeing SPB, Ilayaraja, Chitra, Hariharan, Sadhana Sargam, Karthik, Madhu Balakrishnan, Vivek, and 70 other artistes perform was legendary.
SPB and Ilayaraja were miles ahead as compared to others on stage when it came to singing live.
Hariharan was terrible.

Driving 5 hours from MI to Toronto in a snow storm and getting stuck in traffic for 2 hrs near the Rogers Center were all worth it for 4.5 hrs of pure magic.

Wow! 70+ sounds great man. SPB has great stage presence, he engages crowd and keeps them interested by sharing anecdotes. Hariharan was bad a few years back when he toured with AR Rahman.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:33 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:One item in my bucket list crossed off.
Hariharan was terrible.

Wow! 70+ sounds great man. SPB has great stage presence, he engages crowd and keeps them interested by sharing anecdotes. Hariharan was bad a few years back when he toured with AR Rahman.

He also sounds really good. I like him as long as he doesnt sing carnatic. I met Hariharan 5 years back when SEF did a show with him. I love his voice, but he sings only ghazals the genre I passionately hate. The dude drinks & smokes like crazy eats meat everyday. That affects his throat.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:16 pm

i have tickets but my daughter has a violin concert that day although it is late at night. before, i was going to skip this concert but now, i will go here for a couple and then go back.

Too many events in NJ....and my daughter seems to play a part in half of them, at least it looks to me that way considering how much i drove her around for rehearsals all weekend.

SPB and illayaraja have amazing screen presence. Hariraran, thinking he is improvising, ends up sounding ridiculous. who is madhu? fine. i will google.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:26 pm

oh this guy?

he sounds a lot like yesudoss

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
Too many events in NJ....and my daughter seems to play a part in half of them, at least it looks to me that way considering how much i drove her around for rehearsals all weekend.

Welcome to the world of Helicopter moms.

Your life is now entering a kombolete new phase....for the next 20 years.

How time flies.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:40 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

How time flies.

I had to look that up. And then there are stealth helicopter(mom)s that quietly hover in the background. But officially they don't exist.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:36 pm

i attended an SPB concert years ago in the US - he was in a really foul mood that day - complained that they had to do all the work themselves, had no helpers, audience should be mindful of that, blah, blah and blah. we were subjected to a grand lecture on respect, understanding and other such matters. all this coz the audience was egging him to sing some specific songs.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:00 pm

bw wrote:i attended an SPB concert years ago in the US - he was in a really foul mood that day - complained that they had to do all the work themselves, had no helpers, audience should be mindful of that, blah, blah and blah. we were subjected to a grand lecture on respect, understanding and other such matters. all this coz the audience was egging him to sing some specific songs.

you know what you are? you are party-pooper. Here we are, singing praises and you come along and HAVE to say he was shitty once.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:06 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:
bw wrote:i attended an SPB concert years ago in the US - he was in a really foul mood that day - complained that they had to do all the work themselves, had no helpers, audience should be mindful of that, blah, blah and blah. we were subjected to a grand lecture on respect, understanding and other such matters. all this coz the audience was egging him to sing some specific songs.

you know what you are? you are party-pooper. Here we are, singing praises and you come along and HAVE to say he was shitty once.

that was my only encounter with this man and i remember telling myself that i will never spend a penny again to watch him live.

why should that ruin your party? scratch

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:13 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:

We have another word for that around here... it's "snooty." Smile

BTW, there used to be a Telugu TV series hosted by SPB. It was a singing contest. My dad was a huge fan of the show. Unlike most singing contest hosts, though, SPB had some serious ambitions to change the world for the better with his show. So each episode he would spend a few minutes on a grand lecture on issues like waiting for your turn in a wedding buffet line, not traveling on the foot-board hanging on to city buses, not reciting out loud the next line in a movie you are watching for the fourth time in a theater, etc. I don't know if he's still doing the show and / or the lecturing.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:15 pm

panini press wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:

We have another word for that around here... it's "snooty." Smile

BTW, there used to be a Telugu TV series hosted by SPB. It was a singing contest. My dad was a huge fan of the show. Unlike most singing contest hosts, though, SPB had some serious ambitions to change the world for the better with his show. So each episode he would spend a few minutes on a grand lecture on issues like waiting for your turn in a wedding buffet line, not traveling on the foot-board hanging on to city buses, not reciting out loud the next line in a movie you are watching for the fourth time in a theater, etc. I don't know if he's still doing the show and / or the lecturing.

lol! lol! lol! @ grand lecture on issues like waiting for your turn in a wedding buffet line, not traveling on the foot-board hanging on to city buses, not reciting out loud the next line in a movie you are watching for the fourth time in a theater, etc.

ED: I get pissed off at FOBs who don't take new plates every time they go to get food at an Indian buffet and I seethe internally and shake my head at them which they don't even notice.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:35 pm

panini press wrote:

Hey! I can see why your Dad was a fan of this show..I would be too! Because of what you said about this show and his little "messages"..I like SPB more:)

In the West..they always had many "musical shows"..a little drama, a little dancing/a lot of singing...with some *public service messages- it's "a complete show"Smile Activists do that..whether it's "get out the vote"..or patriotic songs and messages!

I have seen him act in one tamil movie..he wasn't bad.

Last edited by Maria S on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

How time flies.

I had to look that up. And then there are stealth helicopter(mom)s that quietly hover in the background. But officially they don't exist.

I have been accused of the ultimate Stealth man.. making someone do what they don't want to do without they ever realizing that they are doing what they never wanted to do.

Clear na ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Here he is with one of my fav.stars/actress/producer/businesswoman..Madam Radhika:)
Granted he is not the "typical Indian movie hero"..who can leap and catch the lady..he is like a big teddy bear- Chris Christie walks slowly, breathing a little hard..but has a powerful voice and personality:)

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:54 pm

Maria S wrote:Here he is with one of my fav.stars/actress/producer/businesswoman..Madam Radhika:)
Granted he is not the "typical Indian movie hero"..who can leap and catch the lady..he is like a big teddy bear- Chris Christie walks slowly, breathing a little hard..but has a powerful voice and personality:)

More important....

Heard Radhika - who is in her 4th marriage with Sarath Kumar - is having an affair with Deve Gowda's son (or somene like that...). Is that right ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:00 pm

Is she? Don't know about that.."kisu kisu" Saamiyar:)
All I know is that she is the Maharani of tamil serials (apart from her big screen accomplishments)..I like her.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down