Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My hunch is Modi will make Dr. JJ the deputy PM

+9
Kris
indophile
smArtha
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Ponniyin Selvan
truthbetold
nevada
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Rishi
13 posters

Go down

My hunch is Modi will make Dr. JJ the deputy PM Empty My hunch is Modi will make Dr. JJ the deputy PM

Post by Rishi Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:28 am

http://www.firstpost.com/election-diary/is-jayalalithaa-the-canniest-politician-in-the-country-1458689.html?utm_source=fp_homepage

Rishi

Back to top Go down

My hunch is Modi will make Dr. JJ the deputy PM Empty Re: My hunch is Modi will make Dr. JJ the deputy PM

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:54 pm

Rishi wrote:http://www.firstpost.com/election-diary/is-jayalalithaa-the-canniest-politician-in-the-country-1458689.html?utm_source=fp_homepage

If she gets 35 seats, BJP/NDA cannot ignore her. She has proved to be an able administrator knows hindi/tamil/kannada/english and does not blabber like other idiots.

By making her Dy PM with a solid portfolio as Finance or Home, modi can count on a long-term friend, a Southie, a woman, a well-known figure, and someone who cannot grow too much outside TN and hence not a serious threat to him for a while.

She is a winner as a Dy PM by any account.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

My hunch is Modi will make Dr. JJ the deputy PM Empty Re: My hunch is Modi will make Dr. JJ the deputy PM

Post by nevada Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:56 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rishi wrote:http://www.firstpost.com/election-diary/is-jayalalithaa-the-canniest-politician-in-the-country-1458689.html?utm_source=fp_homepage

If she gets 35 seats, BJP/NDA cannot ignore her. She has proved to be an able administrator knows hindi/tamil/kannada/english and does not blabber like other idiots.

By making her Dy PM with a solid portfolio as Finance or Home, modi can count on a long-term friend, a Southie, a woman, a well-known figure, and someone who cannot grow too much outside TN and hence not a serious threat to him for a while.

Add Telugu to the list. She speaks Telugu well. She has or used to have property/ies in Hyderabad.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:40 pm

Modi would be dead by the week's end from incessant demands of this over ambitious woman.  He should keep Jaya and Mamata at a distance for his own sanity.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:36 pm

My hunch is that the verdict in the Jayalalitha wealth case will be out soon and she will be sent to jail at least for a few months like Laloo. 

Modi will form a government without needing Jayalalitha's support..

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:47 am

nevada wrote:

Add Telugu to the list. She speaks Telugu well. She has or used to have property/ies in Hyderabad.
She was opposed to the bifurcation and expressed the view in a no nonsense way. So, her property may not be safe. The rumor is that she is selling.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:43 am

Dr JJ will not cross 30 seats in total. Mamata will beat her by seat count.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:46 am

smArtha wrote:Dr JJ will not cross 30 seats in total. Mamata will beat her by seat count.

maybe not if Left and Congress unite against Mamata.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:53 am

I hope he would keep JJ at arms length. The adage "with friends like that you need no enemies" aptly applies to her. Didn't she bring down Vajpayee's govt. by just one vote?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:01 pm

indophile wrote:I hope he would keep JJ at arms length. The adage "with friends like that you need no enemies" aptly applies to her. Didn't she bring down Vajpayee's govt. by just one vote?
>>It could be the other way around. You keep your friends close, but you keep your enemies closer, as the Godfather once said.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:40 pm

indophile wrote:I hope he would keep JJ at arms length. The adage "with friends like that you need no enemies" aptly applies to her. Didn't she bring down Vajpayee's govt. by just one vote?
try these:

"i hope he keeps jj at arm's length."

"with friends like her, who needs enemies?"

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:54 pm

She has proved to be an able administrator knows hindi/tamil/kannada/english...
hahaha, according to uppusaamy gowNDer, a tamilian or another southern indian is required to dazzle northindians with her knowledge of multiple languages, including hindi. why doesn't he require northindians to know multiple languages, especially those spoken in the south, to qualify themselves to be prime minister or deputy prime minister? is the gowNDer completely lacking in self esteem?

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:42 pm

michelle2 wrote:

hahaha, according to uppusaamy gowNDer, a tamilian or another southern indian is required to dazzle northindians with her knowledge of multiple languages, including hindi. why doesn't he require northindians to know multiple languages, especially those spoken in the south, to qualify themselves to be prime minister or deputy prime minister? is the gowNDer completely lacking in self esteem?
The answer is so elementary that I am surprised that somebody would even think of posting such a point. How many seats you can potentially add to the kitty if a politician knows Hindi, 200+? How many seats a politician can add to the Kitty if somebody knows Tamil ?39. So it is much smarter for a Tamil politician to Know Hindi Vs Vice Versa.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:08 pm

michelle2 wrote:

>>>Yes. It is a sad situation.

