Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non-vegetarian suCHers

+5
Kris
truthbetold
Hellsangel
indophile
confuzzled dude
9 posters

Go down

Non-vegetarian suCHers Empty Non-vegetarian suCHers

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:18 am

Do you guys avoid eating halal meat, especially mutton eaters given the choice is pretty much limited to halal variety in the US

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Non-vegetarian suCHers Empty Re: Non-vegetarian suCHers

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:20 am

confuzzled dude wrote:Do you guys avoid eating halal meat, especially mutton eaters given the choice is pretty much limited to halal variety in the US

don't care either way. from what dad used to explain halal/jhatka was more of a muslim/Sikh thing. Dunno if Sikhs are that hard core about avoiding halal.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:26 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:Do you guys avoid eating halal meat, especially mutton eaters given the choice is pretty much limited to halal variety in the US

don't care either way. from what dad used to explain halal/jhatka was more of a muslim/Sikh thing. Dunno if Sikhs are that hard core about avoiding halal.
What is jhatka? One swing of the sword and head of the animal separates from the body?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:27 am

Non-vegetarian suCHers OkNon-vegetarian suCHers Ou
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:31 am

indophile wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

What is jhatka? One swing of the sword and head of the animal separates from the body?

yes. that's what I r'ber hearing.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:38 am

I remember reading about sword fighters in the olden days who could cut a person into six pieces with a single sword swing. It had a name too. Translated it means the "janu" cut (or the "sacred thread" cut). The cut followed the path of the "janu" assuming the opponent sported one.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:39 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
indophile wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

Per Wikipedia jhatka is preferred method for Bali ritual and requirement for shaivaites and Durga puja in certain parts of India

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jhatka

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:46 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
indophile wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

Per Wikipedia jhatka is preferred method for Bali ritual and requirement for shaivaites and Durga puja in certain parts of India

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jhatka

ah ok... What is Shaivite? Shivji something? Guess dad meant Sikhs are more hardcore about it, atleast back in the 70s-80s. I believe he was the first non vegetarian in his fam and the only one among his siblings. Anyway, he happily ate stuff during Eid, etc. Guess for that reason we didn't care either. He didn't care for beef either when outside India, but I do.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Cd
educate us about halal meat. What type of meat is sold in
India? most of the butchers are Muslims.
How is this logic applied to chicken, fish etc.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:00 pm

truthbetold wrote:Cd
Which is precisely why I was asking this question. What are you gonna do now

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:11 pm

>>> I am not much of a mutton person. If I eat anything other than chicken occasionally, it has to be medium rare steak. My wife gets  mutton biryani once in awhile from the local Pakistani place. I am not sure about the halal aspect. My older son likes it, but being American I don't think he would know what that means Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:23 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

>>>Wait. I thought halal refers to a slow killing of the animal. I honestly haven't wanted to look into it. It is like the old saying by Bismarck (?) ' people who like sausages and laws shouldn't watch either being made'. I prefer to think of meat as something made by the local Safeway employees

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:32 pm

as i grow older, i find myself unable to walk by the meat aisles in the grocery stores. it never use to bother me, but now the stench and blood and flesh render me unable to function. so i either run or avoid it altogether.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

>>>Wait. I thought halal refers to a slow killing of the animal. I honestly haven't wanted to look into it. It is like the old saying by Bismarck (?) ' people who like sausages and laws shouldn't watch either being made'. I prefer to think of meat as something made by the local Safeway employees

yeah that's what it is, slow killing let it bleed. Supposed to cleanse the blood out and/or the hormones produced by the dying animal is supposed to enhance the taste. Dunno which one is true. I realized the importance of it once when a muslim classmate described how they actually do it in their own yard (aangan) during eid time. He changed the topic quickly when he saw the look of horror in my face.

Yeah, never tried to think of how it's made. Just focused on how it's cooked. Yeah heard of that saying, it's 'sausages and justice'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Mr. CD,

Does not make any difference..whether it is halal meat or what's sold in regular supermarkets and farmer's markets, as long as it's good quality meat (as much as one can see).

Since we live in a small rural town, interestingly, from time to time..get really good fresh meat from local goat farms.

