Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kill chat?

+5
Rekz
charvaka
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Kayalvizhi
Hellsangel
9 posters

Go down

Kill Chat?

Kill chat? Vote_lcap50%Kill chat? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 13 ]
Kill chat? Vote_lcap50%Kill chat? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 26

Kill chat? Empty Kill chat?

Post by Hellsangel Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Please vote.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Kill chat? Empty Re: Kill chat?

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:28 pm

i dont care abt chat so much. and i dont need instant replies from nobody.

but i wudnt wana kill it either.

so can't vote unless u introduce a neutral button.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:05 pm

how do i accerss chat? was an earlier post said of some button in main page. I could not find it.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:16 pm

Post the URL

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:how do i accerss chat? was an earlier post said of some button in main page. I could not find it.

https://such.forumotion.com/chatbox/index.forum
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Yeah, kill it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:58 pm

What?! why?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:05 pm

it's no fun. kill it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:20 am

nutmeg wrote:What?! why?

Why not ? You never ever talk anyway. I asked your ASL the other day (8 years ago) and I am still waiting.... Kill chat? 82819051

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:42 am

but i talk all the time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:51 am

Don't kill it. I like it and it's fun. So what if forums don't get many as many posts. Why is that a bad thing? Which has something to do with the recent boring threads as well...

also, no high-post-volume-drama-threads recently.

how many of us can keep condemning, keep going on candle light vigils and eating only fruits, man?

PS: Shaven doesn't like chat because her dumbness is evident in realtime. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:53 am

omg 22 votes... the highest votes in such history I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:55 am

Also, HA - are you the moderator in Charvaka's absence or something?
BTW - where's Charvaka?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:55 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:omg 22 votes... the highest votes in such history I guess.

yeah, lets chat over it in the chatbox, tw! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:07 am

Richard Hed wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:omg 22 votes... the highest votes in such history I guess.

yeah, lets chat over it in the chatbox, tw! Smile

dk, no chats today... I was working 8 am - 7 pm on tuesday, and 9 am - 11 pm y'day.. I have no more intentions of pulling another all dayer... so am gonna sit here and growl at my code until it starts working....

but I will peek in and out occasionally to say my hellos and thank gods, and thank nice such'ers for reading my posts, etc. and to tell you how you make my day even though I have fb, twitter, what nots to peek into and waste my time on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:04 pm

chat is really deserted.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Wow. This is the highest vote turnout of all time on such. But the verdict is split. My own preference would be to kill the chat, but I'll leave it alone.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:48 am

Kill chat...Im bored
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:58 am

Rekz wrote:Kill chat...Im bored

you kidding me? It has just picked up.. to watch the titans tussle is priceless.

Am chatting with two english nazis, and both of them are too busy to correct my English.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. T Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Should i frequent it then ?

Mr. T

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:36 pm

I will not login to chat till the observers* introduce themselves silent .The chat is horribly slow most of the time.
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Chat almost got killed today. The assassins were Sublime and Hellangel. The time of the attempt: about 1:30 pm, EST. Sublime and Hellsangel would type lines of garbage and make the chat screen scroll so fast that no one could read anything.

I think a moderator/admin was present, but apparently, he or she watched indulgently, probably because he or she is close to Hellsangel or Sublime.

What I witnessed was an exhibition of utter incivility and childishness.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:20 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:I think a moderator/admin was present, but apparently, he or she watched indulgently, probably because he or she is close to Hellsangel or Sublime.
None of the users logged into chat have any special privileges. There is no moderation on this forum or chat, and that's how it will continue to be.

I would like for users to be able to ignore others on chat, like they can on the forums.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:32 pm

charvaka wrote:
Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:I think a moderator/admin was present, but apparently, he or she watched indulgently, probably because he or she is close to Hellsangel or Sublime.
None of the users logged into chat have any special privileges. There is no moderation on this forum or chat, and that's how it will continue to be.

I would like for users to be able to ignore others on chat, like they can on the forums.

charvaka, it's impossible to ignore others when those others make the screen scroll fast by typing in bushels of garbage. and it's worse when the admin, who i understand was present, indulges and encourages them. i too think that saying anything is okay, except effectively disabling and thus destroying a chat site or a forum.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:17 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
charvaka wrote:I would like for users to be able to ignore others on chat, like they can on the forums.

charvaka, it's impossible to ignore others when those others make the screen scroll fast by typing in bushels of garbage. and it's worse when the admin, who i understand was present, indulges and encourages them. i too think that saying anything is okay, except effectively disabling and thus destroying a chat site or a forum.
I am looking to add a feature by which you can choose to ignore anything posted by a specific user. If you do that, you would no longer see their messages. So if say HA is posting a lot of slashes to annoy you, you could choose to ignore HA, and you could continue chatting with other users. I don't yet know if I can implement this feature, but I am going to try.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:26 pm

charvaka wrote:
charvaka wrote:I would like for users to be able to ignore others on chat, like they can on the forums.

