Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

to aloo or not to aloo in your biryani?

+6
ashaNirasha
TruthSeeker
bw
MaxEntropy_Man
Merlot Daruwala
Kris
10 posters

Go down

to aloo or not to aloo in your biryani?  Empty to aloo or not to aloo in your biryani?

Post by Guest Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:43 am

so how do you like your biryani? go for the jugular and freely comment. 

i refuse to eat biryani without halved potatoes in it (calcutta biryani and bohri muslim biryani). yes, i am wajid ali shah living on inheritance. (though i must confess that nagarjuna, bangalore, makes the BEST mutton biryani in the world and they don't use potatoes.) also read the last para of the link (you can skip the rest) to understand, 1) biryani is overrated, 2) how it is different from a pulao. 

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1141123/jsp/calcutta/story_19072533.jsp#.VHH8aYuUe3I

Back to top Go down

to aloo or not to aloo in your biryani?  Empty Re: to aloo or not to aloo in your biryani?

Post by Guest Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:16 pm

biryani, pulao, aloo, no aloo... all is good.

Back to top Go down

to aloo or not to aloo in your biryani?  Empty Re: to aloo or not to aloo in your biryani?

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:39 am

tingu wrote:so how do you like your biryani? go for the jugular and freely comment. 

i refuse to eat biryani without halved potatoes in it (calcutta biryani and bohri muslim biryani). yes, i am wajid ali shah living on inheritance. (though i must confess that nagarjuna, bangalore, makes the BEST mutton biryani in the world and they don't use potatoes.) also read the last para of the link (you can skip the rest) to understand, 1) biryani is overrated, 2) how it is different from a pulao. 

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1141123/jsp/calcutta/story_19072533.jsp#.VHH8aYuUe3I

I'm a fan too. Coincidentally, dinner last night was mutton biryani (with aloo) at Jafferbhai's Dilli Darbar.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:40 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
tingu wrote:so how do you like your biryani? go for the jugular and freely comment. 

I'm a fan too. Coincidentally, dinner last night was mutton biryani (with aloo) at Jafferbhai's Dilli Darbar.

welcome to the alu club!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:37 am

i refuse to eat biryani without halved potatoes in it
>>>Am not much of a biryani person. I react unfavorably when I see too much rice in one dish, but I would give it a shot if I see halved potatoes in it. There I have gone for the jugular ...Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:42 am

Kris wrote:

>>>Am not much of a biryani person. I react unfavorably when I see too much rice in one dish, but I would give it a shot if I see halved potatoes in it. There I have gone for the jugular ...Smile
LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:43 am

Kris wrote:

Dear Vegetarian Person,

I can entirely see why you would react unfavorably to too much rice in one dish (and I share the revulsion). But how can more starch, in the form of halved potatoes, with no meat to balance the carb overdose, possibly help??

Yours perplexedly,
MD
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:42 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kris wrote:

Dear Vegetarian Person,

I can entirely see why you would react unfavorably to too much rice in one dish (and I share the revulsion). But how can more starch, in the form of halved potatoes, with no meat to balance the carb overdose, possibly help??

Yours perplexedly,
MD
kris is not veggie. he can't live without beef steaks! he once tried to abstain from eating beef and felt very weak. he immediately went back to eating it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:32 am

tingu wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kris wrote:

Dear Vegetarian Person,

Yours perplexedly,
MD
kris is not veggie. he can't live without beef steaks! he once tried to abstain from eating beef and felt very weak. he immediately went back to eating it!

Abacharam abacharm...I knew the end of Kaliyuga was upon us, but I was hoping I wouldn't live to see such abominable behaviors in my lifetime. No no, I didn't see anything, hear anything...lalalalala...so you were saying?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:40 am

i recently discovered the joys of tempeh. i might try making a tempeh biriyani over the thanksgiving break. we'll see how it turns out.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:47 am

ugh @ alu.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:49 am

here is one tempeh biriyani recipe.
http://vanillasugarblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/distant-cousin-of-tempeh-vegetable.html?m=1

q -- what is a sultana and what is marg?

