Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

+32
Obnoxious
Tejpal Singh Iyer
michelle2
noisy_dravidfan
b_A
Idéfix
Jebediah Mburuburu
churi.
Bittu
Another Brick
seven
Kris
Impedimenta
Admin
Captain Bhankas
Nila
goodcitizn
garam_kuta
bw
indophile
Maria S
ashaNirasha
pravalika nanda
Rekz
FluteHolder
MaxEntropy_Man
southindian
ashdoc
Propagandhi711
Hellsangel
Merlot Daruwala
Jeremiah Mburuburu
36 posters

Page 10 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Impedimenta Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:37 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:HAPPY VISHWAKARMA POOJA OR VISHWAKARMA JAYANTI MD!

our vishwakarma lunch was tandoori pomfret. evening snack (to double as dinner) will be luchis and cholar dal at a pooja in one of our yards locally.

marinated pomfrets placed on the grill:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 20130912

the grill:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 20130913

sourcing charcoal was a problem -- we had to contact a dealer. as you know, in the US it is convenient -- you get them in packets in stores.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 20130914

this is a prestige charcoal grill:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 413rCEkvXdL._AA300_
HK, good looking grill, dude. but where do you store this? how hard is it to maintain/clean and stuff, back home? i am just curious.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:36 am

Impedimenta wrote:
HK, good looking grill, dude. but where do you store this? how hard is it to maintain/clean and stuff, back home? i am just curious.
hi club member. the grill folds neatly into a rectangular box so storing is not a problem. we have a small attic/loft in the kitchen -- that's where it goes. only the grill is washed with soap; the burner is cleaned with a wet cloth. it also has baffles or grids for more even temerature but we haven't used them yet. i think we will bring it out maybe 4/5 times a year. i think we will try chicken tikkas or chicken tangdis in winter (i don't know if it suitable for a whole tandoori chicken -- a tandoor might be more suitable for that).

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:11 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:HAPPY VISHWAKARMA POOJA OR VISHWAKARMA JAYANTI MD!

our vishwakarma lunch was tandoori pomfret. evening snack (to double as dinner) will be luchis and cholar dal at a pooja in one of our yards locally.

marinated pomfrets placed on the grill:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 20130912

the grill:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 20130913

sourcing charcoal was a problem -- we had to contact a dealer. as you know, in the US it is convenient -- you get them in packets in stores.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 20130914

this is a prestige charcoal grill:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 413rCEkvXdL._AA300_
ah, so you'll tell us more about the missing coal blocks. or else....there will be too much kebab tonight and very little of you

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:28 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
ah, so you'll tell us more about the missing coal blocks. or else....there will be too much kebab tonight and very little of you
illegal mining of coal is passe. illegal mining of sand and minerals is what is in the headlines now. i'm not much impressed with your knowledge about the indian scene. try harder next time... sawrry (dil pe mat lena).

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2013-09-14/news/42062340_1_illegal-mining-mining-baron-beach-sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:32 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:
hi club member. the grill folds neatly into a rectangular box so storing is not a problem. we have a small attic/loft in the kitchen -- that's where it goes. only the grill is washed with soap; the burner is cleaned with a wet cloth. it also has baffles or grids for more even temerature but we haven't used them yet. i think we will bring it out maybe 4/5 times a year. i think we will try chicken tikkas or chicken tangdis in winter (i don't know if it suitable for a whole tandoori chicken -- a tandoor might be more suitable for that).
>>>The promfret looks good. Gotta remember this next time she barbecues.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
illegal mining of coal is passe. illegal mining of sand and minerals is what is in the headlines now. i'm not much impressed with your knowledge about the indian scene. try harder next time... sawrry (dil pe mat lena).

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2013-09-14/news/42062340_1_illegal-mining-mining-baron-beach-sand
this requires too much effort.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:17 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

i wish you exhibited the same passion for the state of the indian economy and politics instead of obsessing over vacuous, unimportant stuff like dark, earthy skin and, as they used to say in old old sulekha, "atta girl! you brown, dusky beauty showed 'em whites who is prettiest!"

