Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How come no one talks about .....

+5
Hellsangel
confuzzled dude
Rishi
pravalika nanda
indophile
9 posters

Go down

How come no one talks about ..... Empty How come no one talks about .....

Post by indophile Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:17 pm

room and board provided to the nanny by Khobargade, the Indian diplomat in New York? That must be worth some $20,000 to 25,000 in New York. That adds another $10 to 12 per hour to the basic $3.31 paid in cash. Together that must be well above the minimum of $9.50 they are talking. I think the Indian diplomats and other employees of International organizations (UN, World Bank, IMF, etc.) are better off consulting with local accountants and lawyers before drawing up those maid/nanny contracts.

indophile

Back to top Go down

How come no one talks about ..... Empty Re: How come no one talks about .....

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:30 pm

look, dude, the way your title started i actually thought it was going to be a diff topic but before this turns into a protracted emotive thread, let me give you my 3.31:

if the Ks gave the maid 20K over 12 mos for her to get room and board elsewhere, then you have a valid point. but if she was living with them 24/7, it actually means that she was working for them 24/7.

would you like to live with your boss 24/7? do you imagine he will not assign you work or that you will not feel compelled to act like an employee if some small task comes up? you don't get off when you live 24/7 with the boss. imagine being on call for a whole year, very depressing, w/o any privacy. Imagine living in Columbus circle or wherever always at the beck and call of these arseholes and not being able to afford your own private little hole in the basement of small house in Jackson heights.

Heck, i couldn't live 24/7 with my mom and she'd be the one taking such wonderful care of me!

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:36 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:look, dude, the way your title started i actually thought it was going to be a diff topic but before this turns into a protracted emotive thread, let me give you my 3.31:

if the Ks gave the maid 20K over 12 mos for her to get room and board elsewhere, then you have a valid point. but if she was living with them 24/7, it actually means that she was working for them 24/7.

would you like to live with your boss 24/7? do you imagine he will not assign you work or that you will not feel compelled to act like an employee if some small task comes up? you don't get off when you live 24/7 with the boss. imagine being on call for a whole year, very depressing, w/o any privacy. Imagine living in Columbus circle or wherever always at the beck and call of these arseholes and not being able to afford your own private little hole in the basement of small house in Jackson heights.

Heck, i couldn't live 24/7 with my mom and she'd be the one taking such wonderful care of me!

>>>PN,

This is exactly what I love about you.

You are incisive and you get to the crux of the matter straight. You tell it like it is. No mealy mouthing.

I wonder why you did not go to law school.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:58 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:look, dude, the way your title started i actually thought it was going to be a diff topic but before this turns into a protracted emotive thread, let me give you my 3.31:

ever heard of live-in nannies, do you think they pay them on 24/7 basis? it's not an alien concept to Americans; it's just that in this case they're obsessed with buzzword called human-trafficking and want to feel good by imagining that they've saved someones life, however, in reality, which may have been the opposite. I'm not sure her family even with green card will have that much better life in the USA, 7/11s and wal-marts don't exactly offer great salaries.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:07 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

ever heard of live-in nannies, do you think they pay them on 24/7 basis? it's not an alien concept to Americans; it's just that in this case they're obsessed with buzzword called human-trafficking and want to feel good by imagining that they've saved someones life, however, in reality, which may have been the opposite. I'm not sure her family even with green card will have that much better life in the USA, 7/11s and wal-marts don't exactly offer great salaries.
i have heard of a live-in nanny who makes 5K per month because that is what a colleague of mine pays her.

a family of three can have a safe, comfortable, healthy and happy life with 80k per annum in any small city in America.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:17 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

i have heard of a live-in nanny who makes 5K per month because that is what a colleague of mine pays her.

a family of three can have a safe, comfortable, healthy and happy life with 80k per annum in any small city in America.

80k per annum is like $20/hr, wonder which of the small towns offer that kinds of pay (for what kind of jobs?)

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:25 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

80k per annum is like $20/hr, wonder which of the small towns offer that kinds of pay (for what kind of jobs?)

How many hours per week?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:27 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

How many hours per week?

I meant 2 jobs x 40k = 80k, that's what I thought PN was implying

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:04 pm

Do American immigration laws allow a non-immigrant nanny to take up a second job?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:06 am

Slavery-like conditions.

The other side of the story
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:21 am

Hellsangel wrote:Slavery-like conditions.

