Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Math education

5 posters

Go down

Math education Empty Math education

Post by Rishi Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:38 am

Back home in India, We learned by rote that the sum of 1 + 2 +3 +4 ...+n =n(n+1)/2 .

May be we were shown how the formula came about by pairing numbers at the end points in a recursive manner and then find the grand total of the sum of each pair.

For example 1 + 10 =11, 2 + 9 = 11.... and so on. Then there are 5 such pairs and the sum of each pair = 11. So 5 * 11 =55

But the same concept can be explain geometrically with 55 dots in a triangle and finding the area,

I don't think they teach that way in India. Simply number crunching in your head.

That is why I think Indians do not have the ability to think in terms of pictures in solving a science or math problem which the westerners are good at.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Math education Empty Re: Math education

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:43 am

Rishi wrote:Back home in India, We learned by rote that the sum of 1 + 2 +3 +4 ...+n =n(n+1)/2 .

May be we were shown how the formula came about by pairing numbers at the end points in a recursive manner and then find the grand total of the sum of each pair.

For example 1 + 10 =11, 2 + 9 = 11.... and so on. Then there are 5 such pairs and the sum of each pair = 11. So 5 * 11 =55

But the same concept can be explain geometrically with 55 dots in a triangle and finding the area,

I don't think they teach that way in India. Simply number crunching in your head.

That is why I think Indians do not have the ability to think in terms of pictures in solving a science or math problem which the westerners are good at.

you often make these blanket statements with no basis in reality. plenty of kids that i went to school with had these abilities. i had great math teachers through most of my k-12 education in india. these were people who were passionate about what they did, and toiled in dinky little schools in nameless towns. i love them for what they did to my educational trajectory.

incidentally the way you state it is how gauss discovered the formula. my kids call it the rainbow technique.

http://www.sigmaxi.org/amscionline/gauss-snippets.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:46 am

Rishi wrote:Back home in India, We learned by rote that the sum of 1 + 2 +3 +4 ...+n =n(n+1)/2 .

I actually don't remember how my early education came about. By 4 I could do all arithmatic except division - could do only upto 2 digits. I only remember the specific teachers at different grades who made each subject interesting. The terror subject was history & geography but Mr. Subramaniam made it a jijubi at the nick of time.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:38 pm

rishi,
repetition provides the foundation. you cannot build a great structure on a weak foundation.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:38 pm

>>>>If I were to make a generalization here, I don't find americans at least to be good at math. I would take the indian method of practice, practice, practice any day over clever techniques at least as far as the basics go.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down