Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Jeremiah Mburuburu]

4 posters

Go down

[Jeremiah Mburuburu] Empty [Jeremiah Mburuburu]

Post by Guest Thu May 24, 2012 8:05 pm

The photo i give below had the following caption:
In the matrimonial market in Kerala, Gold plays a very pivotal role, irrespective of the religion. Depicted below is a representative sample from the three major religions: Hindu, Muslim and Christian.

[Jeremiah Mburuburu] 526760_461538520528742_100000177939338_101350418_1665203942_n

The attire of these women is not very different from what middle class north indian woman would wear on her wedding. With the exception of the flowers and the excessive gold jewellery. i found the wearing of excessive gold jewellery somewhat gaudy. Your comments?

Back to top Go down

[Jeremiah Mburuburu] Empty Re: [Jeremiah Mburuburu]

Post by Guest Thu May 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Also could you clarify which of these ladies is representing the hindu, muslim, and christian marriage dress?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 24, 2012 8:11 pm

Rashmun wrote:Also could you clarify which of these ladies is representing the hindu, muslim, and christian marriage dress?

my guess: the white dressed female represents a christian and the blue dressed one represents a muslim.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri May 25, 2012 1:18 am

that photograph appears to be entirely wrong. women in kerala don't wear so much gold; they wear relatively simple wedding clothes. that's especially true of the nairs and the syrian christians. the general idea is to *not* look "as if you're wearing everything you own." i also believe that the more educated one is, the less gold one tends to wear.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 1:28 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:that photograph appears to be entirely wrong. women in kerala don't wear so much gold; they wear relatively simple wedding clothes. that's especially true of the nairs and the syrian christians. the general idea is to *not* look "as if you're wearing everything you own." i also believe that the more educated one is, the less gold one tends to wear.

please type 'kerala wedding gold' in google images. You will find other pictures similar to the one i posted. also the picture and the caption in the original post were taken from the facebook page of Rajaputhran (who used to post on Sulekha).

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Fri May 25, 2012 3:54 am

Rashmun wrote:The photo i give below had the following caption:
In the matrimonial market in Kerala, Gold plays a very pivotal role, irrespective of the religion. Depicted below is a representative sample from the three major religions: Hindu, Muslim and Christian.

[Jeremiah Mburuburu] 526760_461538520528742_100000177939338_101350418_1665203942_n

The attire of these women is not very different from what middle class north indian woman would wear on her wedding. With the exception of the flowers and the excessive gold jewellery. i found the wearing of excessive gold jewellery somewhat gaudy. Your comments?

Which one of the three is a Muslim?

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 9:30 am

Kumarg wrote:
Rashmun wrote:The photo i give below had the following caption:

Which one of the three is a Muslim?

https://such.forumotion.com/t6413-jeremiah-mburuburu#50474

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 12:44 pm

http://www.the-nri.com/index.php/2010/10/indians-important-consumers-of-gold-as-investment/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Luke, i think you will agree that this is too gaudy:

http://forum.xcitefun.net/potential-gold-mines-found-in-kerala-t46471.html

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri May 25, 2012 4:09 pm

this doesn't look like matrimonial site ad or a matrimonial. This looks like an ad for a jewelery store ad. Jewelery store ads usually feature a woman in traditional attire decked from head to toe in gold. Smegma thatha is probably going senile.

We all know the obsession indians have over gold jewelery.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri May 25, 2012 9:40 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:this doesn't look like matrimonial site ad or a matrimonial. This looks like an ad for a jewelery store ad. Jewelery store ads usually feature a woman in traditional attire decked from head to toe in gold. Smegma thatha is probably going senile.

We all know the obsession indians have over gold jewelery.

