Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eminent orphans

+2
garam_kuta
Petrichor
6 posters

Go down

Eminent orphans Empty Eminent orphans

Post by Petrichor Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:41 pm

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/10/15/234737083/successful-children-who-lost-a-parent-why-are-there-so-many-of-them?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=nprfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Eminent orphans Empty Re: Eminent orphans

Post by garam_kuta Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:20 pm

the sample set- is it culturally diverse or skewed ?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:53 pm

Petrichor wrote:http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/10/15/234737083/successful-children-who-lost-a-parent-why-are-there-so-many-of-them?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=nprfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook
Moral: If your kid(s) dont do well, then it is all YOUR fault for not dying.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Petrichor wrote:http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/10/15/234737083/successful-children-who-lost-a-parent-why-are-there-so-many-of-them?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=nprfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook
why should one care once you are expired scratch

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:13 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
why should one care once you are expired scratch
Who cares after dying. This is all about Pre-dying worries. People die because of worries about consequences of their dying and now, of not dying...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:29 pm

>>> Malcolm Gladwell somehow comes up with weird correlations like this and is able to make a ton of money writing books and articles by including anecdotes supporting his 'thesis'.

What next?

People who have cats for pets are more introverted than dog owners?

One reason could be that people who have dogs take them out for walks every day and get to meet and socialize with other people doing the same. They are naturally inclined to be extroverts.

But cat owners cannot walk their cats. So they sit at home and watch TV or read a book.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:36 am

Rishi wrote:>>> Malcolm Gladwell somehow comes up with weird correlations like this and is able to make a ton of money writing books and articles by including anecdotes supporting his 'thesis'.

What next?

People who have cats for pets are more introverted than dog owners?

One reason could be that people who have dogs take them out for walks every day and get to meet and socialize with other people doing the same. They are naturally inclined to be extroverts.

But cat owners cannot walk their cats. So they sit at home and watch TV or read a book.
profiling ?..hmmm..who are we talkin' about, rishi Wink

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:03 am

Three of my four grandparents, paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather and grandmother, became orphans at early age and were brought up by distant relatives. They did well.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:16 am

garam_kuta wrote:the sample set- is it culturally diverse or skewed ?
this does not apply to blacks and the groups that do not pay any taxes.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:19 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Three of my four grandparents, paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather and grandmother, became orphans at early age and were brought up by distant relatives. They did well.
i think gladwell talks about doing eminently well...i can't imagine this being universal ... these're most likely to be outliers.. vis-a-vis deliberate practice & 10K hours is most likely to generate greatness and success; for that, one need not be orphaned, i should think

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:28 am

garam_kuta wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:Three of my four grandparents, paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather and grandmother, became orphans at early age and were brought up by distant relatives. They did well.
i think gladwell talks about doing eminently well...i can't imagine this being universal ... these're most likely to be outliers.. vis-a-vis deliberate practice & 10K hours is most likely to generate greatness and success; for that, one need not be orphaned, i should think
I would say my grandparents did "eminently" well, without any schooling or help from Govt. (e.g. affirmative action or caste quotas).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:40 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
I would say my grandparents did "eminently" well, without any schooling or help from Govt. (e.g. affirmative action or caste quotas).
Sevaji, I don't think this applies to Indians; having born with a silver spoon in mouth ensures that kid will be successful. 99.99% guaranteed in India.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:27 am

Wonder if "absent" parents = "dead" parents!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Petrichor wrote:Wonder if "absent" parents = "dead" parents!
hmm..interesting euphemism (!) and adds another dimension - depraved negligence

now, how about those "rejected" parents -  would they fit in the depraved negligence (by the children) category ? may be not - depends on the age of the 'children' i guess..

again, now takes me to the other side...about aged parents uncared for by their children, do they perform better scratch grr.. it's all getting too complex..

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down