Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

+32
Obnoxious
Tejpal Singh Iyer
michelle2
noisy_dravidfan
b_A
Idéfix
Jebediah Mburuburu
churi.
Bittu
Another Brick
seven
Kris
Impedimenta
Admin
Captain Bhankas
Nila
goodcitizn
garam_kuta
bw
indophile
Maria S
ashaNirasha
pravalika nanda
Rekz
FluteHolder
MaxEntropy_Man
southindian
ashdoc
Propagandhi711
Hellsangel
Merlot Daruwala
Jeremiah Mburuburu
36 posters

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:36 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
brie wrote:sorry kris i stand corrected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samosa#History wrote:The samosa is claimed to have originated in the Middle East (where it is known as sambosa[8]) prior to the 10th century.[9] Abolfazl Beyhaqi (995-1077), an Iranian historian mentioned it in his history, Tarikh-e Beyhaghi.[10] It was introduced to the Indian subcontinent in the 13th or 14th century by traders from Central Asia.[6]
Amir Khusro (1253–1325), a scholar and the royal poet of the Delhi Sultanate, wrote in around 1300 that the princes and nobles enjoyed the "samosa prepared from meat, ghee, onion and so on".[11][12]
Ibn Battuta, a 14th-century traveler and explorer, describes a meal at the court of Muhammad bin Tughluq, where the samushak orsambusak, a small pie stuffed with minced meat, almonds, pistachios, walnuts and spices, was served before the third course, ofpulao.[12][13]
The Ain-i-Akbari, a 16th-century Mughal document, mentions the recipe for qutab, which it says, “the people of Hindustan callsanbúsah”.[14]

samosa does not have sanskrit origins -- with wiki note demands citation in-link. 

And look at the sheer travesty of replacing mincemeat, almonds, pistachios and walnuts with aloo!!

lol. keema samosas are popular esp. in iftars. i get my quota from a sweet-shop near kalighat (they make good keema-ghugni too). do you get them in md. ali road or wherever?

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:18 am

brie wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
brie wrote:sorry kris i stand corrected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samosa#History wrote:The samosa is claimed to have originated in the Middle East (where it is known as sambosa[8]) prior to the 10th century.[9] Abolfazl Beyhaqi (995-1077), an Iranian historian mentioned it in his history, Tarikh-e Beyhaghi.[10] It was introduced to the Indian subcontinent in the 13th or 14th century by traders from Central Asia.[6]
Amir Khusro (1253–1325), a scholar and the royal poet of the Delhi Sultanate, wrote in around 1300 that the princes and nobles enjoyed the "samosa prepared from meat, ghee, onion and so on".[11][12]
Ibn Battuta, a 14th-century traveler and explorer, describes a meal at the court of Muhammad bin Tughluq, where the samushak orsambusak, a small pie stuffed with minced meat, almonds, pistachios, walnuts and spices, was served before the third course, ofpulao.[12][13]
The Ain-i-Akbari, a 16th-century Mughal document, mentions the recipe for qutab, which it says, “the people of Hindustan callsanbúsah”.[14]

samosa does not have sanskrit origins -- with wiki note demands citation in-link. 

And look at the sheer travesty of replacing mincemeat, almonds, pistachios and walnuts with aloo!!

lol. keema samosas are popular esp. in iftars. i get my quota from a sweet-shop near kalighat (they make good keema-ghugni too). do you get them in md. ali road or wherever?

Oh ya. All the Irani joints in Mbai serve excellent mutton samosas and mutton puffs. My fave place is Kyani (near Metro cinema) where the puffs are made mid-morning, so you can have them piping hot, fresh out of the oven at lunch time. Samosas are made in batches through out the day.

Any time I pass by the place, regardless of time of day, I have to have their greasy but lipsmackingly good keema pav.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:29 pm

Kris wrote:
brie wrote:i googled a bit more. samosa, the name, has sanskrit origins. it is more likely it reached ethiopia via the arab route.
>>>The Sanskrit origin is surprising. I would have thought there could have been more of a Mughal connection. I am trying to think if I have seen something like it in Arab* cuisine. As far as I can recall, I haven't which is why I surmised the Gujarati merchant route.