In TN, as you perhaps know, most of the time it's halal meat from muslim-owned meat shops. However, in recent years with all the export business, there are non-muslims who are in the meat business and are making big profits as well.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:11 pm

Why do we need to 'avoid' halal meat?  scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:14 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Still a little puzzled.  Why am I supposed to do anything? 

Even assuming I am in India, why should I have a problem? 

Is there strike by butchers?  Are you organizing butchers to go on a strike?  

Are your butchers friends refusing to do their kula dharmam? 

What is the problem?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:26 pm

Kris wrote:

>>> I am not much of a mutton person. If I eat anything other than chicken occasionally, it has to be medium rare steak. My wife gets  mutton biryani once in awhile from the local Pakistani place. I am not sure about the halal aspect. My older son likes it, but being American I don't think he would know what that means Smile
I don't blame him. As a Hyderabadi, even i didn't know what it means till now. Will have to do the wiki now.

Edit: I first heard about the word 'halal' only in US. I was told  it's a muslim way of butchering animals and that muslims eat only that meat. Didn't think much abt it. The other day, our non-veg brahmin lady here put some gynanam into me saying that muslims don't eat in fast food or other american restaurants coz it's not halal meat. That's was some news to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:31 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Kris wrote:

I don't blame him. As a Hyderabadi, even i didn't know what it means till now. Will have to do the wiki now.
>>> The spelling trips me up too. Apparently, there are various versions. I am not much of a rice or mutton person anyway.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:58 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Kris wrote:

Edit: I first heard about the word 'halal' only in US. I was told  it's a muslim way of butchering animals and that muslims eat only that meat. Didn't think much abt it. The other day, our non-veg brahmin lady here put some gynanam into me saying that muslims don't eat in fast food or other american restaurants coz it's not halal meat. That's was some news to me.

Muslims (pious) are as picky as Brahmins / vegetarians in eating at restaurants.. Not just the halal (that is one reason), they try as much to avoid restaurants that serve pork.. as pork is banned by Islam. I was initially thinking that Muslims revere pigs like vegetarian Hindus revere cows and avoid beef, but later a jewish friend disabused me of that notion. Pork is banned because pigs are supposed to be unclean and dirty animals and even Jewish/Christian scriptures ban pork it seems.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:02 pm

The shop I buy my chicken for the last few years is run by a Hindu and in fact the butcher goes to Sabarimalai during the Sabarimalai season.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:21 pm

jewish dietary laws (kashrut), especially those relating to meat i thought were identical to muslims. in fact the safest place for a jew to purchase meat is at a muslim butcher shop.

kosher slaughter.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:jewish dietary laws (kashrut), especially those relating to meat i thought were identical to muslims. in fact the safest place for a jew to purchase meat is at a muslim butcher shop.

kosher slaughter.

I think so, I believe the diet restrictions are common to all the semitic religions, just that many Christians do not follow them anymore..

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Kris wrote:

Muslims (pious) are as picky as Brahmins / vegetarians in eating at restaurants.. Not just the halal (that is one reason), they try as much to avoid restaurants that serve pork.. as pork is banned by Islam. I was initially thinking that Muslims revere pigs like vegetarian Hindus revere cows and avoid beef, but later a jewish friend disabused me of that notion. Pork is banned because pigs are supposed to be unclean and dirty animals and even Jewish/Christian scriptures ban pork it seems.

>>The pork ban comes from the old testament. Must have been some kind of epidemic that was associated with pigs in that part of the world at that time which triggered it and the religious injunction would have given it the strength to keep people in line. I don't if Christianity broke away from the taboo or if it was an accommodation when the pork eating populations came into its fold. Can't imagine the Germanic tribes would have given it up that easily or the romans.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:41 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:as i grow older, i find myself unable to walk by the meat aisles in the grocery stores. it never use to bother me, but now the stench and blood and flesh render me unable to function. so i either run or avoid it altogether.

being in the company of a dog and interacting first hand with animal intelligence and sentience makes it even more difficult to go back to meat eating even on rare occasions. the one thing that i still enjoy is eating sea food, and these days even that fills me with a terrible guilt.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Kris,

If pork was banned in Europe, Christianity would have had tough time to gain a foothold in that continent.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:48 pm

truthbetold wrote:Kris,

If pork was banned in Europe, Christianity would have had tough time to gain a foothold in that continent.

