Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fall in NE

+5
Kris
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
goodcitizn
Impedimenta
MaxEntropy_Man
9 posters

Go down

fall in NE Empty fall in NE

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:29 pm

fall in NE Photo_10
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

fall in NE Empty Re: fall in NE

Post by Impedimenta Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:50 pm

so pretty! where is this? It is so gorgeous outside but i am stuck at home. not well and watching horror movies on syfy.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:51 pm

Impedimenta wrote:so pretty! where is this? It is so gorgeous outside but i am stuck at home. not well and watching horror movies on syfy.

quabbin reservoir. hope you feel better soon.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Nice. I think it will become like this here by next week or two.

Meanwhile, I am sitting with hot oil on my head after being coconut oil head-massaged by a gori and wondering if we ever had the patent on this kinda treatment. When I bought this over groupon I was sure it was a desi setup. Anyhoos. She is going to give me a hair cut right after this. How do people cut over oily hair, wasn't that a big no no. Anyway, hope it isn't too bad. Let's see.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:02 pm

i love biking on roads like this on a fall weekend afternoon. reminds me of the important things in life and why living in NE isn't so bad despite the rigors of winter.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:07 pm

I used to love walking around Walden Pond at this time of the year. NE is so gorgeous in Fall.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:11 pm

goodcitizn wrote:I used to love walking around Walden Pond at this time of the year. NE is so gorgeous in Fall.

oh yes. i was there earlier this summer with my parents and we spent a quiet afternoon walking around the pond. introducing my parents who have been city dwellers for a long time now to the beauty of new england over the last decade has been one of the joys of my life.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:12 pm

....This is VERY offensive...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:14 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

haha, saamiyaar you ought to come here sometime. nature is putting on a particularly spectacular show this year.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:23 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:I used to love walking around Walden Pond at this time of the year. NE is so gorgeous in Fall.

oh yes. i was there earlier this summer with my parents and we spent a quiet afternoon walking around the pond. introducing my parents who have been city dwellers for a long time now to the beauty of new england over the last decade has been one of the joys of my life.

Glad you took your folks there. No wonder Thoreau wrote his famous essays in that peaceful and picturesque setting.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:53 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

haha, saamiyaar you ought to come here sometime. nature is putting on a particularly spectacular show this year.

Actually, I have seen the Fall colors in the NE/E in the UPSTATE NY area, Finger lakes region, Virginia Skyline drive - fabulous.

The Smokey mountain, Ozarks are also equally fantastic more during the last week of Oct/first week of Nov. There is not much on the West Coast. Wisconsin along the mississippi river is beautiful. In fact the hilly areas on either side of Missouri river are beautiful (mississippi river is wide and flat..except for the northern reaches ..)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:10 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Actually, I have seen the Fall colors in the NE/E in the UPSTATE NY area, Finger lakes region, Virginia Skyline drive - fabulous.

The Smokey mountain, Ozarks are also equally fantastic more during the last week of Oct/first week of Nov. There is not much on the West Coast. Wisconsin along the mississippi river is beautiful.  In fact the hilly areas on either side of Missouri river are beautiful (mississippi river is wide and flat..except for the northern reaches ..)

been meaning to get down there for a while now. schedule gets booked up so fast these days with hardly any flexibility to shoehorn some short vacations.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:33 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

The Smokey mountain, Ozarks are also equally fantastic more during the last week of Oct/first week of Nov. There is not much on the West Coast. Wisconsin along the mississippi river is beautiful.  In fact the hilly areas on either side of Missouri river are beautiful (mississippi river is wide and flat..except for the northern reaches ..)

been meaning to get down there for a while now. schedule gets booked up so fast these days with hardly any flexibility to shoehorn some short vacations.  

great place to camp, whitewater rafting, cycling, hiking. fly to ATL and rent a car for 3, 4 days (2-3 hr drive depending on where u go; also 4 hr drive to hilton head coast). best time July 4th - mid Sept. Fall colors during your Fall break is ok.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:46 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

great place to camp, whitewater rafting, cycling, hiking. fly to ATL and rent a car for 3, 4 days (2-3 hr drive depending on where u go; also 4 hr drive to hilton head coast). best time July 4th - mid Sept. Fall colors during your Fall break is ok.
>>>Isn't it muggy? I remember being there in late July or early August for a conference once. Drove from Savannah and it was a nice drive through lush green country.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:58 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>Isn't it muggy? I remember being there in late July or early August for a conference once. Drove from Savannah and it was a nice drive through lush green country.

Hilton head is just an add-on if he so desires. most cant combine Smokey and beach in a single trip. but the option is there. Hilton head (more so the nearby islands) is ideal during spring break. December is fine as well.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Uppili

I have spent time in all the places you mentioned.  CT has plenty of tall tress and few mountains. It has been treat for the past two weeks.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:24 pm

truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Uppili

I have spent time in all the places you mentioned.  CT has plenty of tall tress and few mountains. It has been treat for the past two weeks.

