Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why is india so bad for women?

+3
Hellsangel
Rishi
MaxEntropy_Man
7 posters

Go down

why is india so bad for women? Empty why is india so bad for women?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:04 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/23/why-india-bad-for-women
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

why is india so bad for women? Empty Re: why is india so bad for women?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:22 am

it always amazes me that women like vidya bagchi and nenu are less outraged by the actual incidents reported in these kinds of articles than they are about their perception of bigotry on my part. talk about misplaced priorities! perhaps their safe perches in suburban new jersey and georgia, far away from urban rapelandia affords them this sort of cynicism.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:29 am

Ayodhy
23 July 2012 9:32pm
The verdict is out on that case, but one thing is clear: 91 years after Gandhi urged Indian men to treat their women with respect, the lesson has yet to be learned.
This is the most ridiculous of all things written here.
Am I wrong to ask " did Gandhi ever treat a woman with respect"? He has been using young girls, old enough to be his great grand daughters, as guinea pigs to test his Brammacharya. His wife Kasthuribai, despised him in silence for what he was. So where is the respect for women?

Great comment.

A lot of western writers bring up Gandhi when they write about India without examining critically his life.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:33 am

Get your facts straight. I didn't call you a bigot. Don't remember ever calling you one. I objected either your equating us with pakis, or trying to point fingers at NI culture (only) on the whole. And if I remember correctly some others have called you a bigot too.

Glad your subject is India this time, and not NI. Also, glad you named people directly this time instead of indirect allegations like the last time. Some progress there.

Now coming to the point. Why would you think I don't think seriously about this issue? The sad part is, whenever YOU post such news, it looks like your other intention is to highlight NI negatively. If I agree with your comments about women's plight on those articles I will also be agreeing on your other commentary about NI, and I don't wanna do that. So while that sad fact is true, your conclusions on your posts aren't ( for me), so I feel it's right to point that out. Just because my priority is women, doesn't mean I will let you go ahead with your other blame game. That's my point. Don't know why others call you a bigot. Wait for their replies.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:41 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote: I objected either your equating us with pakis, or trying to point fingers at NI culture (only) on the whole.

the problems are overwhelmingly of the north. and it is silly to not acknowledge that. that is not to say the south is a paradise for women. this is the same as saying by and large the US is a wealthy nation, but hunger is not unknown in the US. but the US is not the same as ethiopia. in a similar sense violence against women is not unknown in the south.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:47 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Get your facts straight. I didn't call you a bigot. Don't remember ever calling you one. I objected either your equating us with pakis, or trying to point fingers at NI culture (only) on the whole. And if I remember correctly some others have called you a bigot too.

Glad your subject is India this time, and not NI. Also, glad you named people directly this time instead of indirect allegations like the last time. Some progress there.

Now coming to the point. Why would you think I don't think seriously about this issue? The sad part is, whenever YOU post such news, it looks like your other intention is to highlight NI negatively. If I agree with your comments about women's plight on those articles I will also be agreeing on your other commentary about NI, and I don't wanna do that. So while that sad fact is true, your conclusions on your posts aren't ( for me), so I feel it's right to point that out. Just because my priority is women, doesn't mean I will let you go ahead with your other blame game. That's my point. Don't know why others call you a bigot. Wait for their replies.

Talking about suburban comforts, in suburban Boston, do they make you feel unsafe like an Indian street? Your perch is similar to ours. All you are doing is trying to differentiate NI from SI. YOUR priorities seem misplaced. You don't seem to care about those women. All you seem to care is about bad Indian stats becaue of regions that you don't belong to. If any statistician out there mentioned that SI is a safe place for women, you will be satisfied. Then those Delhi women be damned as far as you are concerned. Right or wrong?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:16 am

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:58 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote: I objected either your equating us with pakis, or trying to point fingers at NI culture (only) on the whole.

the problems are overwhelmingly of the north. and it is silly to not acknowledge that. that is not to say the south is a paradise for women. this is the same as saying by and large the US is a wealthy nation, but hunger is not unknown in the US. but the US is not the same as ethiopia. in a similar sense violence against women is not unknown in the south.

Saw this just now. You are not 'acknowledging' anything. You are highlighting it. You use this as just another example to push your views on NI as a whole.

So ok, humor me. Forget Pakistan for now. Statistics, as available, is more prominent for NI right now? Now what? What do you want to do other than highlighting it here?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:17 pm

the fact that the world's gaze is on india now and how it treats its women is a good thing. shame can be a emotion that catalyzes positive changes.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:23 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the fact that the world's gaze is on india now and how it treats its women is a good thing. shame can be a emotion that catalyzes positive changes.

this seems to be a better tone from you.

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the fact that the world's gaze is on india now and how it treats its women is a good thing. shame can be a emotion that catalyzes positive changes.