I am looking to add a feature by which you can choose to ignore anything posted by a specific user. If you do that, you would no longer see their messages. So if say HA is posting a lot of slashes to annoy you, you could choose to ignore HA, and you could continue chatting with other users. I don't yet know if I can implement this feature, but I am going to try.

Interesting, will that work in archives too? Like if I ignore BW the dot master, and log in the morning, I would be able to see all the CHAT before BW, where she didn't participate?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
charvaka wrote:

Interesting, will that work in archives too? Like if I ignore BW the dot master, and log in the morning, I would be able to see all the CHAT before BW, where she didn't participate?

C'mon, I am just a good dotter and like to help others out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:24 pm

On another note, a chat that supports the creation of separate rooms and PM facility will eliminate this dotting.

Dotting is done to clear the archives - either because something was said that folks did not want the world (= anonymous lurkers) to know or simply to irk the lurkers who log in every now and then to read the archives.

Kill chat and all will be well or just remove the archiving feature.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:53 pm

blabberwock wrote:

The 'archive' is a couple hundred lines anyway. If I go off to take a dump or get on a work call, I want to be able to get back a few minutes later and look at the 'archive' to see what I missed.

It will be nice to incorporate private messaging in the chat, so I can write sleazy messages for a particular CHaunty and not subject everyone in the room to my smut.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Saathiya Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:13 am

blabberwock wrote:On another note, a chat that supports the creation of separate rooms and PM facility will eliminate this dotting.

Dotting is done to clear the archives - either because something was said that folks did not want the world (= anonymous lurkers) to know or simply to irk the lurkers who log in every now and then to read the archives.

BW, why are you against us poor lurkers. We don't even say anything. All we want to do is get updated from time to time. Is that so bad?

Saathiya

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:43 am

wackerblob is too busy "dotting" and destroying chat to answer you.

moreover, she (and s'lime (an abbreviation of sublime) and hellsangel) will never reveal to you the real reason why they dot: to destroy any record of their clandestine activities, and thus avoid being caught chatting with strangers by their husbands, fathers, and lesbian lovers.

note to the uninitiated: "dotting" is charvaka's euphemism for typing in garbage characters - such as dots or periods - and purging the limited archival space of the chat record, so that there's no evidence of what was said.

dotting is essentially abusive because it makes the chat screen scroll rapidly, during which time, it's impossible to read or post anything. furthermore, the dotters make the incorrect assumption that the archive belongs to their uncivil selves, and deprive all others of a valuable resource.

charvaka uses an innocuous term such as "dotting" for chat abuse because the practitioners of archive deletion are female, and he believes that they deserve special, soft treatment.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:53 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:wackerblob is too busy "dotting" and destroying chat to answer you.

moreover, she (and s'lime (an abbreviation of sublime) and hellsangel) will never reveal to you the real reason why they dot: to destroy any record of their clandestine activities, and thus avoid being caught chatting with strangers by their husbands, fathers, and lesbian lovers.

note to the uninitiated: "dotting" is charvaka's euphemism for typing in garbage characters - such as dots or periods - and purging the limited archival space of the chat record, so that there's no evidence of what was said.

dotting is essentially abusive because it makes the chat screen scroll rapidly, during which time, it's impossible to read or post anything. furthermore, the dotters make the incorrect assumption that the archive belongs to their uncivil selves, and deprive all others of a valuable resource.

charvaka uses an innocuous term such as "dotting" for chat abuse because the practitioners of archive deletion are female, and he believes that they deserve special, soft treatment.

psst, did we ever figure out if hellsangel is a male or a female?.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:30 am

hahaha.

I am sorry, dear lurkers and note takers, that you are deprived by us evil folks of a ..err..."valuable" resource. We are like that only. Deal with it until chat gets more features.

The rest of the post was too boring and all too predictable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:45 am

Saathiya wrote:
blabberwock wrote:On another note, a chat that supports the creation of separate rooms and PM facility will eliminate this dotting.

BW, why are you against us poor lurkers. We don't even say anything. All we want to do is get updated from time to time. Is that so bad?

You aren't a lurker - we have spoken to each other, haven't we? It is just fun to deny the random handles logging in to read other people's conversation. I clean up when everyone is ready to leave chat just to irk these snoopers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Saathiya Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:47 am

BW, note-takers and lurkers are two different categories. Note-takers probably have an agenda. Lurkers are usually people who read and move on... some end up posting here if they like what they read, some just move on.

Saathiya

Back to top Go down

Post by Saathiya Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:53 am

I guess we were posting almost at the same time, I didn't see your post until I submitted mine. Yeah I guess I am not a lurker anymore.

I get what you say about cleaning up archives. People do dig up history here.. I have witnessed all that.

Saathiya

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:04 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:moreover, she (and s'lime (an abbreviation of sublime) and hellsangel) will never reveal to you the real reason why they dot: to destroy any record of their clandestine activities, and thus avoid being caught chatting with strangers by their husbands, fathers, and lesbian lovers.

wackerblob and s'lime are lesbians?? arre arre. do their husbands know?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down