>>>My cousin lived a couple of hours outside of NY city, but lives in CA now. He still raves about how the place would be a riot of colors right about this time of year. I have seen it only a couple of times. I don't think I can live with the winters though.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:32 pm

Kris wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Uppili

>>>My cousin lived a couple of hours outside of NY city, but lives in CA now. He still raves about how the place would be a riot of colors right about this time of year. I have seen it only a couple of times. I don't think I can live with the winters though.
Kris,

I lived in winter hell called minnesota and brutal wisconsin. Compared to those places, CT is a breeze. But for people of Indian origin it is still a very cold and uninviting place.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:35 pm

i think california guys exaggerate NE winters. yeah it's bad, but it's also charming. you learn to love it after you've lived here a few years. yes we cuss our winters, but winters are also beautiful.

couple of weeks ago while walking my pooch in my neighborhood:

fall in NE Photo_12
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:31 pm

you live in a bful place, max.
i downloaded your pic and enhanced it. it's now looking even more b'ful. will post when i login from my phone Smile

you live in a place like from a book like romantic novel. really cute.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:18 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think california guys exaggerate NE winters. yeah it's bad, but it's also charming. you learn to love it after you've lived here a few years. yes we cuss our winters, but winters are also beautiful.

The problem with the Calis and the Pseudo-calis AKA desis is that they assume that cali means SFO and LA. They forget half of Cali - the real beautiful cali lies north of SFO. Once you go up to Weed or the bordering Klamath Falls, snow and Winter is just as dandy as in Colorado. After all Sashta Mountain has snow-capped peak year round.

But then hardly any desis live there.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:22 pm

I lived in MI for 11 yrs. Yeah, the fall is lovely, but winters are brutal. The bright sunny months were like for 4 months or so in a year. The other months were cold and super cold. So depressing!

I love it here in ATL. Nothing like it! Its lovely weather keeps one in a cheerful mood throughout the year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think california guys exaggerate NE winters. yeah it's bad, but it's also charming. you learn to love it after you've lived here a few years. yes we cuss our winters, but winters are also beautiful.

The problem with the Calis and the Pseudo-calis AKA desis is that they assume that cali means SFO and LA.  They forget half of Cali - the real beautiful cali lies north of SFO. Once you go up to Weed or the bordering Klamath Falls, snow and Winter is just as dandy as in Colorado. After all Sashta Mountain has snow-capped peak year round.

>>>Some Patels who own motels and Sikh gas station owners would pretty much be it. It is beautiful, but you get the feeling many of the natives dropped out a long time ago. There is a world of difference between the Bay Area (or Greater LA) and these parts of CA, in terms of the demographics.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:44 pm

Kris wrote:

The problem with the Calis and the Pseudo-calis AKA desis is that they assume that cali means SFO and LA.  They forget half of Cali - the real beautiful cali lies north of SFO. Once you go up to Weed or the bordering Klamath Falls, snow and Winter is just as dandy as in Colorado. After all Sashta Mountain has snow-capped peak year round.

>>>Some Patels who own motels and Sikh gas station owners would pretty much be it. It is beautiful, but you get the feeling many of the natives dropped out a long time ago. There is a world of difference between the Bay Area (or Greater LA) and these parts of CA, in terms of the demographics.

I have driven many times from SFO to Seattle/oregon/Idaho each time taking different route. I almost got killed (I thought that was it) once near Grants Pass....due to some freakish weather and my own stupidity. But, the entire area - the cascades - is simply beautiful. San Francisco and LA were the only areas that I hated in Cali....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:37 am

goodcitizn wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Glad you took your folks there. No wonder Thoreau wrote his famous essays in that peaceful and picturesque setting.

thoreau's essays are as restful as walden pond itself. time seems to stand still when you read them. they are so peaceful.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:50 am

The colorful photo is nice..and am sure it's visually a lovely time of the year.

Don't want to compare the regions..Autumn is a gorgeous time, even in my small village..hills and valleys (like Ooty) and in many places in the South (US)..

Feels Octoberish..cool and crisp..colors everywhere..falling leaves..people wearing bright colors of their fav. football teams and homecoming events..pumpkins carved..jack-o-lanterns lined up..festive feeling in the air! I suppose we need something to celebrate to escape the ennui. 

Why the pessimism about aging and fear of the unknown..a trip to a children's hospital, any hospital can offer persepctive..so much suffering at any age. On the bright side 50s are pretty good..for the most part:)

All we have is today..and we try to make the best of it..that's my other conclusionment!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:56 am

not fear of illness itself maria, but the idea of physically depending on another human. somehow that idea seems abhorrent.

for GC who mentioned thoreau earlier. i love this passage. everyone should strive to live like this!

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion.

— Henry David Thoreau, Walden, "Where I Lived, and What I Lived For"[34]
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:05 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:not fear of illness itself maria, but the idea of physically depending on another human. somehow that idea seems abhorrent.

for GC who mentioned thoreau earlier. i love this passage. everyone should strive to live like this!

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion.

— Henry David Thoreau, Walden, "Where I Lived, and What I Lived For"[34]

That's a great passage!

Sure, I understand, and don't think any of us want to be dependent on anyone..and hope it never happens.

Ok, got up too early today..Sunday work awaits..have a good day/night everyone!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:43 am

fall in kyoto - another 3-4 weeks to go before nature unleashes her full splendor

fall in NE Kyoto10

fall in NE Kinkak10

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:47 am

bw -- those are fantastic pics. what is that structure?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:50 am

that's the kinkaku-ji temple. was there a few hours ago.

modiji was also at some of these places recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkaku-ji

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:32 am

Brrrr. Turned out XH is more sick than I am. Hence my turn for soccer duty. Feels so good when the sun comes up. Hellish when it goes under cover.

fall in NE GueYswI

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down