*Admittedly, my experience is limited in this area. I have had more exposure to North African/Berber cuisine.
Sambosa is Afghan in origin, I think.  It is a smaller, flatter version of the North Indian samosa. I haven't seen any Greek, Mediterranean, Persian or run of the mill Middle Eastern restaurants  offer it. If any kabob place has Sambosa on its menu, you can bet it is an Afghan place.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Central Asian. Check out Chaikhana Uzbekistan or Samarkand  in your neighborhood. They serve Samsas.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:13 pm

Serious question Brie - is it possible to get someone trained by ganpat. i'll pay for it and also sponsor their visa. 

i need someone to cook good food for me. if you dont mind, pls ask ganpat if he's game.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:14 pm

Not sure about Samsas, whether they are deep fried or not. They might be like Spanakopita, which are made with phyllo crust/ puff pastry and baked. Sambosas are definitely deep fried.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:21 am

seven wrote:Serious question Brie - is it possible to get someone trained by ganpat. i'll pay for it and also sponsor their visa. 

i need someone to cook good food for me. if you dont mind, pls ask ganpat if he's game.
lol ji lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:25 am

brie wrote:
seven wrote:Serious question Brie - is it possible to get someone trained by ganpat. i'll pay for it and also sponsor their visa. 

lol ji lol.
if you are really serious check your such notes. yes, he is game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:09 am

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 2015-123

just had it with lunch. best green chilli pickle i've had

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:35 am

For some reason, I was thinking Bedekar was a Bangalore brand. Turns out they are an old Girgaum family: http://vpbedekar.com/history.asp
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:50 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:For some reason, I was thinking Bedekar was a Bangalore brand. Turns out they are an old Girgaum family: http://vpbedekar.com/history.asp
no wonder! i could not get it from bangalore through kids (they could not find it) or bigbasket.com. i finally got it from mumbai. 

as i stated this was the best green chilli pickle i had (love green chilli pickle) -- north or mumbai though the method of preparation is the same. very fresh and not as hot as i was scared they'd turn out to be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:31 am

brie wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:For some reason, I was thinking Bedekar was a Bangalore brand. Turns out they are an old Girgaum family: http://vpbedekar.com/history.asp
no wonder! i could not get it from bangalore through kids (they could not find it) or bigbasket.com. i finally got it from mumbai. 

as i stated this was the best green chilli pickle i had (love green chilli pickle) -- north or mumbai though the method of preparation is the same. very fresh and not as hot as i was scared they'd turn out to be.

Actually, I'm getting confused with another Maharashtrian family-owned pickle brand that was quite popular in Bangalore when I was growing up. it's on the tip of my tongue..started with a P.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:35 pm

brie wrote:

wow...srsly, I find Bedekar's the most hot green chilli pickle. Try eating it neat affraid so violent, and pungent as well, which i love - only next to wasabi.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:12 am

garam_kuta wrote:
brie wrote:

wow...srsly, I find Bedekar's the most hot green chilli pickle.  Try eating it neat affraid so violent, and pungent as well, which i love - only next to wasabi.
lol. no thanks but i am not trying it neat. i like it with dal-chawal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:20 am

my brother's wife is from nazibabad, meerut. i had kachri for the first time at by brother's in laws' -- prepared by his mil. i had SO MUCH of it with hot parathas and then just kachri by itself that by bro's mil was highly amused (ye pagal aadmi hai). by sil sent it to me today because she knows i love it (it's got to be among the top ten dishes i have tasted):

http://foodchants.com/2013/01/08/uttarakhands-famous-singhare-ki-kachri/

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 2015-124

it has the tarty taste of ginger, green chillis, water chestnuts, lime and white butter (or ghee) that simply floods your mouth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:30 am

brie wrote:
i just read the recipe in this link. for anyone planning to make kachri at home, please DO NOT put the ingredients through a food processor -- you will end up with mayonnaise or mashed potatoes. crush the water chestnuts and blend the old way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:26 am

brie wrote:
brie wrote:
i just read the recipe in this link. for anyone planning to make kachri at home, please DO NOT put the ingredients through a food processor -- you will end up with mayonnaise or mashed potatoes. crush the water chestnuts and blend the old way.

Wow..so simple to make. I imagine it tastes delicious.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:38 am

NOVOTEL here i come!

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1151115/jsp/graphiti/story_53159.jsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:02 pm

Next time you are in Mbai, go to Diva Maharashtra in Mahim. Amazing food.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:42 am

finally got sirka (grandma used to love it and i haven't had it since i was 10) from allahabad. sirka = balsamic vinegar made of sugar cane with chunks of onions, chillies and garlic. 

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 2016-010What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 2016-011

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:37 am

the crockpot we bought through amazon burnt on first use (insulation burnt and the 440v to 220v chinese converter caught fire). amazon gave us full refund (rs 7k). then older got us a slow cooker from bangalore (rs 2.5k). the only difference between a crockpot and slow cooker is that while the former uses a stone vessel, the latter uses ceramic.

soaked rajma this morning for ten hours. boiled it for ten minutes and have now put it in the slow cooker for a 12 hours cycle. let's see what we get tomorrow.

had slow cooked vegetable stew with a dash of sirka for lunch today. delicious! stored the excess broth for later use. 