But what does having an Italian woman running their country say about self esteem of Indians in general? Could'nt they find someone better among their own?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:23 pm

Rishi wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

But what does having an Italian woman running their country say about self esteem of Indians in general? Could'nt they find someone better among their own?

Catharine the Great was a german. but the Russians accepted her as their Queen which she became after the Tsar, to who she was married to, died. Why shouldn't Indians be as magnanimous?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:49 pm

rawemotions wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

The answer is so elementary that I am surprised that somebody would even think of posting such a point. How many seats you can potentially add to the kitty if a politician knows Hindi, 200+? How many seats a politician can add to the Kitty if somebody knows Tamil ?39. So it is much smarter for a Tamil politician to Know Hindi Vs Vice Versa.

>>>Michelle2,

It is a pity that SI have to impress the NIs by dazzling them by speaking Hindi fluently to qualify for any kind of leadership positions pan-India.

The one way to put an end to this discrimination is to secede from India altogether.

You dot seem to support an independent SI either. Why?

Btw One-time Maharashtra State Electricity Board recruited Engineers from Southern states. One of the conditions was the new-hires from SI should learn Hindi within 6 months.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Rishi wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

>>>Michelle2,

It is a pity that SI have to impress the NIs by dazzling them by speaking Hindi fluently to qualify for any kind of leadership positions pan-India.
aren't you contradicting yourself? the title of your original post proclaims your pride that a woman from thamizh nadu might be looked upon favourably by the party a northindian leads, to be his deputy. then uppusaamy gowNDer justifies your pride with insightful words: that jj would make a good deputy pm because she knows many languages, including hindi; not because she has a vision for india, not because she can inspire and lead people to fulfill that vision, not because she's single-minded and courageous, but because she has linguistic skills! i don't remember your opposing the gowNDer, but now, oddly, you want to talk about secession!

we'll talk about secession when you thaamil guys entertain loftier aspirations than to be a deputy to a northindian.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:53 pm

michelle2 wrote:
Rishi wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

>>>Michelle2,

aren't you contradicting yourself? the title of your original post proclaims your pride that a woman from thamizh nadu might be looked upon favourably by the party a northindian leads, to be his deputy. then uppusaamy gowNDer justifies your pride with insightful words: that jj would make a good deputy pm because she knows many languages, including hindi; not because she has a vision for india, not because she can inspire and lead people to fulfill that vision, not because she's single-minded and courageous, but because she has linguistic skills! i don't remember your opposing the gowNDer, but now, oddly, you want to talk about secession!

we'll talk about secession when you thaamil guys entertain loftier aspirations than to be a deputy to a northindian.

the reason most tamils are not interested in secession is because there are typically more cabinet ministers in the central govt. from Tamil Nadu than from Uttar Pradesh even though UP has twice the number of Lok Sabha seats and a little less than thrice the population. Tamil Nadu has been alotted more Lok Sabha seats than it would have otherwise got if the allocation would have been on the basis of one man-one vote.

There is no harm for a political leader to learn a language which a majority of Indians are able to speak or at least understand. Catharine the Great was the greatest Queen of Russia, but she was an ethnic german and her mother tongue was german. This did not stop her from learning Russian just because most of the russian nobility were not learning german.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:13 pm

michelle2 wrote:
Rishi wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

>>>Michelle2,

The way you fight a more powerful entrenched system is by joining the system and change it from within. I am glad it is a Modi - a Gujarati and not yet another UP wala. At least Modi speaks Gujarati - although for Southies they all sound similar.

By insisting and resisting on serving even with a linguistically broad minded "north" Indian, Southies will face the same end result as Ealamites. Notice at least Modi has no qualms in greeting various peoples in their own language. That in itself is a huge change. The last person who did that - even for a show - was Indira.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:25 pm

Rashmun wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
Rishi wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

>>>Michelle2,

the reason most tamils are not interested in secession is because there are typically more cabinet ministers in the central govt. from Tamil Nadu than from Uttar Pradesh even though UP has twice the number of Lok Sabha seats and a little less than thrice the population. Tamil Nadu has been alotted more Lok Sabha seats than it would have otherwise got if the allocation would have been on the basis of one man-one vote.