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:51 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

i wish you exhibited the same passion for the state of the indian economy and politics instead of obsessing over vacuous, unimportant stuff like dark, earthy skin and, as they used to say in old old sulekha, "atta girl! you brown, dusky beauty showed 'em whites who is prettiest!"
rich coming from someone who's only demonstrated passion is food.

who cares about the state of the indina economy or its politics if one can't even walk safely on the streets during the day?

still the educated thing to do is keep up with the news but i don't cuz it takes up too much time with no returns for me. it's fun to argue about politics but look at the number of links and reading idefix and max and ole lena etc are doing. and as far as i know it doesn't change outcomes. i stick to the things that i see and observe firsthand and one of them is racism and bigotry. i keep an eye on one or two political topics that have relevance to my work and my city and that's enough.

perhaps you'll take your own advice in order to balance the vacuous nature of my posts.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:18 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

rich coming from someone who's only demonstrated passion is food.

who cares about the state of the indina economy or its politics if one can't even walk safely on the streets during the day?

still the educated thing to do is keep up with the news but i don't cuz it takes up too much time with no returns for me. it's fun to argue about politics but look at the number of links and reading idefix and max and ole lena etc are doing. and as far as i know it doesn't change outcomes. i stick to the things that i see and observe firsthand and one of them is racism and bigotry. i keep an eye on one or two political topics that have relevance to my work and my city and that's enough.

perhaps you'll take your own advice in order to balance the vacuous nature of my posts.
i am not the one seeking higher moral ground or standing on a pedestal so attacking me will serve no purpose. you are the one lecturing and hectoring about how brown is beautiful. to think replacing arab looking actors with dusky girls will make the streets safe is ludicrous (if that were the message you wished to communicate by your lecturing -- it probably wasn't but you seem to have taken an even higher ground).

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:10 am

In anticipation of a super-typhoon, I had a lunch consisting of my favorite roast duck and roast pork, washed down with Tsingtao lawnmower beer.

Later in the evening, still waiting in my perch overseeing the harbour for any telltale signs of the promised typhoon, I finished half a bottle of a very mellow Shiraz-Malbec. In that very happy state of mind, I had a corned beef rueben for dinner, that was really awesome. The tang of the sauerkraut and mustard were nicely balanced by the beef. And for the first time, I had a rueben that was not of American proportions i.e. so humongous that I find it difficult to figure out where to begin.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:22 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:In anticipation of a super-typhoon, I had a lunch consisting of my favorite roast duck and roast pork, washed down with Tsingtao lawnmower beer.

Later in the evening, still waiting in my perch overseeing the harbour for any telltale signs of the promised typhoon, I finished half a bottle of a very mellow Shiraz-Malbec.  In that very happy state of mind, I had a corned beef rueben for dinner, that was really awesome. The tang of the sauerkraut and mustard were nicely balanced by the beef. And for the first time, I had a rueben that was not of American proportions i.e. so humongous that I find it difficult to figure out where to begin.
In the SAR waiting for Usagi, are we?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:26 am

had idli made with ragi flour this weekend and it was great. it was served with spicy chicken curry, which made it that much greater. what spoilt the experience was this lambic beer I got from central market, with it's sour after taste and smell

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:58 am

Hellsangel wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:In anticipation of a super-typhoon, I had a lunch consisting of my favorite roast duck and roast pork, washed down with Tsingtao lawnmower beer.

Later in the evening, still waiting in my perch overseeing the harbour for any telltale signs of the promised typhoon, I finished half a bottle of a very mellow Shiraz-Malbec.  In that very happy state of mind, I had a corned beef rueben for dinner, that was really awesome. The tang of the sauerkraut and mustard were nicely balanced by the beef. And for the first time, I had a rueben that was not of American proportions i.e. so humongous that I find it difficult to figure out where to begin.
In the SAR waiting for Usagi, are we?
Life must be good:

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1315771/hong-kong-quickly-returns-normal-after-storm-warnings-cancelled
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:39 am

Oh yeah. The so-called super-typhoon was a damp squib. It was just another dreary, rainy day. After all the hype and drama, Usagi was a letdown. The local TV channels tried their best to make the storm look worse than it was, with visuals of women wrestling with umbrellas in the strong gusts, but I still felt cheated of a spectacle.

