Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulava chaaru biryani???

5 posters

Go down

Ulava chaaru biryani??? Empty Ulava chaaru biryani???

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:01 pm

It seems, people of Vizag prefer Ulavachaaru Biryani to Hyderabadi Biryani.  

నా చిన్నప్పుడు, ఉలవలు గేదెలకి కుదితి పెట్టే వాళ్ళు. ఇప్పుడు, మనుషులు ఉలవలు తింటున్నారన్న మాట.

Hmm....

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/141217/nation-current-affairs/article/ulava-biryani-beats-dum-biryani-visakhapatnam

Ulava chaaru biryani??? BIRYANI_0_0_0

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Ulava chaaru biryani??? Empty Re: Ulava chaaru biryani???

Post by Guest Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:23 pm

I thought Ulava charu was a Rayalaseema specialty. Vijayawada lo kooda chestarani teleedu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:03 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:It seems, people of Vizag prefer Ulavachaaru Biryani to Hyderabadi Biryani.  

నా చిన్నప్పుడు, ఉలవలు గేదెలకి కుదితి పెట్టే వాళ్ళు. ఇప్పుడు, మనుషులు ఉలవలు తింటున్నారన్న మాట.

huh? ulava chaaru has been a krishna/guntur delicacy since atleast 3 or 4 generations.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Novel idea but won't the chaaru become dry by cooking together with rice as a biryani? The fun of eating ulava chaaru is in mixing more of it into the rice for every alternative morsel.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:28 pm

Kinnera wrote:I thought Ulava charu was a Rayalaseema specialty. Vijayawada lo kooda chestarani teleedu.

నేను Vizag side వాణ్ణే. అయితే మా వేపు మా చిన్నప్పుడు కాస్త బీదవాళ్ళు ఉలవల పప్పు చేసుకొనేవారు. సాధారణంగా ఉలవలు ఉడికించి  గుఱ్ఱాలకి దానాగా పెట్టేవారు. ఉలవ-చారు కృష్ణా జిల్లా వాళ్ళే పరిచయం చేసి ఉంటారు.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:It seems, people of Vizag prefer Ulavachaaru Biryani to Hyderabadi Biryani.  

huh? ulava chaaru has been a krishna/guntur delicacy since atleast 3 or 4 generations.
I didn't know that. In my house, my mother and grand-mother didn't use them in chaaru (are ulavalu used in making pOpu?). I know for sure that we used ulavalu for గేదెల కుడితి. Maa eddulu/barrelaku గానుగ వేసి నూనె తీసిన గింజల చెక్కలు అంటే ఇష్టం. I forgot what they were called.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:45 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

I didn't know that. In my house, my mother and grand-mother didn't use them in chaaru (are ulavalu used in making pOpu?). I know for sure that we used ulavalu for గేదెల కుడితి. Maa eddulu/barrelaku గానుగ వేసి నూనె తీసిన గింజల చెక్కలు అంటే ఇష్టం. I forgot what they were called.
That's because it is a staple of Kamma households only not common among other communities in Krishna/Guntur.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:18 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

telakapindi acchulu.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:41 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

That's because it is a staple of Kamma households only not common among other communities in Krishna/Guntur.

I dont think so. everyone I know from that area grew up eating it. it's labor intensive and takes lots of time to make so was not as common 30 yrs ago as it is these days with ulava chaaru factories and whatnot. love the pearl onions they use in it

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:34 pm

indophile wrote:
Kinnera wrote:I thought Ulava charu was a Rayalaseema specialty. Vijayawada lo kooda chestarani teleedu.

నేను Vizag side వాణ్ణే. అయితే మా వేపు మా చిన్నప్పుడు కాస్త బీదవాళ్ళు ఉలవల పప్పు చేసుకొనేవారు. సాధారణంగా ఉలవలు ఉడికించి  గుఱ్ఱాలకి దానాగా పెట్టేవారు. ఉలవ-చారు కృష్ణా జిల్లా వాళ్ళే పరిచయం చేసి ఉంటారు.
అవునండి.  అవి గుర్రాల్లకి పెడతారు. అందుకనే వాటిని horse gram అంటారు. కాని ఉలవ చారు చేయటం ప్రయాసతో కూడిన పని. That's why they make in huge quantities. పెద్ద భానలి-కట్టెల పొయ్యి మీద రొజనంతా ఉడకబెడతారు. Mom never made it. Our relatives used to make in the towns back home and send to all the relatives in hyderabad. It was a precious and rare thing back in the day. Now i believe, we get in ready made packets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down