>>>I thought they were the 'before' pics for some weight-watchers program.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun May 27, 2012 2:18 pm

here's a woman, an actress who's said to be a syrian christian, in a typical, kerala sari worn on special occasions by many women of kerala, syrian christian and hindu:

http://www.india-forums.com/event/4268/181970-asin-thottumkal-grace-ritesh-deshmukh-genelia-dsouza-wedding-ba.htm

to my knowledge, that sari is made of cotton, and there's not much variation in the design; it doesn't get more showy than that. the design of the necklace is also traditional, but i personally don't care for it. the wearing of flowers in the hair is not typical of syrian christian (s.c.) women.

most s.c. women don't wear that traditional, nearly single-style sari at their own weddings; they wear rich, (hard-to-find) off-white conjeevarams, or more often, if i remember correctly, bengal silk saris with a rich sheen, in which off-whites and pastels are easier to find.

s.c women do *not* wear the pure white, gauzy sari or the veil-like head dress seen in the photograph you (rashmun) posted. if any covering of the head is needed during the wedding ceremony, it's done with the end of the bride's sari, or another new sari suitable for a bride.

here are some more photographs of that s.c. actress in her kerala sari.

http://www.fashioncirqle.com/2012/02/03/beautiful-asin-at-reitesh-genelia-wedding/

i must tell you, however, that the traditional clothing of the s.c. woman is *not* the sari at all; it's the "chaTTa" and the "muNDu" ensemble, plus a "kavaNi" for special occasions. it's all made of white cotton, with a tiny bit of zari (kashavu) when the occasion demands it. these are (an outwardly) modest people. the chaTTa-muNDu is rarely worn outside kerala, and is dying out even in kerala.

thank you for getting me to bore myself thoroughly with these descriptions. now, i need rest.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:here's a woman, an actress who's said to be a syrian christian, in a typical, kerala sari worn on special occasions by many women of kerala, syrian christian and hindu:

http://www.india-forums.com/event/4268/181970-asin-thottumkal-grace-ritesh-deshmukh-genelia-dsouza-wedding-ba.htm

to my knowledge, that sari is made of cotton, and there's not much variation in the design; it doesn't get more showy than that. the design of the necklace is also traditional, but i personally don't care for it. the wearing of flowers in the hair is not typical of syrian christian (s.c.) women.

most s.c. women don't wear that traditional, nearly single-style sari at their own weddings; they wear rich, (hard-to-find) off-white conjeevarams, or more often, if i remember correctly, bengal silk saris with a rich sheen, in which off-whites and pastels are easier to find.

s.c women do *not* wear the pure white, gauzy sari or the veil-like head dress seen in the photograph you (rashmun) posted. if any covering of the head is needed during the wedding ceremony, it's done with the end of the bride's sari, or another new sari suitable for a bride.

here are some more photographs of that s.c. actress in her kerala sari.

http://www.fashioncirqle.com/2012/02/03/beautiful-asin-at-reitesh-genelia-wedding/

i must tell you, however, that the traditional clothing of the s.c. woman is *not* the sari at all; it's the "chaTTa" and the "muNDu" ensemble, plus a "kavaNi" for special occasions. it's all made of white cotton, with a tiny bit of zari (kashavu) when the occasion demands it. these are (an outwardly) modest people. the chaTTa-muNDu is rarely worn outside kerala, and is dying out even in kerala.

thank you for getting me to bore myself thoroughly with these descriptions. now, i need rest.

the actress Asin is a syrian christian, but after all she is not attending her own wedding in these pictures so this is not a good example. A better example is the dress worn by the bride in this syrian christian wedding, and i have to agree with you that the jewellery is not garish; rather it is elegant. the dress of the bride is somewhat elaborate though. i would not call it garish, but i would not call it 'not showy' either.

http://www.fotowala.in/wedding-photography/a-syrian-christian-wedding-in-kerala/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27, 2012 8:09 pm

The following is a writeup on a Nair wedding as constrasted with a Syrian Christian wedding. I found this interesting:
-----

The bride at the wedding wore a spectacular saree and had more gold ornaments (jewelery) that I have ever seen on one person. She was literally covered with these gold ornaments with numerous necklaces, a heavy waist chain and each arm loaded with gold bangles. I would not be surprised if those gold ornaments weighed at least 6 pounds! Keep in mind that in Kerala the gold used is 22 carat in purity and so if I am right in my estimate of six pounds of gold ornaments, their value likely exceeded $180,000 just for the jewelery alone! Again, in Syrian Christian weddings although ornaments for a bride are an important part of the wedding, there is nothing like what I saw on the bride at this wedding.
Horoscopes are an important part of Nair weddings – and most Hindu weddings – but they are inconsequential when it comes to Syrian Christian weddings.

http://www.josephclan.com/tjblog/?p=1125
-----

The picture of the Nair bride (see the blog for yourself) again shows the heavy jewellery which i found a little gaudy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down