Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

+32
Obnoxious
Tejpal Singh Iyer
michelle2
noisy_dravidfan
b_A
Idéfix
Jebediah Mburuburu
churi.
Bittu
Another Brick
seven
Kris
Impedimenta
Admin
Captain Bhankas
Nila
goodcitizn
garam_kuta
bw
indophile
Maria S
ashaNirasha
pravalika nanda
Rekz
FluteHolder
MaxEntropy_Man
southindian
ashdoc
Propagandhi711
Hellsangel
Merlot Daruwala
Jeremiah Mburuburu
36 posters

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 5 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest Tue May 21, 2013 2:57 am

thayir vada. tastes like dahi vada without the sweet saunt and red chilli powder sprinkling.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 5 Imag0710

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 5 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue May 21, 2013 3:47 am

Breakfast today was dim sum. Siew Mai and prawn dumplings.

Lunch was all of old McDonald's farmyard on a plate: roast duck, roast pork, braised beef and honey chicken with steamed rice. Dessert was a chocolate petit-four and rum'n raisin ice cream.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue May 21, 2013 6:31 am

Huz - that thayir vadai looks delicious. Wow!
MD - I had dolce de leche with strawberries yesferday . Ha! I want to eat the same for breakdast today. Double ha! But I just got back from the gym. Life is unfair.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 21, 2013 7:31 am

Impedimenta wrote:Huz - that thayir vadai looks delicious. Wow!
thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Fri May 24, 2013 3:51 am

since savitabai has quit her job citing personal reasons, it is i and my wife who has been cooking food for the past 3 weeks. last night i made aloo-aloo in maharashtrian style and mixed it with rice for dinner. the kirana shops here were closed and i could not buy curd, but aloo-aloo, rice and curd is my favourite meal. i just ate leftovers again.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2013 5:09 am

Kanda Batata Rasaa looks good! will try it. txs for the tip captain.

btw what is "goda masala/black maharashtrian masala?" kokum is available here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Fri May 24, 2013 5:30 am

we usually purchase it from the local store (run by a brahmin family) that stocks authentic maharashtrian goodies used in a typical brahmin household. i don't trust kirana stores to match that quality.

i am not sure how it is prepared, but i trust sanjeev kapoor to be right. goda masala is the king of MH kitchen. and by that, i mean brahmin kitchen for i don't know much about how other households cook their food.

btw, i prefer tomatoes to kokum in this aloo-aloo preparation.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2013 5:33 am

wow. this is the equivalent of the bengali panch phoron. must try this. will try kanda batata rasaa and report kaptaan!

*salute*

- lance naik huzefa kapasi

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Fri May 24, 2013 6:03 am

LOL!
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2013 8:53 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:btw, i prefer tomatoes to kokum in this aloo-aloo preparation.
good idea. we will try with tomatoes too. some items like nag kesar and dagad phool (for the goda masala) are not available -- will try tomorrow morning in the market or skip if not available.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2013 11:12 am

kaptaan sahib,

batata aur rasaa ka matlab to pata hai. what is the meaning of kanda?

btw, we are making this item on sunday. tomorrow the missus wants to go to town searching for nagkeshar and dagad phool.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri May 24, 2013 11:15 am

Kanda is onion.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2013 11:29 am

thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat May 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Captain Bhankas wrote:since savitabai has quit her job citing personal reasons, it is i and my wife who has been cooking food for the past 3 weeks. last night i made aloo-aloo in maharashtrian style and mixed it with rice for dinner. the kirana shops here were closed and i could not buy curd, but aloo-aloo, rice and curd is my favourite meal. i just ate leftovers again.
** i'm surprised. why were you in the kitchen? except for my cousins who went to school here and lived in dorms etc, none of the men have even stepped into the kitchen.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat May 25, 2013 7:42 pm

o
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:thayir vada. tastes like dahi vada without the sweet saunt and red chilli powder sprinkling.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 5 Imag0710

>>>I thought Dahi Vada and Thair Vada were the same. Had barbecued ribs and chicken last night washed down with a robust cab. Enchiladas, Black beans and rice with a Peach Margarita for lunch a couple of hours ago. Missus may grill again tonight. She is taking this outdoor cooking a little too seriously of late, with the days getting sunnier.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 26, 2013 4:10 am

kanda batata rasaa. very very flavourful! slightly sweetish too. whole family loved it.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 5 Imag0711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 26, 2013 4:56 am

i just polished a katori of kbr despite having just lunched. i think this is the best aloo-aloo sabzi i have tried. should go well with puris too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 26, 2013 5:17 am

Kris wrote:
>>>I thought Dahi Vada and Thair Vada were the same.
yes they are eejequalto the same. very slight differences in seasoning.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun May 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:kanda batata rasaa. very very flavourful! slightly sweetish too. whole family loved it.

this made me hungry too **drools**

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 26, 2013 2:13 pm

seven wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:kanda batata rasaa. very very flavourful! slightly sweetish too. whole family loved it.

this made me hungry too **drools**
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed May 29, 2013 6:26 am

Lunch was a 2.5hr long affair, starting with dimsum (sieu mai, pork bun) followed by roast goose and roast pork. The crispy brown, fat-filled skin of the roast goose was the highlight of the barbecued meat.

