Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Jeremiah Mburuburu partially right about poor hygiene and sanitation in Hindus (historically speaking)?

2 posters

Go down

Is Jeremiah Mburuburu partially right about poor hygiene and sanitation in Hindus (historically speaking)?  Empty Is Jeremiah Mburuburu partially right about poor hygiene and sanitation in Hindus (historically speaking)?

Post by Guest Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:41 am

From Will Durant's 'Our Oriental Heritage':

Hindu law books give explicit rules for menstrual hygiene, and for meeting the demands of nature. Nothing could exceed in complexity or solemnity the ritual for Brahman defecation. The Twice-born must use only his left hand in this rite, and must cleanse the parts with water; and he considered his house defiled by the very presence of Europeans who contented themselves with paper. The Outcastes, however, and many Shudras, were less particular, and might turn any roadside into a privy. In the quarters occupied by these classes public sanitation was confined to an open sewer line in the middle of the street.

Back to top Go down

Is Jeremiah Mburuburu partially right about poor hygiene and sanitation in Hindus (historically speaking)?  Empty Re: Is Jeremiah Mburuburu partially right about poor hygiene and sanitation in Hindus (historically speaking)?

Post by Rishi Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:32 am

Rashmun wrote:From Will Durant's 'Our Oriental Heritage':

Hindu law books give explicit rules for menstrual hygiene, and for meeting the demands of nature. Nothing could exceed in complexity or solemnity the ritual for Brahman defecation. The Twice-born must use only his left hand in this rite, and must cleanse the parts with water; and he considered his house defiled by the very presence of Europeans who contented themselves with paper. The Outcastes, however, and many Shudras, were less particular, and might turn any roadside into a privy. In the quarters occupied by these classes public sanitation was confined to an open sewer line in the middle of the street.

This reminds me of the conversation I had with a Mudaliar guy who is a professor in a college. He told me that white women are more attracted to Iranian men than Indian men because both the whites and the Iranians are nari kuravans in their habits. He implied that both groups were dirty in their food habits and do not take bath often. The irony was that the same Mudaliar guy was complaining about how he was socially discriminated in the past by brahmins.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Is Jeremiah Mburuburu partially right about poor hygiene and sanitation in Hindus (historically speaking)?  Empty Re: Is Jeremiah Mburuburu partially right about poor hygiene and sanitation in Hindus (historically speaking)?

Post by Guest Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:29 pm

i think the greatest unifying factor between NIs and SIs is the overwhelming no. of brahmins in both provinces as represented in e-forums. of course, there are more e-SI brahmins per n e-SI than e-NI brahmins per n e-NI because there are more SI brahmins per n SI then NI brahmins per n NI or so i have heard/read. we should have more threads on this type of synthesis for the sake of national integration.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i think the greatest unifying factor between NIs and SIs is the overwhelming no. of brahmins in both provinces as represented in e-forums. of course, there are more e-SI brahmins per n e-SI than e-NI brahmins per n e-NI because there are more SI brahmins per n SI then NI brahmins per n NI or so i have heard/read. we should have more threads on this type of synthesis for the sake of national integration.

i believe you are mistaken. the percentages vary from state to state but here is an example: in Tamil Nadu, the percentage of brahmins is 3%. To the best of my knowledge this is also the approximate percentage of brahmins in the population in the other SI states. But in UP the percentage of brahmins is 9% of the population.

On another note, the three Indian communities who have a pan national identity are brahmins, dalits, and muslims.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:10 pm

The % of brahmins in ap is 1%.
brahmins is a barns or caste in Hinduism.
dalits is a political grouping of discriminated castes of Hinduism.
Muslims are a religion.
Putting them all together and branding them as pan Indians does not make logical sense.
banias or vysyas are pan Indian.
So are kshyattias.
yadavs are also found in most States.
Economic and cultural communications restricted interactions in the ore industrial times.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:31 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i think the greatest unifying factor between NIs and SIs is the overwhelming no. of brahmins in both provinces as represented in e-forums. of course, there are more e-SI brahmins per n e-SI than e-NI brahmins per n e-NI because there are more SI brahmins per n SI then NI brahmins per n NI or so i have heard/read. we should have more threads on this type of synthesis for the sake of national integration.

i believe you are mistaken. the percentages vary from state to state but here is an example: in Tamil Nadu, the percentage of brahmins is 3%. To the best of my knowledge this is also the approximate percentage of brahmins in the population in the other SI states. But in UP the percentage of brahmins is 9% of the population.

On another note, the three Indian communities who have a pan national identity are brahmins, dalits, and muslims.
thanks! i stand corrected.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down