There is no harm for a political leader to learn a language which a majority of Indians are able to speak or at least understand. Catharine the Great was the greatest Queen of Russia, but she was an ethnic german and her mother tongue was german. This did not stop her from learning Russian just because most of the russian nobility were not learning german.
being a polyglot is not a critical success factor for a pm or deputy pm of india in the year 2014, just as knowing german, french, italian, and spanish is not, for the pm of the u.k. american, chinese, japanese, russian, brazilian, and the european union's officials communicate routinely with one another. the tool they use to do so is called a translator. i suppose indians haven't heard of translators.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:31 pm

michelle2 wrote:
Rishi wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

>>>Michelle2,

The way you fight a more powerful entrenched system is by joining the system and change it from within. I am glad it is a Modi - a Gujarati and not yet another UP wala.  At least Modi speaks Gujarati - although for Southies they all sound similar.

By insisting and resisting on serving even with a linguistically broad minded "north" Indian, Southies will face the same end result as Ealamites.  Notice at least Modi has no qualms in greeting various peoples in their own language. That in itself is a huge change.  The last person who did that - even for a show - was Indira.

i wish he wouldn't pander in that way. i dislike him for so many reasons, but added another one when i watched that horrible speech he gave after cho. ramaswamy introduced him. he thought he was addressing chennaivasis in tamil.

*violent throw up*
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:58 pm

michelle2 wrote:
Rishi wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

>>>Michelle2,

The way you fight a more powerful entrenched system is by joining the system and change it from within. I am glad it is a Modi - a Gujarati and not yet another UP wala.  At least Modi speaks Gujarati - although for Southies they all sound similar.

By insisting and resisting on serving even with a linguistically broad minded "north" Indian, Southies will face the same end result as Ealamites.  Notice at least Modi has no qualms in greeting various peoples in their own language. That in itself is a huge change.  The last person who did that - even for a show - was Indira.
the way to change the system in india is to become economically powerful through legitimate, constitutional means. southern indian states can show the way to a better economic future, but knowledge of languages is not the way. that's trivial. india's problem is that, thus far, its leaders - except for jn and pvnr - have been wimps, murderers, or idiotic women. this is largely true of the near future as well. 

what's needed, as i said earlier is: vision, a steadfast economic and social philosophy, leadership, inspiration, sound policies that single-mindedly fulfill the vision, integrity, and courage to stay the course for five years. not hindi, tamil, or kannada. not playing second fiddle.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:20 pm

michelle2 wrote:[]
the way to change the system in india is to become economically powerful through legitimate, constitutional means. southern indian states can show the way to a better economic future, but knowledge of languages is not the way. that's trivial. india's problem is that, thus far, its leaders - except for jn and pvnr - have been wimps, murderers, or idiotic women. this is largely true of the near future as well. 

what's needed, as i said earlier is: vision, a steadfast economic and social philosophy, leadership, inspiration, sound policies that single-mindedly fulfill the vision, integrity, and courage to stay the course for five years. not hindi, tamil, or kannada. not playing second fiddle.

You are talking like the Trickle-down Theorists. It will be a 1000 years before India becomes economically powerful enough to try to implement the change. Even Ealam might be a reality before that happened.

India is what India is as of now. Modi local greetings might be pandering - then which politcian does not. It at least sends out a message that this guy will not propose hindi-imposition (which is a pet topic of RSS).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Rishi wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

"But what does having an Italian woman running their country say about self esteem of Indians in general?" -- rishi
that, for now, there's hardly an indian more capable or powerful than that italian woman.

"But what does having an Italian woman running their country say about self esteem of Indians in general?" -- rishi
many indians' clamour to change the rules after they lost the game says that they have low self-esteem.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:46 pm

michelle2 wrote:
Rishi wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

[b]that, for now, there's hardly an indian more capable or powerful than that italian woman.[\b]

many indians' clamour to change the rules after they lost the game says that they have low self-esteem.

>>>Now if Modi becomes the PM does that mean there's hardly an indian more capable or powerful than him?

>>>It seems Indian

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:55 pm

>>>> i suppose indians haven't heard of translators]]]

Yes, hindians have heard of translators and insist all English speeches be translated to Hindi. They are equally vehement that English or Hindi speeches be not translated to Tamil, Bengalim  etc.

In the rare occasion a non-Hindi movie is airned on national Doordarsdan, they insist Hindi subheadings be included but no subheading for Hindi movies even in the local Chennai Doordarsan broadcast.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:57 pm

>>>>
southern indian states can show the way to a better economic future, but knowledge of languages is not the way.

India;s language policy is not based on rationality.

Hindi politicians insist that non-Hindians leaern Hindi but don't give a damn to teach Hindians learn to read and write their mother tongue Hindi.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:02 pm

>>>> the reason most tamils are not interested in secession is because there are typically more cabinet ministers in the central govt.

