Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About this cricket business in India

+3
southindian
MaxEntropy_Man
Rishi
7 posters

Go down

About this cricket business in India Empty About this cricket business in India

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:36 am

LOng time back Tamil cricketer S. Venkataraghavan was made the captain. My co-workers in India at that time, a Marathi and a Kashmiri simply could not stomach the fact that a Tamil man who is not fluent in Hindi was made to lead the Indian team.

I am least interested in that game. It could be well that Venkataraghavan was not that good.

The main point is a typical NI is more enthusiastic about someone from Rajasthan or a Muslim from Hyderabad than a Tamil who is not acculturated in the NI (Hindian) ways.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

About this cricket business in India Empty Re: About this cricket business in India

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:10 am

i think venkat stepped in at a time when lots of people in the team were not getting along with gavaskar, and kapil had just started his career. he was an ok captain, but india played mainly for draws in that era anyway.

there was a time when marathis ruled the roost in indian cricket, but i have a sense that it is more democratic now. many of the payers who succeeded phenomenally in the last several decades have been from karnataka or AP. tamilians are also being given lots of chances, but they need to make some solid contributions -- many have great potential murali vijay, ashwin, dinesh karthik, mukund etc. of these only ashwin has made steady contributions and done enough to displace a frontline cricketer from the team (harbhajan singh) to earn a lasting place in the team.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

About this cricket business in India Empty Re: About this cricket business in India

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:19 am

you could also argue that harbhajan did enough to displace harbhajan from the team.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:35 am

Agreed, but Srinivasan has now done a KV. He has done what Shah Rukh Khans, Tsarnaevs and KVs do playing the minority, regional and repressed card.

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/cricket/anti-south-indian-lobby-in-bcci-conspiring-against-me-n-srinivasan_762908.html

Weak humans, who enjoy while everything is good around them and then blame the system. The gullible tag along.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:44 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think venkat stepped in at a time when lots of people in the team were not getting along with gavaskar, and kapil had just started his career. he was an ok captain, but india played mainly for draws in that era anyway.

there was a time when marathis ruled the roost in indian cricket, but i have a sense that it is more democratic now. many of the payers who succeeded phenomenally in the last several decades have been from karnataka or AP. tamilians are also being given lots of chances, but they need to make some solid contributions -- many have great potential murali vijay, ashwin, dinesh karthik, mukund etc. of these only ashwin has made steady contributions and done enough to displace a frontline cricketer from the team (harbhajan singh) to earn a lasting place in the team.

There was a time when there were 7 to 8 players in the Indian team from Bombay alone.

Other than the 3 spinners, everyone was from Bombay... and they still desperately tried to replace Bedi with Shivalkar.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:58 am

Shivalkar was as good as any one of the Indian spin quartet.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:00 pm

truthbetold wrote:Shivalkar was as good as any one of the Indian spin quartet.

So were Doshi and Rajinder Goel of Haryana; Doshi got his chance when Bedi was indisposed as the otehrs were in their early to mid 30s by then.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:15 pm

So was vv. Kumar of tn.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:41 pm

VV Kumar - some thought was the bestest orthodox leg spinner. But he belong to the 60s and he did well in those 2 tests - just that he ran away from the Windies bowlers. You cant blame him as there was no helmet or restrictions on bouncers (or bumpers) bowled by Hall, Griffith, etc.

As a small boy I saw him in the 70s bowl and the batsmen really could never figure out where exactly the ball was pitching - it was such a beautiful archy trajectory. The batsman had to look "up" at the flight taking the ground off the eyesight - thus making it difficult to judge the relative position geometrically. Then not to mention his superbly disguised googlies.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:VV Kumar - some thought was the bestest orthodox leg spinner. But he belong to the 60s and he did well in those 2 tests - just that he ran away from the Windies bowlers. You cant blame him as there was no helmet or restrictions on bouncers (or bumpers) bowled by Hall, Griffith, etc.

As a small boy I saw him in the 70s bowl and the batsmen really could never figure out where exactly the ball was pitching - it was such a beautiful archy trajectory. The batsman had to look "up" at the flight taking the ground off the eyesight - thus making it difficult to judge the relative position geometrically. Then not to mention his superbly disguised googlies.

>>>Me too. I got his autograph as well. It was at some match in Loyola. One of my older cousins was a big fan of his and sing his praises as a leg spinner.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think venkat stepped in at a time when lots of people in the team were not getting along with gavaskar, and kapil had just started his career. he was an ok captain, but india played mainly for draws in that era anyway.

There was a time when there were 7 to 8 players in the Indian team from Bombay alone.

Other than the 3 spinners, everyone was from Bombay... and they still desperately tried to replace Bedi with Shivalkar.

>>>>Used to be my brother's gripe. Was Vijay Merchant one of the selectors then? He attributed the Bombay bias to him. I also read Tendulkar saying that if you want to play for India, you should have played in Shivaji park. I don't know if he said this or someone said he said this.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Kris wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:VV Kumar - some thought was the bestest orthodox leg spinner. But he belong to the 60s and he did well in those 2 tests - just that he ran away from the Windies bowlers. You cant blame him as there was no helmet or restrictions on bouncers (or bumpers) bowled by Hall, Griffith, etc.

>>>Me too. I got his autograph as well. It was at some match in Loyola. One of my older cousins was a big fan of his and sing his praises as a leg spinner.

whoa ! lemme ask you this: did engineer complete a century before lunch or not, against windies?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:32 pm

garam_kuta wrote:

whoa ! lemme ask you this: did engineer complete a century before lunch or not, against windies?

I am way too old to remember that...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Gk,
cricinfo says he plundered 94 before lunch against hall, Griffith, sobers, and Gibbs.f
Frederick's of windies scored a century before lunch against fearsome lillee and thomson.
At Perth if I remember correctly.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:34 pm

truthbetold wrote:Gk,
cricinfo says he plundered 94 before lunch against hall, Griffith, sobers, and Gibbs.f
Frederick's of windies scored a century before lunch against fearsome lillee and thomson.
At Perth if I remember correctly.

It is amazing that Engineer did that against no less than Hall/Griffith/Sobers with no helmet or too many other protective gears. Griffith was even notorious for bowling "beamers" directed straight at the face without pitching it.

Yes..it was Perth and fredericks scored 169 (I just checked). I believe that was also the match in which Lillie/Thomo injured quite a few windies and the Aussies expected Roberts/holding to return the favor to them. But, he kept up the ball and got some 7 wickets (I remembered this one right).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:36 pm

Uppili,
India used to be the best spin bowler team in 1970s. It also used to have spin pitches for tests. Some where along pitches became dead and spinners disappeared with harbhajan leading the show in 2010. What happened? This seems to true of domestic leagues?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:40 pm

Andy roberts. What a terrific bowler. He won the Indian series for west Indies. Marshall, holding, garner and Ambrose overshadow him.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down