Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kids N Money

Go down

Kids N Money Empty Kids N Money

Post by TruthSeeker Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:25 pm

I still remember when I was 8, just started learning about money.

I asked my dad - Daddy, how much money do you have?

My dad had replied back then - A lot. Tons. Infinite. He claimed. He told me that he has so much, that I dont have to ever question it again in my mind.

Relaxed, I never thought about it.

Today, my kids are of the same age to be curious. But they are far more intelligent with materialistic needs that I had back then.

They question why I am buying iPhone 5s over 6s, macbook over macbook Pro with Retina, for them.

And I try to teach them the value of money. Having enough does not mean spend it all, or what value are you getting for what you spend, what if we need it tomorrow for something more important and so on. 

When they throw chocolates that they don't want, in pounds of them esp. after halloween, in the trash - it makes me wonder.

Are they learning properly or not?

How to teach your kids about money?

TIA,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Kids N Money Empty Re: Kids N Money

Post by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:54 pm

Other than saving, earning (doing small jobs) and being stingy in general, my kids know nothing about finances so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:50 am

Two things when teaching kids about money:

1. Never make the kids feel that we don't have enough money. They should never be made to feel poor. Even if you are laid off and don't have a job, the tensions of that should not be expressed to the kids. They should always feel abundant.
2. Money is important to lead a comfortable life, but you don't need all the money in the world. Giving back to the community is very important. give give give! don't be greedy and keep it all.

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:22 pm

First of all - Thanks Kiddo and Kinnu on sharing your thoughts.

@Kiddo - NRI Kids, historically, are known for 2 things - either they try to become a "face" (as in Nikki, Ms. Governor) or try to visit India as some kind of missionary. In their mind, they feel a need to "help" the poor in India. 

In either case, They are not proud Indians. Its either "shun" or "pity" India.

@Kinnera - You speak "Your" mind. I seek that "kids" mind. You are not a Kid. Point being - you are lost in your own mindset, perhaps, that you fail to respond with anyone else's?

Regards,
TS

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:33 pm

Do you have comprehension issues? Read again:

Two things when teaching kids about money:

1. Never make the kids feel that we don't have enough money. They should never be made to feel poor. Even if you are laid off and don't have a job, the tensions of that should not be expressed to the kids. They should always feel abundant.
2. Teach the kids that money is important to lead a comfortable life, but you don't need all the money in the world. Giving back to the community is very important. give give give! don't be greedy and keep it all.

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:37 pm

And whats the kid's viewpoint, in your humble opinion?

Regards,
TS.

PS: You are not a Principal at a school anymore, and this site is an open forum of expression. Please note that I could be your dad's age for all you know. Unbelievable attitude of an old lady!

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:42 pm

TruthSeeker wrote:And whats the kid's viewpoint, in your humble opinion?

Regards,
TS.

PS: You are not a Principal at a school anymore, and this site is an open forum of expression. Please note that I could be your dad's age for all you know. Unbelievable attitude of an old lady!
Kids viewpoint? They feel abundant and they have the spirit of giving.

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:44 pm

Thats all? Please elaborate on the kid's viewpoint, if you can?

What do Kids think? Kids as in 10-17 year olds?

Thanks and G'nite,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down