We needlessly ordered flied lice and some greens which we barely nibbled on. Dessert was an Oriental Romance sundae at the local Baskin Robbins. Came back and napped for three hours. Dis is da life.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed May 29, 2013 7:35 am

MD, i don't eat anything in your description above but i am jealous:-) oriental romance sundae? LOL, nice! i am eating my sorry looking oatmeal and strawberries....

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed May 29, 2013 9:14 am

Impedimenta wrote:MD, i don't eat anything in your description above but i am jealous:-) oriental romance sundae? LOL, nice! i am eating my sorry looking oatmeal and strawberries....

Forgot to mention: oriental romance was a scoop each of vanilla, chocolate and passionfruit, with roasted almond and large cubes of plain and coffee panacotta.

Btw, I just finished an 8-course dinner:

- Appetizer platter: marinated cucumber, roast pork belly, classic peking duck, soy-sauce marinated abalone

- Soup: Double-boiled crab claw clear broth with elm fungus and yellow fungus

- Sauteed jumbo prawns with lobster bisque accompanied by deep-fried scallops coated with taro crust

- Panfried garoupa (grouper) fillet with premium soy sauce

- Wok-fried dice wagyu and oyster mushrooms with peking scallion and spring onion

- Steamed bamboo pith rolls stuffed with spinach and bean sprout (the only veggie item)

- Fried rice braised with diced chicken, black truffle and wild mushroom

- Chilled sago cream with pomelo and mango

All in all, I've spent 4.5 hours on eating, out of the 9 hrs since I landed here at noon.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed May 29, 2013 9:36 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:MD, i don't eat anything in your description above but i am jealous:-) oriental romance sundae? LOL, nice! i am eating my sorry looking oatmeal and strawberries....

Forgot to mention: oriental romance was a scoop each of vanilla, chocolate and passionfruit, with roasted almond and large cubes of plain and coffee panacotta.

- Appetizer platter: marinated cucumber, roast pork belly, classic peking duck, soy-sauce marinated abalone

- Sauteed jumbo prawns with lobster bisque accompanied by deep-fried scallops coated with taro crust

- Wok-fried dice wagyu and oyster mushrooms with peking scallion and spring onion

- Steamed bamboo pith rolls stuffed with spinach and bean sprout (the only veggie item)

All in all, I've spent 4.5 hours on eating, out of the 9 hrs since I landed here at noon.

sir, do you need CPR? just checking:-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed May 29, 2013 9:47 am

If you're administering, I'm always in the market for CPR
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 29, 2013 9:58 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

as i read thru this, was gonna say, 'all this in mumbai'? then realized you have landed somewhere... where? singapore? hongkong? somewhere in china?

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed May 29, 2013 10:00 am

This is HK
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 29, 2013 10:11 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:This is HK

Cool.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed May 29, 2013 7:35 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Lunch was a 2.5hr long affair, starting with dimsum (sieu mai, pork bun) followed by roast goose and roast pork. The crispy brown, fat-filled skin of the roast goose was the highlight of the barbecued meat.

We needlessly ordered flied lice and some greens which we barely nibbled on. Dessert was an Oriental Romance sundae at the local Baskin Robbins. Came back and napped for three hours. Dis is da life.
** do you mean "fried rice?"

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed May 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

** it's all too much. it makes me think of gauzy, gaudy, sequined northindian lehengas.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Wed May 29, 2013 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 30, 2013 1:52 am

HK, that KBR looks awesome. that should make a 'kar or an 'e happy. i like how onion is clearly seen in that dish. that's the way to make it.

how i want to add it and curd to rice and eat! but i think i will settle for something else in the canteen.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu May 30, 2013 1:55 am

pravalika nanda wrote:** i'm surprised. why were you in the kitchen? except for my cousins who went to school here and lived in dorms etc, none of the men have even stepped into the kitchen.

i have lived as a bachelor for far too long to not step into the kitchen. if savitabai or kavitabai isn't reporting to work, and w is busy or isn't home, i don't mind making a dish or two. there are only 6-7 that i know how to cook, though.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu May 30, 2013 10:11 am

Another Brick wrote:HK, that KBR looks awesome. that should make a 'kar or an 'e happy. i like how onion is clearly seen in that dish. that's the way to make it.

how i want to add it and curd to rice and eat! but i think i will settle for something else in the canteen.

tut..tut..another closeted wussy iyer boy - wannabe venkatraman Wink

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:23 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 5 UEgO56a
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 5 BfRnvOX
nice and colourful lunch! why are you not using the such server for hosting pics? imgur will delete them after a while.
ha ha ha!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:30 am

pravalika nanda wrote:** it's all too much. it makes me think of gauzy, gaudy, sequined northindian lehengas.

