Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saranam bhava (Narayana Teertha), two styles of singing

3 posters

Go down

Saranam bhava (Narayana Teertha), two styles of singing Empty Saranam bhava (Narayana Teertha), two styles of singing

Post by indophile Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:35 pm

#1 by Srirangam Gopalaratnam
#2 by Balamuralikrishna

indophile

Back to top Go down

Saranam bhava (Narayana Teertha), two styles of singing Empty Re: Saranam bhava (Narayana Teertha), two styles of singing

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:00 pm

I grew up listening to these trangas. My father, uncle and aunt, all sang them. The local farming community used to sing these in their "kolaatam" and "dance" on the road (garba-like). They had group competitions. Those days, bhakti was woven into daily activities and my village had that wonderful atmosphere.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Saranam bhava (Narayana Teertha), two styles of singing Empty Re: Saranam bhava (Narayana Teertha), two styles of singing

Post by Guest Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:19 pm

Rendoo baagunnayi. Sreerangam Gopalaratnam gari appudeppudo 1980s lo hyderabad doordarshan lo paadevaru. Radio lo kooda aavida paatalu vacchevi. Aa kaalam lo Shoba Naidu gari, Ratna paapa gari kuchipudi dances kooda hyd doordarshan lo vacchevi. I was fortunate to grow up watching them.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:35 am

Kinnera wrote:Rendoo baagunnayi. Sreerangam Gopalaratnam gari appudeppudo 1980s lo hyderabad doordarshan lo paadevaru. Radio lo kooda aavida paatalu vacchevi. Aa kaalam lo Shoba Naidu gari, Ratna paapa gari kuchipudi dances kooda hyd doordarshan lo vacchevi. I was fortunate to grow up watching them.

I was introduced to both artistes (Gopalaratnam & MBK) through Bhaktiranjani program of AIR - Vijayawada, and Voleti Venkateswarlu through his song teaching programs at the same station.
As for Ratnapapa, she now lives in Houston, TX. She is the daughter of one of the Seeta - Anasuya sisters. I saw her perform her Kuchipudi dance in Washington very long time ago. One thing striking about her is her Telugu diction. You will be entranced by just listening to her in normal conversation. When I learned that she is closely related to Devulapalli Krishna Sastri and Balamuralikrishna, I realized where that cultured talk at such a high level came from!

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:26 am

Balamurali sounds rather young in this. Both are fabulous singers!

Seetha & Anasuya are Devulapalli Krishnasasthry's nieces.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:46 pm

indophile wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Rendoo baagunnayi. Sreerangam Gopalaratnam gari appudeppudo 1980s lo hyderabad doordarshan lo paadevaru. Radio lo kooda aavida paatalu vacchevi. Aa kaalam lo Shoba Naidu gari, Ratna paapa gari kuchipudi dances kooda hyd doordarshan lo vacchevi. I was fortunate to grow up watching them.

I was introduced to both artistes (Gopalaratnam & MBK) through Bhaktiranjani program of AIR - Vijayawada, and Voleti Venkateswarlu through his song teaching programs at the same station.
As for Ratnapapa, she now lives in Houston, TX. She is the daughter of one of the Seeta - Anasuya sisters. I saw her perform her Kuchipudi dance in Washington very long time ago. One thing striking about her is her Telugu diction. You will be entranced by just listening to her in normal conversation. When I learned that she is closely related to Devulapalli Krishna Sastri and Balamuralikrishna, I realized where that cultured talk at such a high level came from!
ya, bhaktiranjani it is. Hyderabad AIR lo kooda vacchedi. My mom used to listen to it religiously. srirangam gopalaratnam gari paatalu andulo vacchevi and she was an admirer of her. she did have a unique husky voice.ya, ratnapapa anasuya kooturu. I saw seeta-anasuyala performance once. They were the pioneers in bringing some respectability to jaanapada geethalu, i think. Their 'mokka jonna thota lo' was very famous and everyone was waiting for them to sing that song. they did sing, but that was their very last song Smile. Ya, heard that they are related to Devulapalli garu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down