Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hydrogen vs. Electric vs. Natural gas

+3
indophile
Hellsangel
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
7 posters

Go down

Hydrogen vs. Electric vs. Natural gas Empty Hydrogen vs. Electric vs. Natural gas

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:03 am

....car race in this decade....

all these need electricity to produce the energy needed to drive the car.

So...which one will be winner commercially and which one environmentally?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Hydrogen vs. Electric vs. Natural gas Empty Re: Hydrogen vs. Electric vs. Natural gas

Post by Hellsangel Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:58 pm

When are you buying your BMW i3, your Holiness?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Hydrogen vs. Electric vs. Natural gas Empty Re: Hydrogen vs. Electric vs. Natural gas

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:12 pm

Hellsangel wrote:When are you buying your BMW i3, your Holiness?
My finances are not in good shape and I may soon be dowgrading to a moped... (I saw a bicycle fitted with a little gas engine you find in lawn edgers.)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:When are you buying your BMW i3, your Holiness?
My finances are not in good shape and I may soon be dowgrading to a moped... (I saw a bicycle fitted with a little gas engine you find in lawn edgers.)
This review should motivate you, your Holiness:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-bmw-i3-first-drive-review
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:23 pm

I thought BMW makes bikes too. 
Back to your question. Natural gas technology is already mature. It puts out very little pollution, and gas is abundant.
Hydrogen is far out.
Electric is great, if only it can match the IC technology in acceleration, range, etc.
Therefore, I vote for gas, I mean the the one used for fuel.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

indophile wrote:I thought BMW makes bikes too. 
Motorcycles? Oh yes!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Back to your question. Natural gas technology is already mature. It puts out very little pollution, and gas is abundant.
Hydrogen is far out.
Electric is great, if only it can match the IC technology in acceleration, range, etc.
tesla model S beats any car out there hands down in acceleration, quality, safety etc. range, not so much. and the germans are working on competing vehicles. nat gas and hydrogen are not desirable due to safety concerns.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:00 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Hydrogen is far out.
tesla model S beats any car out there hands down in acceleration, quality, safety etc. range, not so much. and the germans are working on competing vehicles. nat gas and hydrogen are not desirable due to safety concerns.
are you removing the post script or do you plan to continue making a fool of yourself?

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:02 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Hydrogen is far out.
are you removing the post script or do you plan to continue making a fool of yourself?
go fuck yourself

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Hydrogen is far out.
go fuck yourself
back to Fisherman Language? Are you embarrassed now that your obsession with me has been brought to the attention of other posters?

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:06 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Hydrogen is far out.
go fuck yourself
back to Fisherman Language? Are you embarrassed now that your obsession with me has been brought to the attention of other posters?
yeah that's it

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:26 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Hydrogen is far out.
go fuck yourself
Who are those posters?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Hydrogen is far out.
Compared to petroleum how unsafe is natural gas?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:tesla model S beats any car out there hands down in acceleration, quality, safety etc. range, not so much. and the germans are working on competing vehicles. nat gas and hydrogen are not desirable due to safety concerns.
I went in a Taxi powered by natural gas. The tank was about double the size of Indian cooking gas cylinders in length, and was fitted in the trunk. This was in 1991 and it was in a Ford Fairmont.

Your car has gasoline vapors and spark ignition coils generating 1000s of Volt. The gas tank is an Al-queda quality Kaboom device. hydrogen "bottles are carried in trucks around town all the time, Buses all over run on natural and propane gas all the time.

So the safety issues is not a biggie. The issue is hydrogen may be produced by hydrolysis that requires electricity, which in turn comes from somewhere. so all in all, it may be even less efficient but it is cleaner.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by noisy_dravidfan Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:37 pm

tonnage hydrogen is not produced by electrolysis. that's an economic loser. it's produced by a process called steam-methane reformation.

noisy_dravidfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:46 pm

noisy_dravidfan wrote:tonnage hydrogen is not produced by electrolysis. that's an economic loser. it's produced by a process called steam-methane reformation.
The problem is a lack of hydrogen filling station. Nissan estimate is around 8 to 10 years to build a network of filling stations on the coasts. what happens when the car gets stuck in the middle of nowhere in Kansas? Of course... there are a lot of ranches and methane is plenty...there might be a portable hydrogen generator on the car..Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down