Tamil Tribune has the answer. Read
http://www.tamiltribune.com/06/0202.html

Annadurai on Central Government Ministers from Tamil Nadu
Thanjai Nalankilli
TAMIL TRIBUNE, February 2006 (ID. 2006-02-02)
www.tamiltribune.com

Much is said these days about how Tamil Nadu has
now 12 ministers in the Indian Union Government (Central Government) and thus there should be no complaint of economic or other discrimination of Tamilnadu by the Indian government. We quote here what Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) founder and former Tamil Nadu State Chief Minister C. N. Annadurai had to say about ministerial representation in the Indian central government.

"Southern India is discriminated in industrial development. No new iron plant; no new rail line; no petroleum refinery. No noteworthy industrial plant is allocated to southern India. Instead of building an iron plant, the ministry of heavy industries is given to a south Indian. Is it political skill?" (from C. N. Annadurai's maiden speech at the Upper House of Parliament (Rajya Sabha) in 1962)

Annadurai's speech is very telling. He points out that the Indian government has "skillfully" appointed a south Indian as heavy industries minister in order to mute complaints of discrimination in industrial development in south India. Annadurai would rather prefer an industrial plant built in the south than a south Indian minister in charge of heavy industries. Though he does not explicitly say it, implicit in his statement is that heavy industries ministry for south India does not necessarily mean setting up of heavy industries in south India equitably.

Forty three years have passed since Annadurai's speech. Indian government is using the same tactic today. Players have changed but the same drama goes on.

Tamil Nadu was given 12 minister positions out of the total of 66 in 2004 (more than many other states of comparable population). But Tamil Nadu is discriminated in infrastructure development necessary to attract industrial plants and other businesses into Tamilnadu. In the 1950s and 1960s, DMK was at the forefront of pointing out the discriminations. Today DMK is part of the ruling alliance at the central government. DMK has 7 of the 12 ministers from Tamilnadu. Its voice on behalf of Tamil Nadu is now muted. How can it complain of discrimination when it was given so many minister positions?

Present Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and Finance Minister have pointed out how Tamilnadu is being discriminated today (2005). Here are two examples. Tamil Nadu Finance Minister, C. Ponnaiyan, told the state assembly on March 11, 2005 how Tamil Nadu was getting a raw deal in the Twelfth Finance Commission (TFC) recommendations. Chief Minister Jayalalithaa Jeyaram identified on March 20, 2005 several specific areas in which Tamil Nadu was discriminated. These complaints cannot be brushed aside as politically motivated because these statements include specific details and data that could be verified independently. [NOTE: Tamil Tribune has published several articles on the economic discrimination of Tamil Nadu. Interested reader may see Reference 1.]

Some might say that, "Tamil Nadu is doing well in the software, automobile and certain other industries. Why are you complaining?" In spite of Indian Government discrimination in building rail lines, internet cable systems and harbours, Tamil Nadu is doing well in certain industrial sectors because of the hard work of our students in their school years and hard work later at employment. But for the discrimination, the standard of living in Tamil Nadu would be much higher. Tamil people are not getting the full reward for their hard work at schools and offices and factories and farms because of the discrimination. This should change.

What really counts to the people is not how many ministers are there in the central government but how many infrastructure and industrial projects are funded by the central government in Tamil Nadu.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:08 pm

TN has and the highest number of factories and factories in India. Who is funding them and who is buying from them. Rest of India. 

KV, check the facts.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:59 pm

truthbetold wrote:TN has and the highest number of factories and factories in India. Who is funding them and who is buying from them. Rest of India. 

KV, check the facts.
>>> Nothing can stand in the way of Tamils being discriminated in TN, Antartica, Berkeley, Podunk, Peoria, younameit-- facts be damned- full speed ahead. This is a victimhood that cannot be given up without a fight.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:10 pm

truthbetold wrote:TN has and the highest number of factories and factories in India. Who is funding them and who is buying from them. Rest of India. 

KV, check the facts.

These factories are built with the sweat of Tamils where as factiries in UP, MP are also built with the sweat of Tamils, Telugus, ...

What I was talking about is central government factories and infrastructure. Tamils pay taxes and TN should get there proprtion of central gov projects.

Read the last but one paragraph of what I posted in my earlier post on this thread

Some might say that, "Tamil Nadu is doing well in the software, automobile and certain other industries. Why are you complaining?" In spite of Indian Government discrimination in building rail lines, internet cable systems and harbours, Tamil Nadu is doing well in certain industrial sectors because of the hard work of our students in their school years and hard work later at employment. But for the discrimination, the standard of living in Tamil Nadu would be much higher. Tamil people are not getting the full reward for their hard work at schools and offices and factories and farms because of the discrimination. This should change.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down