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:03 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:here is one tempeh biriyani recipe.
http://vanillasugarblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/distant-cousin-of-tempeh-vegetable.html?m=1

q -- what is a sultana and what is marg?

i am tempted to try it if you think tofu will work for tempeh? we get good tofu now here and, in fact, my cook made an amazing NYC style (egg) hot and sour soup for us the other day with silk tofu:

to aloo or not to aloo in your biryani?  2014-113

i have heard of marg. it is a herb. haven't heard of sultana. my advice would be to skip both.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:58 pm

Sultana is a large raisin.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:08 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Sultana is a large raisin.

*stalker alert on*

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:11 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

*stalker alert on*

Eh?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:56 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

*stalker alert on*

Eh?

oh, just that you posted at a time that's sorta unusual for you...

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:45 pm

http://britishfood.about.com/od/glossary/g/driedfruit.htm

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kris wrote:

Dear Vegetarian Person,

Yours perplexedly,
MD

>>>Hey, that was a 3 month experiment. HK has a good memory. This rice thing is starting to become a phobia of late. I don't even think meat will help.

P.S. I also did a high protein diet for a couple of months. Didn't like that either Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:35 am

Kris wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kris wrote:

Dear Vegetarian Person,

Yours perplexedly,
MD

>>>Hey, that was a 3 month experiment. HK has a good memory. This rice thing is starting to become a phobia of late. I don't even think meat will help.

P.S. I also did a high protein diet for a couple of months. Didn't like that either Smile

you haven't joined the quinoa club yet?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:56 am

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kris wrote:

Dear Vegetarian Person,

Yours perplexedly,
MD

>>>My wife went thru this phase, but seems to have backed away from it. I must say I have not protested this change of heart. Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:20 am

Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kris wrote:

Dear Vegetarian Person,

Yours perplexedly,
MD

>>>My wife went thru this phase, but seems to have backed away from it. I must say I have not protested this change of heart. Smile

i hope the food police rounds up all those who substitute rice with quinoa and eat thayir quinoa, rasam quinoa etc. some brazen ones attempt quinoa pongal too, i hear. i can go without rice for months but there is no way i will be reduced to eating thayir quinoa. *shudder*

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:51 am

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Dear Vegetarian Person,

Yours perplexedly,
MD

i hope the food police rounds up all those who substitute rice with quinoa and eat thayir quinoa, rasam quinoa etc. some brazen ones attempt quinoa pongal too, i hear. i can go without rice for months but there is no way i will be reduced to eating thayir quinoa. *shudder*
>> I recall quinoa upma or some such thing. That is two things I hate. Maybe, that is when I signed off.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Honestly, I find it very easy to discard the pieces (esp. the big pieces like half cut aloo) that I dont like, and enjoy the rest! :-)

Everyone MUST stay in hostel in India, during college!

Such "Nakhare" ?

Uff!

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:27 am

The only biryani I care for is the Hyderabadi biryani, and I'm greatful it does't have potatoes in it. I don't like any biryani that has 1.) potatoes 2.) tomatoes 3.) tamarind 4.) nuts. Some nuts are tolerable but raisins are a big no for me.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:37 am

ashaNirasha wrote:Some nuts are tolerable but raisins are a big no for me.

i personally feel NO nuts are tolerable -- cashews, pistachios, peanuts, no no. raisins, NO. nuts neither absorb flavour nor impart flavour. they are just a nutty distraction. kind of like what emojis are in a whatsapp conversation, hai na? to aloo or not to aloo in your biryani?  Tic10

yes, hyderabandi biryani is the best! but i don't like paradise biryani (the benchmark i figure). nagarjuna and swati rock. their biryani could have been better if it had halved potatoes. to aloo or not to aloo in your biryani?  Tic10

my hyderabadi gaming (and fb) friend; she made dum chicken today and sent me a pic. the pic was so good that i am posting it: 

to aloo or not to aloo in your biryani?  10811510

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:50 am

Not related to the thread, I had lunch at Noor Mohammadi today. Besides their famous Chicken Sanjubaba, I had dal ghosht, paya gravy, roti and chicken white biryani.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:22 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Not related to the thread, I had lunch at Noor Mohammadi today. Besides their famous Chicken Sanjubaba, I had dal ghosht, paya gravy, roti and chicken white biryani.

to aloo or not to aloo in your biryani?  Yuck10

hate gelatin and that to as a GOSHT! how the duck make you make a gosht of paya? wait -- you can if you can make biryani with tofu or with elephant yam (famous dialogue from gangs of wasseypur -- wo elephant yam jo hindu log khate hain gosht samajh kar) then you can make gosht with paya too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:35 am

Have never had anything paya.

