Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Then why study medicine at all?

+2
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Rishi
6 posters

Go down

Then why study medicine at all? Empty Then why study medicine at all?

Post by Rishi Fri May 03, 2013 11:04 am

Shena Aggarwal, an MBBS
from the premier All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), had
bagged the top slot in the civil services examination 2011.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/education/civil-services-examination-2012-kerala-girl-emerges-topper_846273.html

The chances of she ever doing anything related to healthcare is almost zero.

If she wanted to become an IAS officer then she should have studied something else.

GOI spent a lot of tax payer's money training her to be a doctor.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Then why study medicine at all? Empty Re: Then why study medicine at all?

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Rishi wrote:Shena Aggarwal, an MBBS

http://zeenews.india.com/news/education/civil-services-examination-2012-kerala-girl-emerges-topper_846273.html

If she wanted to become an IAS officer then she should have studied something else.

That is where you are wrong... Typical desis think they should work all their lives in a field that they studied. In US, such a condition is not there. Anyone can study anything and work in anything. It brings a new perspective to the job. It is like saying all the CEOs with engineering background are wasting their skills in non-engineering companies.

For ex, this girl is likely to be appointed in the department of health, Planning commission, head of Government institutions as Administrators - including AIIMS, head of special task forces on health matters, oversee Pharma regulations, and so on.

In fact, there should be a much larger number of engineers and medicos in IAS. Right now you have English and history majors running corporations and industries - related ministries.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri May 03, 2013 12:52 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

That is where you are wrong... Typical desis think they should work all their lives in a field that they studied. In US, such a condition is not there. Anyone can study anything and work in anything. It brings a new perspective to the job. It is like saying all the CEOs with engineering background are wasting their skills in non-engineering companies.

For ex, this girl is likely to be appointed in the department of health, Planning commission, head of Government institutions as Administrators - including AIIMS, head of special task forces on health matters, oversee Pharma regulations, and so on.

In fact, there should be a much larger number of engineers and medicos in IAS. Right now you have English and history majors running corporations and industries - related ministries.

Are you sure?

I know a case of a guy with EE degree in IIT ended up as an IPS officer and died in a shoot out with some gangsters in Bihar.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri May 03, 2013 1:07 pm

I-know-a-case-of-a-guy who majored in Physics, went on to do law and then clerked under a supreme court judge, left all that, went to academia and is becoming a college president. He could compute the trajectory of the chalk piece thrown at him by students in class, but could not duck. He was good at throwing the rulebook at the aforementioned students and getting them 'rusticated'.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Rishi wrote:

The ones who are in IPS are those who could not make the top tier. Hence this Engineer was NOT good enough to be in IAS.

IPS wallas take orders from IAS wallas, who take orders from Political goons.

Are you sure?

I know a case of a guy with EE degree in IIT ended up as an IPS officer and died in a shoot out with some gangsters in Bihar.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri May 03, 2013 2:21 pm

In AP there is a fellow called Jayaprakashnarayan (JP) who heads the "Lok Satta" party. He did his MBBS in Guntur medical college and then did his IAS. Worked as a secretary in AP govt. and decided to go into politics. He had a reputation as an upright IAS officer who implemented a number of schemes for the common man. He is very bright, capable and honest.

Last year, one MLA in AP assembly had a heart attack and having an MLA trained as a medical doctor saved that fellow's life!

If JP becomes a Health minister, I am sure he will do a terrific job (considering that he is not corrupt and is an able administrator).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:In AP there is a fellow called Jayaprakashnarayan (JP) who heads the "Lok Satta" party. He did his MBBS in Guntur medical college and then did his IAS. Worked as a secretary in AP govt. and decided to go into politics. He had a reputation as an upright IAS officer who implemented a number of schemes for the common man. He is very bright, capable and honest.

Last year, one MLA in AP assembly had a heart attack and having an MLA trained as a medical doctor saved that fellow's life!

If JP becomes a Health minister, I am sure he will do a terrific job (considering that he is not corrupt and is an able administrator)

Please do not underestimate the Indian political System.

Corrupt he will be - when he becomes a minister, if not he never will be one.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Here is anotehr example:

Haritha V Kumar , a BTech, stands first in UPSC exam. She from Keral, and it means she will be an IAS officer.

But, here is the interesting part:

Haritha Kumar said: “I am very happy. You know, nobody expects that
one will get first rank. I thank God and parents. Special thanks to my
teachers and friends. I could not clear the examination in my first
attempt. I got 179th rank in the second attempt and got IRS. My rank
dropped to 294 in the third attempt. I did not lose heart and my efforts
have borne the fruits.”

Though an engineer, Kumar
took Economics and Malayalam Literature as her optional subjects. “One’s
life revolves around Economics so I took the subject. I took Malayalam
as it is my mother tongue and also I have a special liking for the
language since my childhood,” she said.

So she is not naturally smart, but smart enough with perseverance and hard work. Although someone with "varied" interest in econ and malayalam (Duh...which Engineer takes language except the McTamilian here?).

Lesson: It is one common exam - UPSC. based on the rank one gets, they get IAS (even more elite IFS within that), IPS, IRS, etc...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 03, 2013 6:19 pm

More about this IAS, IFS system work:

The 2012 results, declared here on Friday, indicated that it was
essentially a women’s show. A total of 998 candidates have been selected
for filling 180 vacancies in the Indian Administrative Service (IAS),
30 in the Indian Foreign Service (IFS), 150 in the Indian Police Service
(IPS), 630 Central Services Group ‘A’ and 101 Central Services Group
‘B’ vacancies across the country.

In Central Services
Group “A”& “B”, 34 vacancies are meant for physically challenged
candidates. Of the successful candidates, 753 were men and 245 women. A
Total of 457 successful candidates including 23 physically challenged
were from the General category, 295 including nine physically challenged
from Other Backward Classes, 169 including two physically challenged
from Scheduled Castes and 77 from Scheduled Tribes.

Over
2.71 lakh candidates appeared in the Civil Services (preliminary)
examination, 2012. Of them, 13,092 qualified for the main examination
held in October, 2012, of which 2,674 candidates were selected for the
personality test conducted in March-April, 2013.

P.S. All this is my own research and nothing is copied from anywhere.

P.S. 2: I am waiting for the day when there is a quota for mentally challenged. (perhaps within the next 10 years).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri May 03, 2013 7:49 pm

** I agree with you and I think this may have to do with the Indian obsession of accumulating degrees to proves one's usefulness and braininess. I was appalled when two springs ago, I found myself helping my uncle out in his hospital in a small village where 50% of the physicians had no empathy for their patients. Their training is obsolete and mediocre, they don't practice evidence-based medicine, they receive a tremendous amount of respect from the village-folk or city-folk, frequently flew off to Europe, Japan etc. for lectures to enhance their training and really this amounted to nothing more than a silly holiday. The drug companies that sponsor such trips need to think about how to give back in a meaningful way.
** People like her need to spend time abroad getting educated, in her case if she wants a career in healthcare an MBA in healthcare management would be helpful. And maybe get merck or J&J to pay for it instead of that dumb trip to Europe.
** most of these indian people only know how to memorize and ace tests. they only grow a brain after spending a few years in America.
alright, ciao

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Fri May 03, 2013 8:52 pm

Rishi wrote:

Are you sure?

I don't know why but I LOLed hard after reading that line.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down