"Philip Richard, the husband of housekeeper Sangeeta Richard, alleged in documents filed in India and first reported on by Outlook India that consular official Khobragade worked his wife from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day"

-> What was she doing that many hours, watching the paint dry. Unless she was cooking for 10s of guests everyday, anyone who lives in the USA would have hard time believing that she would've that much of workload working for a family of 4, and how big is the place they're living in, a 10,000 sqft mansion?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:32 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

"Philip Richard, the husband of housekeeper Sangeeta Richard, alleged in documents filed in India and first reported on by Outlook India that consular official Khobragade worked his wife from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day"

-> What was she doing that many hours, watching the paint dry. Unless she was cooking for 10s of guests everyday, anyone who lives in the USA would have hard time believing that she would've that much of workload working for a family of 4, and how big is the place they're living in, a 10,000 sqft mansion?
You have absolutely no idea about how much work is involved in taking care of two small children and doing all the household chores.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

You have absolutely no idea about how much work is involved in taking care of two small children and doing all the household chores.

If you say so. They've school going children, don't they?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:31 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

If you say so. They've school going children, don't they?
3 and 6.

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:37 pm

From the Foxnews article:

That treatment, according to the documents, included attempts by Uttar Khobragade, Devyani's father and a former civil servant, to hush up the complaints by sending the police to harass members of Richard's family.

Richard's daughter, Jennifer, also wrote to U.S. officials to complain that Khobragade had refused to allow the housekeeper to return to India, saying "My mother used to sound unhappy whenever she talked to us on phone.She asked Devyani to send her back to India but Devyani refused her request."

Just as I had suspected. Below is what I posted in another thread a few days ago. https://such.forumotion.com/t18638-one-constituency-that-nobody-thought-to-interview#133975

"Why do you assume that the maid is a scheming crook? Maybe she was tired of working way more than 40 hrs per week and was threatened by Cobragate with bad consequences not only for her but for her family in India when she told her she couldn't continue like this any more and begged for a ticket back to India. "

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:51 pm

nevada wrote:

That treatment, according to the documents, included attempts by Uttar Khobragade, Devyani's father and a former civil servant, to hush up the complaints by sending the police to harass members of Richard's family.

Richard's daughter, Jennifer, also wrote to U.S. officials to complain that Khobragade had refused to allow the housekeeper to return to India, saying "My mother used to sound unhappy whenever she talked to us on phone.She asked Devyani to send her back to India but Devyani refused her request."

Just as I had suspected. Below is what I posted in another thread a few days ago. https://such.forumotion.com/t18638-one-constituency-that-nobody-thought-to-interview#133975

"Why do you assume that the maid is a scheming crook? Maybe she was tired of working way more than 40 hrs per week and was threatened by Cobragate with bad consequences not only for her but for her family in India when she told her she couldn't continue like this any more and begged for a ticket back to India. "

Devyani's father who lives in Mumbai has so much influence on Delhi Police! What is he PM's principal secretary? Check the below out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2526067/Decoding-Khobragade-controversy-How-row-maids-visa-sparked-scale-diplomatic-incident.html

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:55 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
nevada wrote:

Devyani's father who lives in Mumbai has so much influence on Delhi Police! What is he PM's principal secretary? Check the below out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2526067/Decoding-Khobragade-controversy-How-row-maids-visa-sparked-scale-diplomatic-incident.html

Influence on Delhi police? That's nothing. Kobragade has the government of India fighting on his daughter's behalf.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:11 am

nevada wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
nevada wrote:

Influence on Delhi police? That's nothing. Kobragade has the government of India fighting on his daughter's behalf.

What would GoI do that, this can't be the first time GoI encountered such an issue, this practice has been going on for decades, most likely 1000s of maids worked abroad in last 60 years in similar fashion.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:16 am

Yeah, this might be a "routine" case in India. But the perpetrator is an SC, the father repeatedly brought up the SC angle and how can the GOI not "defend" her?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:21 am

nevada wrote:Yeah, this might be a "routine" case in India. But the perpetrator is an SC, the father repeatedly brought up the SC angle and how can the GOI not "defend" her?

Thanks for the laughs.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:26 am

confuzzled dude wrote:Devyani's father who lives in Mumbai has so much influence on Delhi Police!

Uttam Khobragade was the blue-eyed boy of Sushil Shinde, which is why he got away with all the things he did. And Shinde is the Union Home Minister. Delhi cops will do cartwheels in public if Khobragade wants them to.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:06 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:Devyani's father who lives in Mumbai has so much influence on Delhi Police!

Uttam Khobragade was the blue-eyed boy of Sushil Shinde, which is why he got away with all the things he did. And Shinde is the Union Home Minister. Delhi cops will do cartwheels in public if Khobragade wants them to.

oh! ok thanks. Didn't know that even Shinde is Dalit.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:10 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
nevada wrote:Yeah, this might be a "routine" case in India. But the perpetrator is an SC, the father repeatedly brought up the SC angle and how can the GOI not "defend" her?

Thanks for the laughs.

