Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taapsee Pannu: I have dated a South Indian but can never date a Sikh

+8
bw
Hellsangel
Obnoxious
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Propagandhi711
nevada
MaxEntropy_Man
Seva Lamberdar
12 posters

Go down

Taapsee Pannu: I have dated a South Indian but can never date a Sikh Empty Taapsee Pannu: I have dated a South Indian but can never date a Sikh

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:43 pm

I am a Jat Sikhni born and brought up in Delhi. 

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/Taapsee-Pannu-I-have-dated-a-South-Indian-but-can-never-date-a-Sikh/articleshow/45967663.cms
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Taapsee Pannu: I have dated a South Indian but can never date a Sikh Empty Re: Taapsee Pannu: I have dated a South Indian but can never date a Sikh

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:06 pm

her english is over the top so bloody northindian! almost like the well known parodies that we've read at sulekha and here. and from her writing and concerns she could be whitney ji's twin!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Taapsee Pannu: I have dated a South Indian but can never date a Sikh Empty Re: Taapsee Pannu: I have dated a South Indian but can never date a Sikh

Post by nevada Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:17 pm

From the article:
""So, I gave my CAT exam

Typical desi mistake. You either take a test or write an exam. You don't give an exam.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:her english is over the top so bloody northindian! almost like the well known parodies that we've read at sulekha and here. and from her writing and concerns she could be whitney ji's twin!

who does this remind me of? let me see, some inbred, slave owning ancestored, intolerant white southerner complaining about blacks and ebonics...yes that's it

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:her english is over the top so bloody northindian! almost like the well known parodies that we've read at sulekha and here. and from her writing and concerns she could be whitney ji's twin!

In my defense, I know the diff between give and take (of exams). I might still have made the mistakes. But if I am *thinking* while talking or writing, I don't make this mistake.

Writing style may be the same, but she no twin of mine. I am not bratty, revengeful, or for that matter, a go-getter. Never was. I loved talking about myself and made big claims in my 20s, but that's about it. Life has a way of slapping you down.

Also, the boat has sailed, but if I were to ever date again, would never date a south indian, *shudder*; or a Sikh, just like that. I have come to realize that my patience levels have gone down a lot, and I have been increasingly liking people of my own type now. That is Hindi speaking with roots in MP, Rajasthan, UP... maybe Bombay, Delhi, Punjab can be added, but with limitations. XH is primarily hindi speaking so he is fine, but I have no patience for the Marathi baggage that comes with it, and as long as they get it, it's good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:39 pm

Well, the Tamils were fortunate to have interactions with others (Marathas, Gults, Kannadigas, etc.) in the past. So, an educated Tamil appreciates the past and is easier to interact with. I am not surprised that this Kaur is comfortable with a Tamil fellow.

DKheads are a different breed though. They are ignorant of their real history. Hopefully, our Kaur won't waste her time with one of those!

Very Happy

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:02 pm

One of my punjabi friend swore never to marry a punjabi. She married a Tam Bram. I am dating an England born Australian bred guy. We don't seem to have a lot of cultural issues and get along great.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:26 pm

Obnoxious wrote:One of my punjabi friend swore never to marry a punjabi. She married a Tam Bram. I am dating an England born Australian bred guy. We don't seem to have a lot of cultural issues and get along great.

*Sevaji mode on*

Good on you.

*Sevaji mode off*
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:23 pm

couldn't read beyond the first paragraph - yap, yap, yap.

too self-absorbed and utterly boring.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:36 pm

Obnoxious wrote:One of my punjabi friend swore never to marry a punjabi. She married a Tam Bram. I am dating an England born Australian bred guy. We don't seem to have a lot of cultural issues and get along great.

that's good. guess my reasons stem from the fact that my own type won't look down on me for my cultural roots. others would try to have a chip on their shoulder, or constantly remind me of my background, and that sorta sours a relationship. Speaking from personal experience. Friendship and all is all right, coz you can be open-minded there. but being in a relationship, just hurts. Too many adjustments.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:13 pm

wtf does it have to be "my computer science" or "my CAT exam"? what's up with that?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:04 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

that's good. guess my reasons stem from the fact that my own type won't look down on me for my cultural roots. others would try to have a chip on their shoulder, or constantly remind me of my background, and that sorta sours a relationship. Speaking from personal experience. Friendship and all is all right, coz you can be open-minded there. but being in a relationship, just hurts. Too many adjustments.

Ok...ok..I get it... Stop dumping me repeatedly....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:41 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

>>.You mean T-dub had considered you at some point? Dream on, buddy..Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:43 am

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

>>.You mean T-dub had considered you at some point? Dream on, buddy..Smile
P.S. Who is Taapsee Pannu and what does she have against Sikhs?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:34 am

You guys from the South, especially KV and you, are always criticizing the NIs for not learning the SI languages (Tamil etc.) while they live and work in south India; and now when a girl from north India who already has learnt to use Tamil and Telugu while working in south India and acting in Tamil and Telugu movies, you are disparaging her use of the English language instead of giving her credit for learning Tamil and Telugu. What's wrong with you?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:36 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
You guys from the South, especially KV and you, are always criticizing the NIs for not learning the SI languages (Tamil etc.) while they live and work in south India; and now when a girl from north India who already has learnt to use Tamil and Telugu while working in south India and acting in Tamil and Telugu movies, you are disparaging her use of the English language instead of giving her credit for learning Tamil and Telugu. What's wrong with you?

Good question, Sevaji.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:20 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

lol... guess it was the repressed emotions from all these years against X in-laws.