The only consolation was that the Malbec was very good and I had the foresight to stock up on two bottles.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:16 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Oh yeah. The so-called super-typhoon was a damp squib. It was just another dreary, rainy day. After all the hype and drama, Usagi was a letdown. The local TV channels tried their best to make the storm look worse than it was, with visuals of women wrestling with umbrellas in the strong gusts, but I still felt cheated of a spectacle.

The only consolation was that the Malbec was very good and I had the foresight to stock up on two bottles.
hmm.. perhaps expecting rain songs or what? why 'but' there, buddy.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:45 am

garam_kuta wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:Oh yeah. The so-called super-typhoon was a damp squib. It was just another dreary, rainy day. After all the hype and drama, Usagi was a letdown. The local TV channels tried their best to make the storm look worse than it was, with visuals of women wrestling with umbrellas in the strong gusts, but I still felt cheated of a spectacle.

Oh I had high expectations of a "super" typhoon. But it turned out to be nothing. TV's best attempt to portray the storm flatteringly cut no ice with me - those women and their unruly umbrellas could well have been in New York on a gusty day. Hence the "but".
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:03 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

Oh I had high expectations of a "super" typhoon. But it turned out to be nothing. TV's best attempt to portray the storm flatteringly cut no ice with me - those women and their unruly umbrellas could well have been in New York on a gusty day. Hence the "but".
you wanted nature to put on a spectacular show while you sip your fancy wine? and you are disappointed that it went off course? think of all those people who may have suffered, the damage caused. time you attended the inner engineering course offered by sadhguru and made yourself a better person.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:45 am

bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

you wanted nature to put on a spectacular show while you sip your fancy wine? and you are disappointed that it went off course? think of all those people who may have suffered, the damage caused. time you attended the inner engineering course offered by sadhguru and made yourself a better person.
I'm waiting for Jnaneshwari Tapamma's grand debut to make myself a better person.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:24 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

I'm waiting for Jnaneshwari Tapamma's grand debut to make myself a better person.
of course! we plan to offer a holistic engineering workshop that will reengineer you at a bosonic level.

(yaay! got my first follower)

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:06 am

bw wrote:

(yaay! got my first follower)
Did you just call Mr. Drinkman a sucker?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:51 am

a humble lunch for retired folks

homemade mutton shami kebabs with homemade mutton biryani:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 20131010

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 2013-110

the kebabs were grilled on a non-stick surface with no oil:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 20131011

the biryani (with potatoes) was prepared last night for the entire kapasi household:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 20131012What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 20131013

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:44 am

wow..those heldhi ;)kabobs with translucent onions and the picture perfect right gradient of green - chilly, cilantro and lime (not lemon), fried onion amruth diffusing through the pearls of rice, hmmm. clearly a blessed family..can you fax ups the leftovers, bhaiya**

**we desperately need an icon for salivating that could also be used for drooling;)

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:56 am

garam_kuta wrote:**we desperately need an icon for salivating that could also be used for drooling;)
ha ha true that! you do eat non veg gk don't you? i ask these of all tambrahms just to be certain. Smile

edit. glad you liked the pics!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:44 am

for impy, who has been prowling on the dark side of late: chole bhature!!! for lunch

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 2013-115

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:43 am

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 Vadapa10

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:55 am

bw wrote:What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 Vadapa10
Vada pav with cherry on top?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:00 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:for impy, who has been prowling on the dark side of late: chole bhature!!! for lunch

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 2013-115
wow..impeccable bhaturae ! in the chole, embellishment with those glassy translucent concentric circles encompassed by exotic purple boundaried onion is so conspicuosly absent and of course the seductive shimmering fluorescent green chillies to walk you down the garden path is missling as well.. perhaps you rushed to take the picture before the bhature got deflated

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:02 am

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 Vadapa10
Vada pav with cherry on top?
..with cherry tomato on top - i don't like the concept of vada pav or pav baaji.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:06 am

tattooed, pierced hybrid pair of ...