I love nuts in pulao. And anaar too (in pulao).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:00 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Have never had anything paya.

liar! you once posted about relishing paya (chicken feet). too lazy too google and ain't googling for googly-bot has stopped visiting such i feel. the such in-built search feature is bad and even google does not work now! this forum is MH370 unless some clever posters advise me of the the correct way of googling for posts here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:09 pm

tingu wrote:

liar! you once posted about relishing paya (chicken feet). too lazy too google and ain't googling for googly-bot has stopped visiting such i feel. the such in-built search feature is bad and even google does not work now! this forum is MH370 unless some clever posters advise me of the the correct way of googling for posts here.

that was general pieces of goat cartilege, not goat feet.  Or even if it was, it wasn't in the shape of a paya like u see in the grocery stores. Shocked or what if it WAS... ShockedShockedShocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:13 pm

Kris wrote:
>> I recall quinoa upma or some such thing. That is two things I hate. Maybe, that is when I signed off.

My wife has suddenly become swadeshi on quinoa matters. She made Ragi Upma, Ragi Dosai, etc... and not bad either.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:32 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
tingu wrote:

that was general pieces of goat cartilege, not goat feet.  Or even if it was, it wasn't in the shape of a paya like u see in the grocery stores. Shocked or what if it WAS... Shocked:shock
A  point to be noted milord.  i would rather die than eat cartilage related food: 3 foods i can eat any day without complain and i do:

1) toor/arahar dal wih rice;

2) curd-rice with curd-soaked red peppers;

3) dalia (cracked wheat with ooodles of ghee tadka and mixed with coriander chutney).

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kris wrote:

My wife has suddenly become swadeshi on quinoa matters. She made Ragi Upma, Ragi Dosai, etc... and not bad either.
Yeah, the closest I ever came to buying anything health foodish is buying quinoa, and at the very last moment changed my mind, and bought ragi flour instead. Now it's been sitting in the pantry forever.

Btw, what's up with signature or whatever that is at the bottom? Is that supposed to be a warning or something sleazy?

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:26 pm

tingu wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
tingu wrote:

that was general pieces of goat cartilege, not goat feet.  Or even if it was, it wasn't in the shape of a paya like u see in the grocery stores. Shocked or what if it WAS... Shocked:shock
A  point to be noted milord.  i would rather die than eat cartilage related food: 3 foods i can eat any day without complain and i do:

3) dalia (cracked wheat with ooodles of ghee tadka and mixed with coriander chutney).

pics or it didnt happen

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:52 pm

tingu wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
tingu wrote:

I have a pack of those curd- soaked red chillies. Back home, they were strictly part of a all vegetarian Saturday afternoon meal of rice, dal, papads, pacchadi etc.

I also have a pack of yogurt soaked, salted, dried tiny prawns which is my prized possession as of now. After multiple attempts at being smuggled over several months, by a determined mother hell bent on sending it, it finally made its way.

You just need to add a handful of those to any veggie curry, and it just gives so much flavor. They are expensive, I'm told, and not widely available.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:11 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:The only biryani I care for is the Hyderabadi biryani, and I'm greatful it does't have potatoes in it. I don't like any biryani that has 1.) potatoes 2.) tomatoes 3.) tamarind 4.) nuts. Some nuts are tolerable but raisins are a big no for me.

that's grate!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:00 pm

To a Hyderabadi it sounds like an abomination but I once tasted mutton Biryani with potatoes in it and it was okay, it didn't impact the taste at all. This was from a small Biryani take out joint in Seattle. From what I remember, all they do is Biryani and just twice a week, with an old Paki man and his assistant doing all the work.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:31 pm

