Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Being politically illiterate and historically ambivalent.

+6
MaxEntropy_Man
SomeProfile
Seva Lamberdar
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Idéfix
Bittu
10 posters

Go down

Being politically illiterate and historically ambivalent.  Empty Being politically illiterate and historically ambivalent.

Post by Bittu Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:30 pm

I know that the President of this country is Obama. I know the Governor of NJ is that fat guy. No idea who the Gov of PA is - the state I live in. Not sure who's the Vice President of the country, is it Romney? Never knew what left-wing-right-wing means. I have never ever been involved with any activity to do with any body of government at any level.

Who was Jahangir and why should I care? Learning about him is going to do diddly to affect my present or my future. Don't really care about the past. Everyone has the same number of hours in a day and I'd rather spend mine looking into the here-and-now and things that can affect my future. Ironically, I *should* care about politics but it bores me to death.

I'm sure I'm not alone here. There are others who have no interest in politics or history. But am I missing out on anything? Can anyone give me compelling reasons WHY I should rethink my current stand on history and politics?

xoxo, Bittu

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Being politically illiterate and historically ambivalent.  Empty Re: Being politically illiterate and historically ambivalent.

Post by Idéfix Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:39 pm

You should not rethink this. You should spend time on things that you enjoy doing. If politics and history are not your interests, you don't lose anything significant by steering clear of those topics.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Being politically illiterate and historically ambivalent.  Empty Re: Being politically illiterate and historically ambivalent.

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Bittu wrote:I know that the President of this country is Obama. I know the Governor of NJ is that fat guy. No idea who the Gov of PA is - the state I live in. Not sure who's the Vice President of the country, is it Romney? Never knew what left-wing-right-wing means. I have never ever been involved with any activity to do with any body of government at any level.

Who was Jahangir and why should I care? Learning about him is going to do diddly to affect my present or my future. Don't really care about the past. Everyone has the same number of hours in a day and I'd rather spend mine looking into the here-and-now and things that can affect my future.  Ironically, I *should* care about politics but it bores me to death.

I'm sure I'm not alone here. There are others who have no interest in politics or history. But am I missing out on anything? Can anyone give me compelling reasons WHY I should rethink my current stand on history and politics?

xoxo, Bittu
You are perfectly fine. Like PP said...unless and until NJ (or PA) wants its own state you dont have to care.

But, you should know a little about NJ politics... bcz those fatsos hit your wallet. Not that you can do anything to change it but you can prepare for it if you can. PA Governor might cut school funding - selectively - and that might affect your kid in a subtle manner, or bring affirmative action in Pennsylvania Universities..., etc.

Of course, once you are in your 70s, you will need something to talk to otehr oldies and the safest topics are politics and religion/spirituality - unless you reconcile yourself with the interests of your Jatni. Then you both can mount wall boards with preachy statements...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Forgot to add: Absolutely zero interest in golf.

Friday is a good day for reflection, for kicking up some thoughts on self improvement and taking stock of things - where you are, where you wanna be and what the ef you're doing to get there. It's good to bounce these thoughts off others, and so, thank you for your opinion.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Bittu wrote:Forgot to add: Absolutely zero interest in golf.

Friday is.
I komboletely agree with you. I even followed the game and even understand it and even enjoy watching it on TV (only). But, I cannot imagine a buynch of fatsos and idiots spend all day hitting a ball once every 10 min...and call that a game...

Not my activity for the hyperactive disease I have.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:03 pm

"Can anyone give me compelling reasons WHY I should rethink my current stand on history and politics?" .. B.

>>> One of these days when your kid grows up to be 12 or 13 in PA and visits the Lincoln Memorial in Washington with his / her school friends, he / she might tell them "my dad doesn't even know the name of our current state governor or on which side our state was during the Civil War ... he is so dumb."
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Seva thanks but you missed the keyword: compelling

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Bittu wrote:Forgot to add: Absolutely zero interest in golf.
Me neither. In my line of work, golf is useful. But I still can't motivate myself to learn and play it, much less watch it on TV.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:33 pm

I can't believe nobody has said this - in the last few centuries, politics is almost totally about money. Oh, it may masquerade as if it is about religion and a bunch of other social issues, but ultimately it is about money. The religious and social issues sort themselves out in politics the moment they clash with big money interests. For example, Iran's - the whole nation's - entire course changed in the 70s due to oil money. Nowadays, when we think Iran and its problems, we think it is all about Islamic fundamentalism. But no, it was ultimately about money. That nation's course change has far reaching implications for all its people top to bottom, its neighbors and people who are far from being its neighbors.