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:13 am

hellsu, who would put a cherry on a vada pav? come on... it has to be a baby tomato. only garlic chutney can rescue a vada pav if at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:23 am

antidote - my very own panna cotta w raspberry sauce. i (very modestly) confess that i make this better than most restaurants.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 Pannac10

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:30 am

bw wrote:antidote - my very own panna cotta w raspberry sauce. i (very modestly) confess that i make this better than most restaurants.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 Pannac10
Oh wow! Looks delicious!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:46 am

looks delicious indeed! i just google panna cotta.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:00 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:looks delicious indeed! i just google panna cotta.
What is the closest Indian sweet to that?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 am

Hellsangel wrote:
good question! because of the use of gelatin (that gives it the smooth texture), there isn't any indian equivalent. but a comparison can be made with rabri -- both are cream, milk, sugar and served cold. there are many other indian sweets that are milk + sugar + cold but only rabri (i think) sticks to the bare essentials and doesn't involve khoya or pulses or ghee or deep frying. but i'm the wrong person to ask this question of. i am not much into desserts. MD is and is more knowledgeable about aspects culinary.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:13 pm

thanks, HA&HK.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:18 pm

bw wrote:antidote - my very own panna cotta w raspberry sauce. i (very modestly) confess that i make this better than most restaurants.

Just saw this. Looks very delish. I particularly love raspberries and the sauce appears yummy. It doesn't seem easy to make.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:35 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Just saw this. Looks very delish. I particularly love raspberries and the sauce appears yummy. It doesn't seem easy to make.
thanks, GC. it isn't all that hard to make in terms of labour - getting the right consistency and flavour is the main challenge. syrups are rather easy to make. i added a dash of amaretto to the panna cotta.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:47 am

Hellsangel wrote:
Kharvas (Marathi) aka Junnu (Telugu). You know, that stuff that intrigued Vee Unkil for a long time.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 Kharvas

Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:12 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kharvas (Marathi) aka Junnu (Telugu).
that's a good one! well done o sweet tooth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:32 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Somewhere in a University town of not insignificant size, Achachan is rolling in his grave.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:38 am

Hellsangel wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Somewhere in a University town of not insignificant size, Achachan is rolling in his grave.
wallah biradar! hamara chachajan achachan khuda ko pyara ho gaya? hamara ankh me aansoo aa gaya sun kar. peshawar ka akhbaar me ye khabar nahi nikla.

hindostan me uska jaisa aadmi nahi tha. Sad  allah ka merzi ke bina kuch nahi hota.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:51 am

Hellsangel wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
wallah biradar! hamara chachajan achachan khuda ko pyara ho gaya? hamara ankh me aansoo aa gaya sun kar. peshawar ka akhbaar me ye khabar nahi nikla.

hindostan me uska jaisa aadmi nahi tha. Sad  allah ka merzi ke bina kuch nahi hota.
Woh Hindustan me nahi tha! Woh Amrikstan me tha!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:44 pm

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:for impy, who has been prowling on the dark side of late: chole bhature!!! for lunch

OMG, just saw this now. I know where i am headed tomorrow for lunch Smile

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:01 am

i made rabri today using sucralose. i added only cardamom using this recipe. it was as good as tiwari's rabri.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 2013-121

there are 2 styles of making rabri. this is the benares/kolkata style. the other style is: boil boil boil until milk condenses to 1/3rd or less; add nuts, kesar, cardamom etc. and freeze.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:16 am

Looks delicious. I'm a sucker for any milk-based dessert. If there's nothing, I'll eat a couple of spoons of plain Complan. That said, I ate and drank so much these last three weeks, I'm now off big meals (and desserts) for the next couple of weeks at least.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:28 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote: If there's nothing, I'll eat a couple of spoons of plain Complan.
ha ha! that sounds a lot like my younger. he is fond of sweets and yesterday he consumed a bowl of lactogen as there were no sweets in the kitchen. he relished my rabri today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:23 am

beef pho & cornish hen cooked vietnamese style (com ga) for lunch today

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:57 pm

home made (not by me) orange chicken w/rice and salad. Rice was a little dry, but the rest was good.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 10 DxbCGZq

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:13 am

I had fried brown rice for the first time, with vegetables - broccoli cabbage and julienned carrots for the first time at a Japanese place in the food court. very average stuff. this followed by coldstone's cheesecake fantasy. then I came home and had white tea with a fruit tart. I love fruit tarts.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next