Not to aloo. Biryani should have mutton pieces and more mutton pieces and nothing else. Period!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:57 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
tingu wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
tingu wrote:

pics or it didnt happen

we get them in the SI ghetto market in kolkata: to aloo or not to aloo in your biryani?  Tic11

to aloo or not to aloo in your biryani?  2014-114

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:01 am

Had some andhra style chicken pulao with young eggs from the same chicken last night in India...it was cooked fiery andhra style...you don't get a bad meal in andhra lik ever..even when it's not good it's good enough.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:03 am

Oh yeah those marinated-sundried-marinated chilies....love those raw, fried it don't matter

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:22 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:Oh yeah those marinated-sundried-marinated chilies....love those raw, fried it don't matter

Shocked

maybe i should try eating it raw once.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:45 am

had chicken biryani for lunch, from a restaurant nearby. No aloo. Only chicken, some khada masala like big elachi, and some fried onion. Is supposed to be Lucknowi biryani. I don't know the technical diff between this and hyderabadi one, but whenever I have been told I am eating the L kind, I like it better than the H kind that I have mostly eaten from a place nearby. H kind comes with something called saalan (chutney), that makes it super spicy. Without it, there is not much flavor in the biryani. OTOH, L kind is super flavorful. This time we had it made mild, so the flavors were even more enjoyable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:28 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:had chicken biryani for lunch, from a restaurant nearby. No aloo. Only chicken, some khada masala like big elachi, and some fried onion. Is supposed to be Lucknowi biryani. I don't know the technical diff between this and hyderabadi one, but whenever I have been told I am eating the L kind, I like it better than the H kind that I have mostly eaten from a place nearby. H kind comes with something called saalan (chutney), that makes it super spicy. Without it, there is not much flavor in the biryani. OTOH, L kind is super flavorful. This time we had it made mild, so the flavors were even more enjoyable.

statutory disclaimer: i'm not an expert.

i've found that awadhi biryani is bland whereas hyderabadi has more spices and lots of flavour. you don't need that salaan or raita with hyderabadi biryani. awadhi biryani does not use that many spices and is a good comfort food if it meets 3 criteria, 1) meat is soft and can be broken with fingers, 2) has lots of ghee, 3) has potatoes. this biryani mixed with a plain onion-raita is tasty stuff. now my friends tell me that a good awadhi biryani or the authentic variety has minimal ghee. that may be the case but, to me, biryani without ghee is useless. ghee and butter are two of the tastiest substances on planet earth. then you have kacchi biryani (made from raw mutton) which is found only in the hyderabadi or nizami tradition. so, to sum it up, hyderabadi is more flavourful. awadhi is more iranian -- bland. yes they have biryani in iran -- t's called birjan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:11 am

tingu wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:had chicken biryani for lunch, from a restaurant nearby. No aloo. Only chicken, some khada masala like big elachi, and some fried onion. Is supposed to be Lucknowi biryani. I don't know the technical diff between this and hyderabadi one, but whenever I have been told I am eating the L kind, I like it better than the H kind that I have mostly eaten from a place nearby. H kind comes with something called saalan (chutney), that makes it super spicy. Without it, there is not much flavor in the biryani. OTOH, L kind is super flavorful. This time we had it made mild, so the flavors were even more enjoyable.

statutory disclaimer: i'm not an expert.

i've found that awadhi biryani is bland whereas hyderabadi has more spices and lots of flavour. you don't need that salaan or raita with hyderabadi biryani. awadhi biryani does not use that many spices and is a good comfort food if it meets 3 criteria, 1) meat is soft and can be broken with fingers, 2) has lots of ghee, 3) has potatoes. this biryani mixed with a plain onion-raita is tasty stuff. now my friends tell me that a good awadhi biryani or the authentic variety has minimal ghee. that may be the case but, to me, biryani without ghee is useless. ghee and butter are two of the tastiest substances on planet earth. then you have kacchi biryani (made from raw mutton) which is found only in the hyderabadi or nizami tradition. so, to sum it up, hyderabadi is more flavourful. awadhi is more iranian -- bland. yes they have biryani in iran -- t's called birjan.

guess you are right about the comfort food. Awadhi/Lucknowi biryani is flavorful too, without the sweaty hot spices I guess. In general, I prefer bland food, grew up with it. Spices (hot ones) taandav, enjoyable once in a while, but usually I prefer minimum flavors where you can taste the original ingredients just the right way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down