Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A huge discovery about prime numbers—and what it means for the future of math.

3 posters

Go down

A huge discovery about prime numbers—and what it means for the future of math. Empty A huge discovery about prime numbers—and what it means for the future of math.

Post by Rishi Thu May 23, 2013 9:59 pm

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/do_the_math/2013/05/yitang_zhang_twin_primes_conjecture_a_huge_discovery_about_prime_numbers.html

The stereotype, outmoded though it is,
is that new mathematical discoveries emerge from the minds of dewy
young geniuses. But Zhang is over 50. What’s more, he hasn’t published a
paper since 2001.

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/features/science-news/unheralded-mathematician-bridges-the-prime-gap/

Rumors swept through the mathematics community that a great advance had
been made by a researcher no one seemed to know — someone whose talents
had been so overlooked after he earned his doctorate in 1991 that he had
found it difficult to get an academic job, working for several years as
an accountant and even in a Subway sandwich shop.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

A huge discovery about prime numbers—and what it means for the future of math. Empty Re: A huge discovery about prime numbers—and what it means for the future of math.

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu May 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Rumors swept through the mathematics community that a great advance had been made by a researcher no one seemed to know — someone whose talents had been so overlooked after he earned his doctorate in 1991 that he had found it difficult to get an academic job, working for several years as an accountant and even in a Subway sandwich shop.

Shows why rarely good people go for PhD these days....

...more later.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

A huge discovery about prime numbers—and what it means for the future of math. Empty Re: A huge discovery about prime numbers—and what it means for the future of math.

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu May 23, 2013 10:21 pm

great story. theoretical physicists and mathematicians always value youth. basically you are not supposed to make stunning discoveries after turning thirty because you are too set in your ways. not only is this guy old by mathematician/theoretical physicist standards, he also seems like someone who only has a contract appointment, not a permanent member of the faculty. basically teaches ugrad calculus courses. thanks for posting.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu May 23, 2013 10:21 pm

Zhang said he feels no resentment about the relative obscurity of his
career thus far. “My mind is very peaceful. I don’t care so much about
the money, or the honor,” he said. “I like to be very quiet and keep
working by myself.”

I guess when he used the word honor, he meant awards, prizes, medals etc

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down