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 2016-012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:51 am

looks delicious… 

have you tried making goat/chicken broth? it's something i been reading up on e'once in a while for last 2-3 months. the search/curiosity began while i was searching up on gelatin for something unrelated. i bought a pure gelatin packet once, but have not used it so far. 

looks like the broth is the best source of gelatin, which in turn does have quite a few benefits. and seems like goat broth is the best in terms of nutrition, expenses, etc. and homemade is the best kind. but we don't buy goat/lamb that often (except for bbq), and the few times we buy wings w/bones, we don't bother to save the bones. as a kid, whenever mutton was made at home, we used to drink that soup too. 

anyway, the idea has been in my mind for a while now, and i have read through scores of recipes and best practices. But too many things going on for me to set the plan down and follow it one weekend. i think i will just go out and buy enough to make mutton at home, and also broth. don't think i will go the route of saving the bones in the freezer, and then make it after we have collected enough (the idea doesn't seem that appealing). will do it one of these days… i threw our last slow digital cooker, but will see if i need to buy one for this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:36 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:looks delicious… 

have you tried making goat/chicken broth? it's something i been reading up on e'once in a while for last 2-3 months. the search/curiosity began while i was searching up on gelatin for something unrelated. i bought a pure gelatin packet once, but have not used it so far. 

looks like the broth is the best source of gelatin, which in turn does have quite a few benefits. and seems like goat broth is the best in terms of nutrition, expenses, etc. and homemade is the best kind. but we don't buy goat/lamb that often (except for bbq), and the few times we buy wings w/bones, we don't bother to save the bones. as a kid, whenever mutton was made at home, we used to drink that soup too. 

anyway, the idea has been in my mind for a while now, and i have read through scores of recipes and best practices. But too many things going on for me to set the plan down and follow it one weekend. i think i will just go out and buy enough to make mutton at home, and also broth. don't think i will go the route of saving the bones in the freezer, and then make it after we have collected enough (the idea doesn't seem that appealing). will do it one of these days… i threw our last slow digital cooker, but will see if i need to buy one for this.

I did when my parents were visiting, it's good for joints. one big batch would last for 6 weeks of daily consumption. boiling the bones on low heat in a deep heavy bottomed pot is better than those slow cookers imo

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:10 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

I did when my parents were visiting, it's good for joints. one big batch would last for 6 weeks of daily consumption. boiling the bones on low heat in a deep heavy bottomed pot is better than those slow cookers imo

cool… will try it soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:53 am

what a coincidence! i was reading up on how to make gelatin sticks from chicken and pork broth yesterday. the sticks were required in soup dumplings. you'd fill the dumplings with gelatin and minced pork and when served hot, the gelatin would melt and flood your mouth with flavours.

will try making broth after we try dal makhani and nehari.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:00 pm

brie wrote:What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 2015-123

just had it with lunch. best green chilli pickle i've had

I love the tang and burn of this pickle. havent had it in a while, will hunt in desi stores today

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:11 pm

I made this today. Simple and easy to make. My boys love it!!

http://www.sailusfood.com/2008/11/11/kodi-vepudu-simple-chicken-fry/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:34 am

slow cooked bisibelabath with bedekar green chillies and greek yoghurt (lmost equivalent) raita -

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 2016-012

lovely! .|Sublime|. ate more than i should have.

would have tasted even better had we had made it in bangalore with home made zambar powder and fresh spices.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:29 am

brie wrote:slow cooked bisibelabath with bedekar green chillies and greek yoghurt (lmost equivalent) raita -

would have tasted even better had we had made it in bangalore with home made zambar powder and fresh spices.

yeah, not for nothing its known as concrete ! must say color of bisibelabath looks close to my liking, but even better if it was a little less brownish-red; that is not much tamarind, which messes up the taste for me with most south indian food that I get outside -restaurants/other homes.  Trust you had it with a bit of ghee, which is as important as the hot temperature for bisibelabath. generally oil-fried pappad /potato chips/ bhoondi mixture is served. here it looks sad, but that is inevitable when it is roasted directly over flame or done for too long in the oven or microwave - depends on the thickness.

the yogurt and the quintessential bedekar green chilli pickles combo, maan you are a connoisseur, no doubt!

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:06 am

garam_kuta wrote:
brie wrote:slow cooked bisibelabath with bedekar green chillies and greek yoghurt (lmost equivalent) raita -

yeah, not for nothing its known as concrete ! must say color of bisibelabath looks close to my liking, but even better if it was a little less brownish-red; that is not much tamarind, which messes up the taste for me with most south indian food that I get outside -restaurants/other homes.  Trust you had it with a bit of ghee, which is as important as the hot temperature for bisibelabath. generally oil-fried pappad /potato chips/ bhoondi mixture is served. here it looks sad, but that is inevitable when it is roasted directly over flame or done for too long in the oven or microwave - depends on the thickness.

the yogurt and the quintessential bedekar green chilli pickles combo, maan you are a connoisseur, no doubt!

damn, i forgot to add ghee (ghee in tadka aside). good thing our batch will feed me for three days so am going to top it up with ghee tomorrow for i LOVE ghee (besides it is VERY GOOD for health -- will turn your lipid profile to enviable levels... it's elixir, trust me). i'll switch to fried potato poppadoms tomorrow. too much tamarind, esp. in sambar, messes up the taste for me too. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:24 am

the URLAI ROAST!