What kind of a commie Utopia do you live in, in your head that you find this funny? This is par for the course in India.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:58 am

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Thanks for the laughs.

What kind of a commie Utopia do you live in, in your head that you find this funny? This is par for the course in India.

our wapo warrior is a bleeding heart liberal & near communist in america but a status quo feudal lord in india.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:51 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Thanks for the laughs.

our wapo warrior is a bleeding heart liberal & near communist in america but a status quo feudal lord in india.

Anyone that thinks that suggesting maid is not innocent is automatically supporting Devyani should get their head examined.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:42 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

most live-in maids are expected to be around pretty much any time the employer wants them. they may not be busy all the time but are "on-call" 24/7 at least 6 days a week and have no fixed work hours.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:52 pm

bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

most live-in maids are expected to be around pretty much any time the employer wants them. they may not be busy all the time but are "on-call" 24/7 at least 6 days a week and have no fixed work hours.

I get it. I've had friends who hired live-in nannies I do know how that works but my point was she couldn't have been busy all the time unless everything is dumped on her, hard to imagine that given DK's husband is American born & raised.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:10 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I get it. I've had friends who hired live-in nannies I do know how that works but my point was she couldn't have been busy all the time unless everything is dumped on her, hard to imagine that given DK's husband is American born & raised.

i am sure she wasn't busy all the time but she can somewhat truthfully claim that her working hours were long. on your second point, i do know a few americans and europeans, who, despite having lived in a society where they had to do their own chores, act like despots once they move to a country where full-time maids are easily affordable. that's an extreme situation of course but largely, people easily switch into a mode where they are very comfortable being served. of course, i don't know what sort of person this gentleman is.

sangeetha is in a position to twist her situation to sound rather inhumane and cruel, no matter the reality is, since her goal has been to get a green card and live the american dream.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:11 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Thanks for the laughs.

Anyone that thinks that suggesting maid is not innocent is automatically supporting Devyani should get their head examined.

please gloss over the corrupt crook and his daughter's history of malfeasance but continue to split hairs over whether this maid fucked off for 2 hrs a day watching tv when she should be working harder to earn that 3.31 and had ulterior motives at heart. we all know maids are supposed to hold up their end of the bargain being highest paragons of virtue while working for peanuts and the overlords motives and documented past behavior are to be ignored when making value judgements that lead to pronouncement of guilt or innocence. also dont forget to be righteously outraged with an oddly placed exclamation mark that americans are always overstepping their boundaries and being bullies in their land trying to enforce their rules without due consideration to cultural subtleties. and finally tie it to other pesky american penchant oppressing your favorite reston kebab makers.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:12 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Thanks for the laughs.

please gloss over the corrupt crook and his daughter's history of malfeasance but continue to split hairs over whether this maid fucked off for 2 hrs a day watching tv when she should be working harder to earn that 3.31 and had ulterior motives at heart. we all know maids are supposed to hold up their end of the bargain being highest paragons of virtue while working for peanuts and the overlords motives and documented past behavior are to be ignored when making value judgements that lead to pronouncement of guilt or innocence. also dont forget to be righteously outraged with an oddly placed exclamation mark that americans are always overstepping their boundaries and being bullies in their land trying to enforce their rules without due consideration to cultural subtleties. and finally tie it to other pesky american penchant oppressing your favorite reston kebab makers.
Ha ha ha!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I thought Republicans are against legalizing illegal immigrants. Are you upset bcz Tony Romo is injured and Eagles will kick Cowboys a$$ this Sunday.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:03 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I thought Republicans are against legalizing illegal immigrants. Are you upset bcz Tony Romo is injured and Eagles will kick Cowboys a$$ this Sunday.

Who is the illegal immigrant in this case, again? Nice deflection there in the italics.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

Who is the illegal immigrant in this case, again? Nice deflection there in the italics.

Richard's passport is revoked and notice for termination of her personal identity also given to OFM with effect from June 22, 2013. Richard is now staying illegally in the US

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:36 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Richard's passport is revoked and notice for termination of her personal identity also given to OFM with effect from June 22, 2013. Richard is now staying illegally in the US

Hmm, when the US government is fully cognizant of Sangeetha Richards' whereabouts and  evacuates the Richards family they are now suddenly illegal immigrants?

And here is what your own WaPo says on the matter:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/in-dispute-over-indian-diplomat-an-internal-us-rift-and-many-unanswered-questions/2013/12/19/0a84f21c-68dd-11e3-ae56-22de072140a2_story.html wrote:
Harf also confirmed that Richard’s husband and children were now in the United States, after being issued visas by the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi. She declined to provide specifics but said, “We are aware of the existence of allegations that the family was intimidated in India.”
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down