Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

+2
Hellsangel
indophile
6 posters

Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:50 am

Some recycled.

1.    Island in Europe containing black swans. (4 ) 
2.    Bigotry is blessing in disguise. ( 8 ) 
3.    Fuel expression with Indian makeup. (4) 
4.    Cake and wine. (7) 
5.    Surrogate favoring male genes. (5) 
6.    Putsch by the French pair. ( 6 )
7.    Visit father at home. (5)
8.    Call for the entrance walk. (4)  
9.    Family starts to be led out over drawbridge. (5)
10.  Scorned like your Ex. (5)

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by Hellsangel Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:52 am

6. COUP-LE

7. POP IN
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Posts : 14721
Join date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:24 am

5. PROXY? (PRO - XY)
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Posts : 14701
Join date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by b_A Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:44 am

8. GAIT/GATE (homonym)

b_A

Posts : 1642
Join date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:25 pm

b_A wrote:8. GAIT/GATE (homonym)
Yes

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:26 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:5. PROXY? (PRO - XY)
Yes.

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Hellsangel wrote:6. COUP-LE

7. POP IN
Yes for both. I should've posted the letter count as (3,2) for #7 instead of 5. Thanks for getting it nevertheless.

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Update. The following clues remain to be solved.

1.    Island in Europe containing black swans. (4 ) 
2.    Bigotry is blessing in disguise. ( 8 ) 
3.    Fuel expression with Indian makeup. (4) 
4.    Cake and wine. (7) 
9.    Family starts to be led out over drawbridge. (5)
10.  Scorned like your Ex. (5)

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by Hellsangel Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:23 pm

10. Double def. CROSS (Scorn and X)
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Posts : 14721
Join date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by Hellsangel Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:24 pm

1. ELBA?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Posts : 14721
Join date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:29 pm

Hellsangel wrote:10. Double def. CROSS (Scorn and X)
Yes.

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:30 pm

Hellsangel wrote:1. ELBA?
No.

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by Obnoxious Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:40 pm

9. BLOOD. init letters.

Obnoxious

Posts : 752
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by Obnoxious Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:40 pm

4. DESSERT dd?

Obnoxious

Posts : 752
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by Obnoxious Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:41 pm

3. COAL kohl homo.

Obnoxious

Posts : 752
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Obnoxious wrote:9. BLOOD. init letters.
Yes.

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:49 pm

Obnoxious wrote:3. COAL kohl homo.
Yes.

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:49 pm

Obnoxious wrote:4. DESSERT dd?
No.

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by Guest Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:51 pm

i know the answer to 4, but won't post as I googled it Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Second Update. The following clues remain.

1.    Island in Europe containing black swans. (4 ) 
2.    Bigotry is blessing in disguise. ( 8 ) 
4.    Cake and wine. (7)

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:53 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:i know the answer to 4, but won't post as I googled it Smile
It's okay even if you googled. Just go ahead and post it.

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by Obnoxious Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:54 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:i know the answer to 4, but won't post as I googled it Smile
Googling is ok in solving cryptics.

Obnoxious

Posts : 752
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by Guest Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:30 pm

Obnoxious wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:i know the answer to 4, but won't post as I googled it Smile
Googling is ok in solving cryptics.

No no. I actually found a cryptic site with the same clue. But I am so bad in this that even the answer didn't make sense to me lol.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by b_A Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:41 pm

indophile wrote:Second Update. The following clues remain.

1.    Island in Europe containing black swans. (4 ) 
2.    Bigotry is blessing in disguise. ( 8 ) 
4.    Cake and wine. (7)

2. GLIBNESS ( blessing anag)
4. MADEIRA - I thought of tiramisu but count didn't match. I will credit this to BK.


b_A

Posts : 1642
Join date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by b_A Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:42 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:i know the answer to 4, but won't post as I googled it Smile
Googling is ok in solving cryptics.

No no. I actually found a cryptic site with the same clue. But I am so bad in this that even the answer didn't make sense to me lol.

There is madeira cake and madeira wine

b_A

Posts : 1642
Join date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:47 pm

b_A wrote:
indophile wrote:Second Update. The following clues remain.

1.    Island in Europe containing black swans. (4 ) 
2.    Bigotry is blessing in disguise. ( 8 ) 
4.    Cake and wine. (7)

2. GLIBNESS ( blessing anag)
4. MADEIRA - I thought of tiramisu but count didn't match. I will credit this to BK.

Yes, both are correct. There is MADEIRA cake, MADEIRA wine, and also MADEIRA river (a tributary of the mighty Amazon river).

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Only one clue remains.

1.    Island in Europe containing black swans. (4 )

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by Hellsangel Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:50 pm

indophile wrote:
b_A wrote:
indophile wrote:Second Update. The following clues remain.

1.    Island in Europe containing black swans. (4 ) 
2.    Bigotry is blessing in disguise. ( 8 ) 
4.    Cake and wine. (7)

2. GLIBNESS ( blessing anag)
4. MADEIRA - I thought of tiramisu but count didn't match. I will credit this to BK.

Yes, both are correct. There is MADEIRA cake, MADEIRA wine, and also MADEIRA river (a tributary of the mighty Amazon river).

Wait. How is bigotry, glibness?

http://thesaurus.com/browse/bigotry
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Posts : 14721
Join date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by b_A Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:53 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
indophile wrote:
b_A wrote:
indophile wrote:Second Update. The following clues remain.

1.    Island in Europe containing black swans. (4 ) 
2.    Bigotry is blessing in disguise. ( 8 ) 
4.    Cake and wine. (7)

2. GLIBNESS ( blessing anag)
4. MADEIRA - I thought of tiramisu but count didn't match. I will credit this to BK.

Yes, both are correct. There is MADEIRA cake, MADEIRA wine, and also MADEIRA river (a tributary of the mighty Amazon river).

Wait. How is bigotry, glibness?

http://thesaurus.com/browse/bigotry
http://thesaurus.com/browse/glibness

b_A

Posts : 1642
Join date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by Hellsangel Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:57 pm

b_A wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
indophile wrote:
b_A wrote:
indophile wrote:Second Update. The following clues remain.

1.    Island in Europe containing black swans. (4 ) 
2.    Bigotry is blessing in disguise. ( 8 ) 
4.    Cake and wine. (7)

2. GLIBNESS ( blessing anag)
4. MADEIRA - I thought of tiramisu but count didn't match. I will credit this to BK.

Yes, both are correct. There is MADEIRA cake, MADEIRA wine, and also MADEIRA river (a tributary of the mighty Amazon river).

Wait. How is bigotry, glibness?

http://thesaurus.com/browse/bigotry
http://thesaurus.com/browse/glibness
Seems a stretch. The two words mean very different things.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Posts : 14721
Join date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by bw Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:03 pm

indophile wrote:Only one clue remains.

1.    Island in Europe containing black swans. (4 )

COBS (black(b) in cos/kos)

bw

Posts : 2922
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by indophile Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:11 am

bw wrote:
indophile wrote:Only one clue remains.

1.    Island in Europe containing black swans. (4 )

COBS (black(b) in cos/kos)
Yes. Set solved.
Thank you all for participating.

indophile

Posts : 4338
Join date : 2011-04-29
Location : Glenn Dale, MD

Back to top Go down

THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7 Empty Re: THURSDAY CRYPTICS - 8/7

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum