Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today

+5
Another Brick
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
artood2
truthbetold
Merlot Daruwala
9 posters

Go down

Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today Empty Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:18 am

The masses have spoken. The change has happened. Those thieving politicians in parliament were forced to accept Anna's three points. And we have a brand new India today. No more corruption, starting this morning. All our sacrifices of the last two weeks (including enduring 24x7 TV coverage of every little leaf that moved on ram lila grounds) have been really worth this.

Pesky traffic cop demanding 100 bucks for driving through a red light for my urgent meeting, take that. Spoiltsport sub-registrar demanding 20K for winking away the vastly under-reported value of my apartment purchase, take that. Imbecilic IT case officer demanding a cut of my un-reported capital gains, take that. All you party-poopers will now end up in jail for raining on my parade. The brand new, shiny India will never tolerate YOUR corruption (mine is a different matter). Everyone now hold up your candles and toast this awesome demonstration of how change happens through people power. Totally restores my faith in humanity. Jai Hind.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today Empty Re: Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:29 am

Your stream of nitpicking criticism only displays a biased mind.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article2406117.ece?homepage=true

Read Santosh Hegde's comments. There may be few who believe in a miracle and a smaller few who stand ready to criticize those who believe in complete eradication of corruption.

Most of Anna supporters see this as starting point or turning point to a different type of future. Look back at early 1990 financial reforms, electoral reforms and alternative to congress congress govts. Some cynics said they are not going to amount to much. But 20 years of history shows India is much more economically successful , elections are conducted better and a strong multi party democracy took roots. In the 20 years, each of the original turning points have been modified several times, some times for better and some times to save politicos. Torturous path indeed. But that is how change happens.

As several people on this forum pointed earlier, this is just a start in painful process to minimize corruption. So you will have to pay the corrupt cop in the forseable future.

Of course all bets are off if Laloo comes to power as he is the only truthful sole voice for defence of politico's right to loot the country.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today Empty Re: Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:13 am

Dear Mr 500-word-essayist, please don't belittle Anna's achievement. It IS a brand new India where corruption is non-existent. Anyone who disagrees is anti-Anna and a Congress sycophant.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:28 am

So never start a job you cannot get done in a day?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:20 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Dear Mr 500-word-essayist, please don't belittle Anna's achievement. It IS a brand new India where corruption is non-existent. Anyone who disagrees is anti-Anna and a Congress sycophant.

You are beginning to sound more and more like me - in sarcasm in every post.

I am glad that you learnt SOMETHING here.

Anna fasted, Govt. agreed, some bill will be passed, and

everyone can go back to normalcy now: strictly following the Rules of bribery and corruption.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:04 am

truthbetold wrote:Read Santosh Hegde's comments.

Team Anna knows that Justice Hegde, good man that he may be, is not a true believer. He betrayed Anna and India by suggesting that Anna should call of the fast simply because the PM walked an extra mile in the Lok Sabha. Considering that you set much store by Justice Hegde's words, it's clear that you are anti-Anna and anti-India too.

truthbetold wrote:Most of Anna supporters see this as starting point or turning point to a different type of future.

Makes me lose my faith in humanity when you call the people's victory in the war on corruption as just a starting point. This kind of belittling of Anna's 12-day fast is the bane of India and is a mark of the anti-Anna, anti-India, pro-Congress sycophancy. Here, set aside your anti-Anna bias for one second and take a look at this Unkil - does he look like he's celebrating a starting point??

Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today Ca0a3481-544c-45a3-9284-e61050337304HiRes

Now study these pictures of people's joy at winning the second fight for freedom -- on par with the fall of the Berlin wall and the resignation of Hosni Mubarak -- and tell me if it looks like they view Anna's crusade as just a starting point:

Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today 9c3a30d0-84aa-405f-8ccd-62c75d967d3dHiRes

Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today 9c1aaa93-7788-4aab-946e-78b1b436c59fHiRes

Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today E9a149b2-7987-4da8-9787-1009042fe72dHiRes

These negativist armchair intellectuals, I tell ya...have absolutely no understanding of what people's power can achieve. And worse still, they refuse to believe that we have won the war against corruption.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:17 am

Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today Ca0a3481-544c-45a3-9284-e61050337304HiRes

hmm, is that sania mirza looking coy behind this gandhi unkil? Aaj Tak never told me about that.

Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today 9c1aaa93-7788-4aab-946e-78b1b436c59fHiRes

ah, CHaunties dancing in celebration with shaven.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:02 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:The masses have spoken. The change has happened. Those thieving politicians in parliament were forced to accept Anna's three points. And we have a brand new India today. No more corruption, starting this morning. All our sacrifices of the last two weeks (including enduring 24x7 TV coverage of every little leaf that moved on ram lila grounds) have been really worth this.

Pesky traffic cop demanding 100 bucks for driving through a red light for my urgent meeting, take that. Spoiltsport sub-registrar demanding 20K for winking away the vastly under-reported value of my apartment purchase, take that. Imbecilic IT case officer demanding a cut of my un-reported capital gains, take that. All you party-poopers will now end up in jail for raining on my parade. The brand new, shiny India will never tolerate YOUR corruption (mine is a different matter). Everyone now hold up your candles and toast this awesome demonstration of how change happens through people power. Totally restores my faith in humanity. Jai Hind.

what's with all the sarcasm merlot ? aren't you happy India is headed in the right direction ? we have to give anna ji credit where its due. he did bring the entire nation together. nobody said India will be corruption free in a day...maybe too much of tv coverage bored u or sth lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:07 am

So aunty in blue cheering for u V nod gupta ? where are u in the pic Razz

@ ah, CHaunties dancing in celebration with shaven.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:30 am

seven wrote:what's with all the sarcasm merlot ? aren't you happy India is headed in the right direction ? we have to give anna ji credit where its due. he did bring the entire nation together. nobody said India will be corruption free in a day...maybe too much of tv coverage bored u or sth lol

Oh I'm happy there's progress on setting up a strong ombudsman but living through two weeks of mindless jingoism took the shine off any positive outcome of the "second freedom struggle" as far as I'm concerned.

I was appalled at the ease with which a small motivated group hijacked the parliamentary process. I was sickened by how the so-called educated middle class in this country, which unfailingly derides the democratic process by pointing to illiterate or poor voters who vote in exchange for material benefits, showed that its own judgement is no better. Those candle-holding slogan shouters showed themselves to be completely incapable of of independent, critical thinking, flocking to do their bit for the country's "second freedom struggle" without bothering to even understand what Baburao was fasting for. Coming so soon after how a cross-dressing charlatan similarly gathered a crowd of thousands of people (and enjoyed the support of hundreds of thousands across India and elsewhere), it's scary to me that this small but highly vocal, highly visible cohort can be so easily seduced and manipulated by simplistic sloganeering and clever imagery invoking freedom struggle etc into aiding and abetting the forcing any piece of legislation down the country's throat.

Having lived through this sorry drama, I can now easily envisage a scenario when this same "civil society", full of all kinds of middle-class prejudices and personal agendas, could build a case against universal franchise and as part of their promised "electoral reforms", demand that the illiterate - or for that matter, slumdwellers or such other groups they dislike - be disenfranchised.

Lastly, I reserve my bile for the television channels - those vultures - which cheer-led the tamasha, egging on everybody towards the end, all the while wrapping their single-minded pursuit of better TRPs in the cloak of national interest. I sincerely hope Arnab Goswami that brainless hysterical hen chokes on his cocktail samosa and loses his voice forever.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:13 am

seven wrote:Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today Ca0a3481-544c-45a3-9284-e61050337304HiRes

behind the camera. that aunty in blue is my mami, wokay? she was told that this agitations would bring down the onion prices. hence all the enthusiasm.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:11 am

Another Brick wrote:she was told that this agitations would bring down the onion prices. hence all the enthusiasm.

lol!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:36 am

Another Brick wrote:
seven wrote:Hallelujah! It's a brand new India today Ca0a3481-544c-45a3-9284-e61050337304HiRes

behind the camera. that aunty in blue is my mami, wokay? she was told that this agitations would bring down the onion prices. hence all the enthusiasm.

unkil in dhoti & cross belt must be bricku
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:19 am

Maybe a first step to bring back lakhs of crores of rupees stashed away in swiss banks. Sonia, Rahul, Vadra and scores of other politicians and their cronies will probably be made accountable.

This is a step in the right direction.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:48 pm

Rekz wrote:
Another Brick wrote:

unkil in dhoti & cross belt ......

and all his "admirers" are women. Not a single guy around:Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
seven wrote:what's with all the sarcasm merlot ? aren't you happy India is headed in the right direction ? we have to give anna ji credit where its due. he did bring the entire nation together. nobody said India will be corruption free in a day...maybe too much of tv coverage bored u or sth lol

Oh I'm happy there's progress on setting up a strong ombudsman but living through two weeks of mindless jingoism took the shine off any positive outcome of the "second freedom struggle" as far as I'm concerned.
I was appalled at the ease with which a small motivated group hijacked the parliamentary process. I was sickened by how the so-called educated middle class in this country, which unfailingly derides the democratic process by pointing to illiterate or poor voters who vote in exchange for material benefits, showed that its own judgement is no better. Those candle-holding slogan shouters showed themselves to be completely incapable of of independent, critical thinking, flocking to do their bit for the country's "second freedom struggle" without bothering to even understand what Baburao was fasting for. Coming so soon after how a cross-dressing charlatan similarly gathered a crowd of thousands of people (and enjoyed the support of hundreds of thousands across India and elsewhere), it's scary to me that this small but highly vocal, highly visible cohort can be so easily seduced and manipulated by simplistic sloganeering and clever imagery invoking freedom struggle etc into aiding and abetting the forcing any piece of legislation down the country's throat.