>>>>I like that market-oriented approach. We have a lot to learn ...Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:48 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:as i grow older, i find myself unable to walk by the meat aisles in the grocery stores. it never use to bother me, but now the stench and blood and flesh render me unable to function. so i either run or avoid it altogether.

being in the company of a dog and interacting first hand with animal intelligence and sentience makes it even more difficult to go back to meat eating even on rare occasions.  the one thing that i still enjoy is eating sea food, and these days even that fills me with a terrible guilt.

i can't get myself to eat beef, and I limit chicken to max 3-4 times a week, which in itself is a lot more than I would like. Back home we used to eat it maybe 3-4 times a month. The other day xh got food from chipotle for me. Was supposed to be chicken. however the first piece of meat i saw didn't look like chicken. I asked him that maybe he got someone else's order, but he insisted it's chicken (w/o looking). I tried to break it, didn't look like chicken. At this point I should have thrown it, but I decided to check it further and ate it. First bite and I spit it out. How do people eat that rubber. Anyway, that was the lone piece that must have wandered in. After that, I watched each piece I was eating and it was all good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

being in the company of a dog and interacting first hand with animal intelligence and sentience makes it even more difficult to go back to meat eating even on rare occasions.  the one thing that i still enjoy is eating sea food, and these days even that fills me with a terrible guilt.

i can't get myself to eat beef, and I limit chicken to max 3-4 times a week, which in itself is a lot more than I would like. Back home we used to eat it maybe 3-4 times a month. The other day xh got food from chipotle for me. Was supposed to be chicken. however the first piece of meat i saw didn't look like chicken. I asked him that maybe he got someone else's order, but he insisted it's chicken (w/o looking). I tried to break it, didn't look like chicken. At this point I should have thrown it, but I decided to check it further and ate it. First bite and I spit it out. How do people eat that rubber. Anyway, that was the lone piece that must have wandered in. After that, I watched each piece I was eating and it was all good.
>>>Why are you apportioning max's meals?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:04 pm

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>>Why are you apportioning max's meals?

lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:32 pm

truthbetold wrote:Kris,

Acts 10 wrote:
10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.10:15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.10:16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:jewish dietary laws (kashrut), especially those relating to meat i thought were identical to muslims. in fact the safest place for a jew to purchase meat is at a muslim butcher shop.

kosher slaughter.

Not quite:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Islamic_and_Jewish_dietary_laws wrote:There are no restrictions on what organs or parts of the carcass may be eaten from a Halal-slaughtered and -dressed animal; as long as it was slaughtered and prepared according to the rules of Halal, the entire animal, with the exception of[citation needed] blood, bones, fat not attached to meat, and wounded parts, is fit for consumption by Muslims. However, Kashrut prohibits eating the chelev (certain types of fat) and gid hanosheh (the sciatic nerve), and thus the hindquarters of a kosher animal must undergo a process called nikkur (or, in Yiddish, porging) in order to be fit for consumption by Jews. As nikkur is an expensive, time-consuming process, it is rarely practiced outside of Israel, and the hindquarters of kosher-slaughtered animals in the rest of the world are generally sold on the non-kosher market.[20]
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:42 am

Kinnera wrote:
Kris wrote:

LOL.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:05 am

truthbetold wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Still a little puzzled.  Why am I supposed to do anything? 

Even assuming I am in India, why should I have a problem? 

Is there strike by butchers?  Are you organizing butchers to go on a strike?  

Are your butchers friends refusing to do their kula dharmam? 

What is the problem?
Shantam Shantam, Do you eat meat and/or halal meat?  For muslims, halal rule applies to any kind of meat they eat. The reason I said mutton (as in goat meat) because in the US you pretty much don't have a choice other than halal meat when it comes to goat meat unlike chicken, pork or beef.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:47 am

Hellsangel wrote:

kosher slaughter.