Always felt like I was holding the banner of entire north india (or, hindi). XH's dad used to watch and discuss each habit of mine, disparagingly, as if whatever I did was a representation of all north Indians. XH's grandma was the opposite of this. She liked me more BECAUSE I was not a Marathi. Most of her association was with non marathis and she felt I will have better family value system than most contemporary Marathi girls. Point is, for good or bad, I was a representation of a region. Whatever happened to me as an individual? They didn't realize I was the abnormal one in my own family, so that was a big cross for me to bear. To give them credit, not all family members were divisive like that. But those who were, were mean.

Anyway, I was the first bahu in that family of my generation, hence was analyzed the most. Right from, 'how I am just average looking', to, 'how I am not learning marathi', to, 'how and what I eat, wear, listen, watch', to, 'how I am socializing', to raising my kids'... If I argued with airlines people because they were hoodwinking us, my Haryana roots came into play. Even if I went out shopping and brought clothes or other stuff for my mothers-in-law, I did it because I liked them and the thing I was picking for them... even that got contributed to how north Indians do this gift-giving-receiving business. Later, when they didn't get anything from any future bahu, Marathi or not, they missed my gestures. 

Guess since I was the first, I felt the most shocks, and gave them the most shocks.  But then, I also prepared them for bigger shocks that were to come (married) in the family. Anyway, all's good now. They treat me well and as 'myself as an individual'. But doesn't matter to me, coz I don't do things for them like I used to. Who can after such a turn off anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:29 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

lol... guess it was the repressed emotions from all these years against X in-laws.

Always felt like I was holding the banner of entire north india (or, hindi). XH's dad used to watch and discuss each habit of mine, disparagingly, as if whatever I did was a representation of all north Indians. XH's grandma was the opposite of this. She liked me more BECAUSE I was not a Marathi. Most of her association was with non marathis and she felt I will have better family value system than most contemporary Marathi girls. Point is, for good or bad, I was a representation of a region. Whatever happened to me as an individual? They didn't realize I was the abnormal one in my own family, so that was a big cross for me to bear. To give them credit, not all family members were divisive like that. But those who were, were mean.

Anyway, I was the first bahu in that family of my generation, hence was analyzed the most. Right from, 'how I am just average looking', to, 'how I am not learning marathi', to, 'how and what I eat, wear, listen, watch', to, 'how I am socializing', to raising my kids'... If I argued with airlines people because they were hoodwinking us, my Haryana roots came into play. Even if I went out shopping and brought clothes or other stuff for my mothers-in-law, I did it because I liked them and the thing I was picking for them... even that got contributed to how north Indians do this gift-giving-receiving business. Later, when they didn't get anything from any future bahu, Marathi or not, they missed my gestures. 

Guess since I was the first, I felt the most shocks, and gave them the most shocks.  But then, I also prepared them for bigger shocks that were to come (married) in the family. Anyway, all's good now. They treat me well and as 'myself as an indivisual'. But doesn't matter to me, coz I don't do things for them like I used to. Who can after such a turn off anyway.
>>>T-dub,

This sounds like an Indian soap opera.

P.S. The whole of North India thanks you for this representation. Smile
(Am I allowed to thank on behalf of North Indians?)

P.P.S. No need for all this rationalization for dumping the U man. This is not the first time has been dumped. Hahaha.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:32 am

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

Guess since I was the first, I felt the most shocks, and gave them the most shocks.  But then, I also prepared them for bigger shocks that were to come (married) in the family. Anyway, all's good now. They treat me well and as 'myself as an indivisual'. But doesn't matter to me, coz I don't do things for them like I used to. Who can after such a turn off anyway.
>>>T-dub,

This sounds like an Indian soap opera.

P.S. The whole of North India thanks you for this representation. Smile
(Am I allowed to thank on behalf of North Indians?)

P.P.S. No need for all this rationalization for dumping the U man. This is not the first time has been dumped. Hahaha.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:26 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Good question, Sevaji.
There are many people, perhaps even the well-known languages specialists (followers of the AIT mostly), who think that the south Indian ("Dravidian") languages are totally different (as having no relation) to the north Indian languages and therefore can't be learnt and comprehended by the north Indians easily. Naturally, the ordinary NIs (including this girl from Delhi) learning quickly several south Indian languages (Tamil and Telugu for example) shatters that decades old myth (the "inherent" difference between the languages spoken in south India and north India).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Good question, Sevaji.
There are many people, perhaps even the well-known languages specialists (followers of the AIT mostly), who think that the south Indian ("Dravidian") languages are totally different (as having no relation) to the north Indian languages and therefore can't be learnt and comprehended by the north Indians easily. Naturally, the ordinary NIs (including this girl from Delhi) learning quickly several south Indian languages (Tamil and Telugu for example) shatters that decades old myth (the "inherent" difference between the languages spoken in south India and north India).

You're amazing Sevaji.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:40 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Good question, Sevaji.
+1. I now feel bad about not commending her for learning Telugu and showing over eagerness to ridicule her English.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:48 pm

nevada wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Good question, Sevaji.
+1. I now feel bad about not commending her for learning Telugu and showing over eagerness to ridicule her English.

she looks like someone I know who is neither a northern indian or southern indian. just saying. my two cents.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
nevada wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Good question, Sevaji.

she looks like someone I know who is neither a northern indian or southern indian. just saying. my two cents.
You need to put more value on your statement -- two cents can't get you anything these days.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:01 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:
nevada wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Good question, Sevaji.

You need to put more value on your statement -- two cents can't get you anything these days.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:28 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Good question, Sevaji.

yes, seva made a good point.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:14 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Good question, Sevaji.

yes, seva made a good point.
Thanks PN, for the vote.....  really appreciate it.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down