Having lived through this sorry drama, I can now easily envisage a scenario when this same "civil society", full of all kinds of middle-class prejudices and personal agendas, could build a case against universal franchise and as part of their promised "electoral reforms", demand that the illiterate - or for that matter, slumdwellers or such other groups they dislike - be disenfranchised.

Lastly, I reserve my bile for the television channels - those vultures - which cheer-led the tamasha, egging on everybody towards the end, all the while wrapping their single-minded pursuit of better TRPs in the cloak of national interest. I sincerely hope Arnab Goswami that brainless hysterical hen chokes on his cocktail samosa and loses his voice forever.

you are just overwhelmed by the media coverage of the entire episode. you think most people who supported the movement don't know all about it but u will agree that they know that something is wrong and anna ji with civil society is fighting to make things right. they know something good is happening and they wana be a part of it.

it's not just any piece of legislation and its not everyday that something like this is forced down country's throat. it was possible this time bcz everyone feels enough's enough. well we can all hope to see some improvement in everyone's attitude towards curroption and trust the civil society to be fair for now. i can imagine how personal agendas and bias can affect it's performance but I still think it will be over all for everyone's good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:48 pm

hey seven, come on chat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:35 pm

wats ur id ? why on chat all of a sudden :-? all well ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:38 pm

I meant chat on such. Check out the chat box on the bottom of the main page.

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:52 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I was appalled at the ease with which a small motivated group hijacked the parliamentary process.

LOL! You have mentioned "parliamentary process" on other threads also in connection to this topic. Such statements would have sounded endearingly naive if made by the likes of shaven. Coming from you, it sounds merely stupid. How long has the Lokpal bill been stuck in the constipated parliamentary process again?

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I was sickened by how the so-called educated middle class in this country, which unfailingly derides the democratic process by pointing to illiterate or poor voters who vote in exchange for material benefits, showed that its own judgement is no better.

So, what would your better judgement say these people should have done to get the Lokpal bill passed? Or, to get something done to fight against the corruption in India. While I have serious doubts about the 'victory' that was achieved and really don't believe things are going to get significantly better any time soon, I have absolutely no problems with whatever actions people took based on their motivations and capabilities. For me, this is truly the case of something is better than nothing.

There are plenty of people like you who get all critical and intellectual on this issue. I am sure there were plenty of critics like you when the Indian freedom struggle was happening against the British. I heard that only about 7% of the Indian population actually participated in that struggle. I bet there were a larger majority of people like you who were horrified at all the inconveniences caused by those pesky tiny cohort fasting jokers under Mahatma Gandhi... oops pardon me, you would insist on using his REAL, LEGAL name, viz., Mohandas K Gandhi. I bet there were people who were as appalled as you at this half naked, dramatic old man who hijacked the process of the mighty British Empire. It is all too easy to figure out exactly what kinds of funny and sarcastic nouns and adjectives you would have used to describe the Indian freedom movement, if you had the chance. Fortunately for us, people like you did nothing more than hide behind your well-tailored shirts and scarves and muttered your criticisms, while the small minority of people who wanted to get something done, got something done.

It is easy to huff and puff and get all critical. Unfortunately, you won't have any credibility unless you follow-up your criticism with viable alternative ideas on what could be done. So far, I have seen plenty of criticism, but zero alternative ideas from the likes of you. While I have my own cynicism and misgivings about the Lokpal bill and corruption issue, at least I have the humility and decency to keep my mouth shut. When the need of the hour is assertive action, those who do nothing, not even speak up to offer alternative ideas, lose all rights to criticize the actions of those who DO do something, even if they are not the perfect actions.

Incidentally, I won't be surprised at all if this is another debate from which people like you slink away, hiding your tails between your legs.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:07 am

SomeProfile wrote:Incidentally, I won't be surprised at all if this is another debate from which people like you slink away, hiding your tails between your legs.

Haha..don't flatter yourself. This is no debate. So my opinions piss you off. I can't do anything about that. Learn to live with your agita (no, that's not another barrio babe).
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:13 pm

Another Brick wrote:

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

I trust this is an eternal fact.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down