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 2016-016

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:04 am

brie wrote:the URLAI ROAST!

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 2016-016

awesome! minimally spiced it appears, and that's wonderful.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:36 am

garam_kuta wrote:

thank you GK. i was reading your comments in the dinner thread. a couple of things i wanted to ask you:

- is there an equivalent of dahi bhindi in south or tambrahm cuisine? it's one of my favourite dishes and i like stuff in south indian masalas. dahi bhindi - http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dahi-bhindi-dahi-wali-bhindi/

- what's the difference between regular spinach and palak?

-----------------------------------

aside: hum bhi alu dum banayga! better than urlai roast! baby potatoes cooked on dum (slow-cooked) in a yellow mattar (peas) puree/gravy/base. will boast pics tomorrow! with a tadka! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

actually what i just described is a bengali delicacy. it's a fast disappearing street food (lo and behold! it has disappeared as i typed). vendors used to carry it in steel boxes and serve on sal leaves (when i was a kid) and would give you a toothpick too to eat with. my pics will have a bit more gravy -- that is because we will cook for three days and by the third day the gravy would have totally bhanised and you can, then, eat it with a toothpick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:51 am

Bendekai majjige huli...
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:13 am

brie wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 Browse

thank you GK. i was reading your comments in the dinner thread. a couple of things i wanted to ask you:

- is there an equivalent of dahi bhindi in south or tambrahm cuisine? it's one of my favourite dishes and i like stuff in south indian masalas.  dahi bhindi - http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dahi-bhindi-dahi-wali-bhindi/

aside: hum bhi alu dum banayga! better than urlai roast! baby potatoes cooked on dum (slow-cooked) in a yellow mattar (peas) puree/gravy/base. will boast pics tomorrow! with a tadka! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

actually what i just described is a bengali delicacy. it's a fast disappearing street food (lo and behold! it has disappeared as i typed). vendors used to carry it in steel boxes and serve on sal leaves (when i was a kid) and would give you a toothpick too to eat with. my pics will have a bit more gravy -- that is because we will cook for three days and by the third day the gravy would have totally bhanised and you can, then, eat it with a toothpick.
google recipes for vendakkai mor kuzhambu (please note the spelling "zh" in kuzhambu, texas).

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:41 am

garam-kuta wrote:
brie wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 Browse

- is there an equivalent of dahi bhindi in south or tambrahm cuisine? it's one of my favourite dishes and i like stuff in south indian masalas.  dahi bhindi - http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dahi-bhindi-dahi-wali-bhindi/

google recipes for vendakkai mor kuzhambu (please note the spelling "zh" in kuzhambu, texas).
lol, arlington. i will and texas!

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:05 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Bendekai majjige huli...

there are very many variations to this. Best is to fry bhindi separately, to deep brown in color. adding curry leaves while garnishing, and cilantro at the end are good; so is grinding cumin seeds with green chillies. key value addition - actually essential in my view is to use coconut oil, just like for avial; matter of fact for most kerala cuisine. Care should be taken to keep flame low, as coconut oil smokes relatively easily and gets burnt.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:08 am

kolkata boxwallah alu dom. not much masala here. delicious with loads of pepper.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 2016-017

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:25 pm

XH set this plate up for each of us y'day. Chicken sandwich (it may look dry, but was super juicy. and the roll too was soft), bread, and carrots. The little heart sticky is to hide my very ugly looking thumb.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 VguMqMB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:50 am

Seven wrote:you remembered! thats very sweet, hu..more so bcz you're now quitting.

i dont understand. the older u get the more time u have to spend online. like after retirement most of my relatives are now on FB etc (which is weird on FB ofcoz to have them around commenting on ur photos in line with ur frnds...but thats bsides the point...what i mean is growing old is no reason to quit forums.

Even I don't understand. How does life happen without our knowing how it happens? How did I get old not knowing when I did? I could never quit coffeehouse every time I wanted to but then how did I quit several times in the past?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:56 am

Guest wrote:multi coloured water balloons, courtesy vidya, for suchers to play holi with:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 17 ZhTTAfA

E N J O Y !!

Happy Holi... once again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Адам Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:13 pm

I'll take a note.
Адам
Адам

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17