Eh? A Chinese banquet makes you think of gauzy, gaudy, sequined northindian lehengas??

Sounds like someone's having nautchgirl fantasies now.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:** it's all too much. it makes me think of gauzy, gaudy, sequined northindian lehengas.

Eh? A Chinese banquet makes you think of gauzy, gaudy, sequined northindian lehengas??
** a banquet? sounds like something i'd eat if i was stranded in a forest. you eat like a northindian woman gets made up - overmuch. pls don't stop eating like that, we like your lists. ciao and have a good week ahead.

Sounds like someone's having nautchgirl fantasies now.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Nephew: The item missing in your menu of menagerie is the snake. As the guest of honor they'd have brought a serpent to your table, sliced it open, removed the heart while still ticking, thrown it in your wine and said kompei, didn't they? Razz

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:57 pm

goodcitizn wrote:

Nephew: The item missing in your menu of menagerie is the snake. As the guest of honor they'd have brought a serpent to your table, sliced it open, removed the heart while still ticking, thrown it in your wine and said kompei, didn't they? Razz

Why would they Kompei in a Cantonese speaking place? BTW it is kampai.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

The last time I was in HK, "cheers" in chinese sounded like kompei. I looked it up and in Mandarin it is gan bei and gon bui in Cantonese. Close enough! Wink

Last edited by goodcitizn on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:27 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

The last time I was in HK, "cheers" in chinese sounded like kompei. I looked it up and in Mandarin it is gan bei. Close enough! Wink

Gom bui in Cantonese. I haven't heard much Mandarin in Hong Kong.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

The last time I was in HK, "cheers" in chinese sounded like kompei. I looked it up and in Mandarin it is gan bei. Close enough! Wink

See above edit. Mandarin is picking up although the main language there is Cantonese.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:09 am

(for bittu). langDA aams of this season. these are "ripened in the tree" variety -- gachpakau in hindi or bengali rural speak here. they taste more fresh than the box ripened ones. very sweet.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 5 Imag0712

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks for posting this mango picture. I stared at it for several minutes and experienced all kinds of crazy sensations, emotions and explosions.

mind blowing.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:27 am

lmao you joker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:05 pm

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 5 GPxFKPZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:16 am

Hellsangel wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

>>>Maybe now, with the influx of businessmen from the North. I can't make out the difference anyhow. An old Taiwanese friend used to point out disdainfully that Cantonese speakers ate monkeys. Considering he was of Han Chinese stock and given the culinary variety of mainland China, I couldn't understand this.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:41 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 5 GPxFKPZ

What. This is not a known store or sweet in Hyderabad? I was told it is very famous. I liked it too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:50 am

Karachi bakery is the *most* famous bakery store in India. The karachi fruit biscuits are especially very popular. Whenever I go to India, I carry a few boxes of them here and distribute.

The fruit biscuits from Pista House (also based in hyderabad) taste closest to the karachi fruit biscuits. we are getting them here now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:04 am

nenu wrote:Karachi bakery is the *most* famous bakery store in India. The karachi fruit biscuits are especially very popular. Whenever I go to India, I carry a few boxes of them here and distribute.

The fruit biscuits from Pista House (also based in hyderabad) taste closest to the karachi fruit biscuits. we are getting them here now.

cool. xh brought it for me. but then the moment I went for the second one, told me not to eat too much and gain more weight. Rolling Eyes He himself has lost some weight so he thinks he can say anything to anyone. Like I don't have enough "well-wishers" on my case already.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:27 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
nenu wrote:Karachi bakery is the *most* famous bakery store in India. The karachi fruit biscuits are especially very popular. Whenever I go to India, I carry a few boxes of them here and distribute.

cool. xh brought it for me. but then the moment I went for the second one, told me not to eat too much and gain more weight. Rolling Eyes He himself has lost some weight so he thinks he can say anything to anyone. Like I don't have enough "well-wishers" on my case already.

actually, those biscuits are loaded with calories (most prolly transfats). But they taste sooo good!(shouldn't be introducing them to B. He sure will start hogging on them. They taste so many times better than his triple ginger snaps from trader joe's). Anyway, sorry abt my lecture on both the topics the other day. I'm not the right candidate to do so like xh, i guess. I myself have 10-15 lbs to lose and struggling to do so Sad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next