And what happens with money affects the quality of your life and those of everyone around you. This is the reason why you should care about politics. You don't have to spend a lot of time on it, argue and discuss it with people, get worked up about it, etc. At the least educate yourself on who to vote for in the next elections, and vote in every election (the small local elections plus the big state and national elections).

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:46 pm

SomeProfile wrote:I can't believe nobody has said this - in the last few centuries, politics is almost totally about money. Oh, it may masquerade as if it is about religion and a bunch of other social issues, but ultimately it is about money. The religious and social issues sort themselves out in politics the moment they clash with big money interests. For example, Iran's - the whole nation's - entire course changed in the 70s due to oil money. Nowadays, when we think Iran and its problems, we think it is all about Islamic fundamentalism. But no, it was ultimately about money. That nation's course change has far reaching implications for all its people top to bottom, its neighbors and people who are far from being its neighbors.

And what happens with money affects the quality of your life and those of everyone around you. This is the reason why you should care about politics. You don't have to spend a lot of time on it, argue and discuss it with people, get worked up about it, etc. At the least educate yourself on who to vote for in the next elections, and vote in every election (the small local elections plus the big state and national elections).
i am quite sure he is as well informed if not more than the average indian guy in the US. he just likes to cultivate a certain image for reasons known only to himself.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:06 pm

Bittu wrote:I'm sure I'm not alone here. There are others who have no interest in politics or history. But am I missing out on anything? Can anyone give me compelling reasons WHY I should rethink my current stand on history and politics?
Skip history and politics. Religion as well. No need to rethink on those IMHO.

So let's see. You've given up alcohol. Good. Changed your eating habits with greater focus on health. Good. Spend more time with kids. Good. Looks like you are making excellent choices from the Mo we know of some 13 years ago.

Not sure how much free time you get. Depending on that perhaps you should revisit things you've always wanted to do yet kept putting in the back burner like photography, writing, music or whatever. Even cooking. Don't know about you but for me social parties more than a couple of times a month are a drain on patience and time. Of course, arguments with the wife or in-laws are rage-inducing to be avoided at all cost.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:22 pm

Bittu wrote:I know that the President of this country is Obama. I know the Governor of NJ is that fat guy. No idea who the Gov of PA is - the state I live in. Not sure who's the Vice President of the country, is it Romney? Never knew what left-wing-right-wing means. I have never ever been involved with any activity to do with any body of government at any level.

Who was Jahangir and why should I care? Learning about him is going to do diddly to affect my present or my future. Don't really care about the past. Everyone has the same number of hours in a day and I'd rather spend mine looking into the here-and-now and things that can affect my future.  Ironically, I *should* care about politics but it bores me to death.

xoxo, Bittu
>>>>Google is your best friend. You can always look up things as and when you need it. I happen to have an interest in both politics and history, but can't say they come up often in my day-to-day life. Ok, an interest in these things tend to be mistaken for intelligence by people, but that's only till they get to know the real person:). My suggestion would be to pursue the things you like. If you are more than 35, you have certainly earned the right to exclude things you don't care for.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:30 pm

This is the first post ever where bittu posted something truthful.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:51 am

i am a kombolete idiot when it comes to things before my time and those that don't have any tangible effect on my life. history and politics both fit that description. the political scene in india forces you to side with the bad guys so why bother? why get worked up over which poison is chosen?
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:17 am

xoxo, Bittu
Hey there is a nice restart of a great loving relationship with your Jatni. I bet she is in a similar boat as you are when it comes to these things. Just confirm it next time you are here for us. Will ya?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down