Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sitting for too long, watch out

3 posters

Go down

Sitting for too long, watch out Empty Sitting for too long, watch out

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:56 am

Sitting can cause blood to pool in the legs and prevent it from effectively flowing to the heart -- a precursor to cardiovascular problems. After just one hour of sitting, normal blood flow became impaired by as much as 50 percent, the study found.

But the men who walked for five minutes on a treadmill for each hour they sat didn't see that decline.

"American adults sit for approximately eight hours a day," Saurabh Thosar, the study's lead author, said in a statement. "The impairment in endothelial function is significant after just one hour of sitting. It is interesting to see that light physical activity can help in preventing this impairment."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/09/08/take-a-seat-you-may-be-able-to-reverse-the-damage-to-your-health/?hpid=z4

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Sitting for too long, watch out Empty Re: Sitting for too long, watch out

Post by nevada Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:26 pm

There has been an increase in people demanding standing desks at my workplace. But standing for 8 hours is a pain so people alternate between standing and sitting through the day. I work close to the kitchen, so I keep going there every once in a while to break the routine of sitting for too long.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:56 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Sitting can cause blood to pool in the legs and prevent it from effectively flowing to the heart -- a precursor to cardiovascular problems. After just one hour of sitting, normal blood flow became impaired by as much as 50 percent, the study found.

But the men who walked for five minutes on a treadmill for each hour they sat didn't see that decline.

"American adults sit for approximately eight hours a day," Saurabh Thosar, the study's lead author, said in a statement. "The impairment in endothelial function is significant after just one hour of sitting. It is interesting to see that light physical activity can help in preventing this impairment."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/09/08/take-a-seat-you-may-be-able-to-reverse-the-damage-to-your-health/?hpid=z4

Good... what I thought is my problem is actually a plus. I cannot sit at a place/desk for more than 5 to 10 min. Cannot watch a movie in a theater.

All these point to ADHD and had I known it earlier I could have milked it to the maximum.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:05 pm

nevada wrote:There has been an increase in people demanding standing desks at my workplace. But standing for 8 hours is a pain so people alternate between standing and sitting through the day. I work close to the kitchen, so I keep going there every once in a while to break the routine of sitting for too long.
Standing desks?! I used to do front desk job when I was in grad school, was not fun even in my early 20s. I think having desk not too close to the breakroom  helps, you get to stretch for a bit longer.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:33 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
nevada wrote:There has been an increase in people demanding standing desks at my workplace. But standing for 8 hours is a pain so people alternate between standing and sitting through the day. I work close to the kitchen, so I keep going there every once in a while to break the routine of sitting for too long.
Standing desks?! I used to do front desk job when I was in grad school, was not fun even in my early 20s. I think having desk not too close to the breakroom  helps, you get to stretch for a bit longer.

We have a secretary who uses standing table.

Great...

Because she has fantastic legs, wears skirts, great face, and everything in between is also great. I suspect she is using it to show off her bottom half.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down