Not quite:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Islamic_and_Jewish_dietary_laws wrote:There are no restrictions on what organs or parts of the carcass may be eaten from a Halal-slaughtered and -dressed animal; as long as it was slaughtered and prepared according to the rules of Halal, the entire animal, with the exception of[citation needed] blood, bones, fat not attached to meat, and wounded parts, is fit for consumption by Muslims. However, Kashrut prohibits eating the chelev (certain types of fat) and gid hanosheh (the sciatic nerve), and thus the hindquarters of a kosher animal must undergo a process called nikkur (or, in Yiddish, porging) in order to be fit for consumption by Jews. As nikkur is an expensive, time-consuming process, it is rarely practiced outside of Israel, and the hindquarters of kosher-slaughtered animals in the rest of the world are generally sold on the non-kosher market.[20]
So.. looks like it doesn't work ONLY in Israel. Even the skull caps they wear are identical.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:27 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
So.. looks like it doesn't work ONLY in Israel. Even the skull caps they wear are identical.

I assume you all know the simple-basic answer to this..don't you..In case someone does not..

They are all from the same ancestry- family tree: Abraham being the grand-great Grandpa to them all..

*(Arab) Muslims are the descendents of Son #1 Ishmael (Father of Arabs)

*Jews are descendents of Son #2 Isaac ("The Special and Chosen One"- Father of Hebrews)

Of the thousands of descendants..the most noteworthy of Isaac's lineage was Jesus the Rebel Jew - who questioned most of the "human" traditional Judeo practices and rituals..his teachings (New Testament) were almost in reversal of the Old Testament of the Bible, and we know what happens when any Rebel becomes popular..and the powerful are threatened. So, point being..most of the practices are similar and that's no surprise.

Speaking of the Rebel Jew...this is what he says about "unclean food" and practices..another apparent *gasp* moment (for the Jewish Leaders) at that time. One may interpret it any way they want to, it seems quite direct to me.

Matthew 15:15-20
 15 Then Peter asked Jesus, "Explain what you meant when you said people aren't defiled by what they eat." 16 "Don't you understand?" Jesus asked him. 17 "Anything you eat passes through the stomach and then goes out of the body. 18 But evil words come from an evil heart and defile the person who says them. 19 For from the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, all other sexual immorality, theft, lying, and slander. 20 These are what defile you. Eating with unwashed hands could never defile you and make you unacceptable to God.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:46 am

Maria S wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I assume you all know the simple-basic answer to this..don't you..In case someone does not..

They are all from the same ancestry- family tree: Abraham being the grand-great Grandpa to them all..

*(Arab) Muslims are the descendents of Son #1 Ishmael (Father of Arabs)

*Jews are descendents of Son #2 Isaac ("The Special and Chosen One"- Father of Hebrews)

Of the thousands of descendants..the most noteworthy of Isaac's lineage was Jesus the Rebel Jew - who questioned most of the "human" traditional Judeo practices and rituals..his teachings (New Testament) were almost in reversal of the Old Testament of the Bible, and we know what happens when any Rebel becomes popular..and the powerful are threatened. So, point being..most of the practices are similar and that's no surprise.

Speaking of the Rebel Jew...this is what he says about "unclean food" and practices..another apparent *gasp* moment (for the Jewish Leaders) at that time. One may interpret it any way they want to, it seems quite direct to me.

Matthew 15:15-20
 15 Then Peter asked Jesus, "Explain what you meant when you said people aren't defiled by what they eat." 16 "Don't you understand?" Jesus asked him. 17 "Anything you eat passes through the stomach and then goes out of the body. 18 But evil words come from an evil heart and defile the person who says them. 19 For from the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, all other sexual immorality, theft, lying, and slander. 20 These are what defile you. Eating with unwashed hands could never defile you and make you unacceptable to God.
>>>Too heavy too early in the morning Mariakka, but wanted to wish you Good Morning Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:52 am

Good Morning Kris..nice of you (the akka thing, must be cute to you!)

I woke up early today and have been working..so it's not too early for me!
And as much as I like to have fun and goof around, like to learn or say something of at least a little value, at any time:)

Hope you have a fun day!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down