Considering that neither the typical rapist nor the typical law enforcement officer nor the typical law maker in India reads The Guardian or any other foreign publication where India is named and shamed, I doubt the shame will catalyze any positive changes in India.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Uppili Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Please fellow friends. We should not be fighting like this.

The rape situation in the North - and more specifically, in Delhi -is due ot a lot of actors. Car rapes in Delhi has been going on for 20+ years, and has become worse. There are just as many cars and rich, college kids in Bombay and Bangalore. Then why only in Delhi it is so high. The young guys who own a car are very likely connected to influential people in Delhi - even indirectly or remotely. The cops deliberately hush up these rapes. The rest of the growing middle class has interpreted this ineptitude as "easy prey-easy rape" situation and have started using taxis, Autos, and BUSES to indulge in gang rape. Just notice the spurt in teenage rapes over the last 2 months - now, they know they would get - at best - a slap on the wrist.

Now, this rape demonstration has instilled confidence in the overwhelmingly male-dominated Haryana, UP to boldly express their suppressed feelings - in the form of car/bus gang rapes and throwing the women out on the street like a piece of garbage. Notice this does not happen much in Rajasthan or Himachal or even MP. Only in Delhi and areas in Haryana/UP neighborhoods of Delhi.

Deal Delhi with an iron hand, IGNORE all political interference, swiftly punish the criminals, and the problem will diminish drastically.

In short, do a Ribero on Delhi.

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:01 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it always amazes me that women like vidya bagchi and nenu are less outraged by the actual incidents reported in these kinds of articles than they are about their perception of bigotry on my part. talk about misplaced priorities! perhaps their safe perches in suburban new jersey and georgia, far away from urban rapelandia affords them this sort of cynicism.

Hello! you are turning the facts totally around. It is *you* who has been in outright denial and least bit outraged about the treatment of women in india (read india, not north india). You were showing outrage only at the incidents that happen in the north. Nah, it's not even an outrage. It seemed like you a glee at your chance to point fingers at north indians and their culture. No genuine outrage or turbulance was perceived though you tried to convince everyone that as a father of two girls, you indeed were troubled. That's a whole bunch of BS! Ppl are not fools.

It was I who was constantly stressing that the whole of India is a bad place for women and girls, not just north india. Yes, def'ly the incidents are higher in delhi and around those areas, but it def'ly is not a heaven at other places. Shockingly, you were in total denial of any molestation or sexual assualts of women in the south, bringing up the example of your female cousins always who were never molested in the public transportation in chennai.

Talk of hypocrisy and total lack of conscience. Jeez!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Uppili wrote:

Deal Delhi with an iron hand, IGNORE all political interference, swiftly punish the criminals, and the problem will diminish drastically.

>>> I agree. Delhi or Bombay or TN or wherever the hell it is, sentence the rapist scumbags to 10 years of hard labor and then shoot them. I can't say I am overly broken up about the POS that hanged himself in Tihar. Send the others there too. India needs to address this crisis pronto.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:31 pm

nenu wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it always amazes me that women like vidya bagchi and nenu are less outraged by the actual incidents reported in these kinds of articles than they are about their perception of bigotry on my part. talk about misplaced priorities! perhaps their safe perches in suburban new jersey and georgia, far away from urban rapelandia affords them this sort of cynicism.

Hello! you are turning the facts totally around. It is *you* who has been in outright denial and least bit outraged about the treatment of women in india (read india, not north india). You were showing outrage only at the incidents that happen in the north. Nah, it's not even an outrage. It seemed like you a glee at your chance to point fingers at north indians and their culture. No genuine outrage or turbulance was perceived though you tried to convince everyone that as a father of two girls, you indeed were troubled. That's a whole bunch of BS! Ppl are not fools.

It was I who was constantly stressing that the whole of India is a bad place for women and girls, not just north india. Yes, def'ly the incidents are higher in delhi and around those areas, but it def'ly is not a heaven at other places. Shockingly, you were in total denial of any molestation or sexual assualts of women in the south, bringing up the example of your female cousins always who were never molested in the public transportation in chennai.

Talk of hypocrisy and total lack of conscience. Jeez!

I'm outraged that the 2 women who get raped in Tamil Nadu everyday are NEVER discussed by mainstream media and folks here, while they curiously follow London, NYT media on Indian rapes. talk about misplaced priorities.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Kris wrote:
Uppili wrote:

>>> I agree. Delhi or Bombay or TN or wherever the hell it is, sentence the rapist scumbags to 10 years of hard labor and then shoot them. I can't say I am overly broken up about the POS that hanged himself in Tihar. Send the others there too. India needs to address this crisis pronto.

+1. Yes, it's a problem in the whole of India and it needs to be addressed. Bringing up one's own personal biases into this and pointing fingers at others and denying it/downplaying it among themselves shows total lack of sensitivity to this crisis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down