Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

conversation between an IIT/IIM guy and a rickshaw puller

+2
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Bittu
6 posters

Go down

conversation between an IIT/IIM guy and a rickshaw puller Empty conversation between an IIT/IIM guy and a rickshaw puller

Post by Bittu Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Give this a quick read. Does it sound like a factual occurrence? I really don't think so but a couple of IIT types on my FB have posted this.

http://lafango.com/blog/skvaditya/39102-an-iitian-a-rikshawala

Bittu

Back to top Go down

conversation between an IIT/IIM guy and a rickshaw puller Empty Re: conversation between an IIT/IIM guy and a rickshaw puller

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:28 pm

I have a couple of classmates:

1. completed his MCOM at a very good institution and joined State Bank as an officer - then in 2 years quit and went back to driving his family's 2 autos... and moped workshop. He now owns a series of auto parts store, workshops, autos and also in politics hobnobbing with movie stars.

2. a BE and then MTech from IIT Kanpur and some years at a company - left took over his father's shop. He has 3 shops and supplies materials to the entire industry in the city; he and wife started another software company and wifey looking after that.

no one will guess these 2 dudes are educated. BTW, the second dude was an academic topper ALL the way and more.

So I believe the posted story.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

conversation between an IIT/IIM guy and a rickshaw puller Empty Re: conversation between an IIT/IIM guy and a rickshaw puller

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:42 pm

nice story, and full points to upps for understanding a hindi convo enough to believe it too. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:43 pm

Uppili, I think you get a kick out of contradicting others except that you often fall flat on your face.

Your friends came from families that could support their education and send them to IITs. After completion of their education they decided to join their dad's line of work. What's that got to do with a poor rickshaw puller who knows chemistry/physics like he wrote the books?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:07 pm

This story is completely believable if Uppili was pulling the rickshaw.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:15 pm

Bittu wrote:Uppili, I think you get a kick out of contradicting others except that you often fall flat on your face.

Your friends came from families that could support their education and send them to IITs. After completion of their education they decided to join their dad's line of work. What's that got to do with a poor rickshaw puller who knows chemistry/physics like he wrote the books?

I think Upps believed the part that the iit'ian forgot e'thing now... kinda sad, coz I still remember many formulaes from even middle school, which is not such a happy thing for my daughter when she comes asking me for school help. I am not at all forgiving of the fact that she doesn't rememeber formulaes and equations.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:01 am

Bittu wrote:Uppili, I think you get a kick out of contradicting others except that you often fall flat on your face.

what can I do. I just read the english sentences and conjured up the convo, and my response was to that.

If only you Naaarthiee (Jat) idiots had given a complete translation, I would have given a different set of stories...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:20 am

Does it sound like a factual occurrence? I really don't think so but a couple of IIT types on my FB have posted this.

>>>> Yeah, sounds like an urban legend of sorts.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:43 am

Kris wrote:Does it sound like a factual occurrence? I really don't think so but a couple of IIT types on my FB have posted this.

I still don't understand the complete story. I ASSUME that the issue is whether a rickshawala can be a real smart guy. This story may or may not be true.

But it is quite possible.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:11 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kris wrote:Does it sound like a factual occurrence? I really don't think so but a couple of IIT types on my FB have posted this.

I still don't understand the complete story. I ASSUME that the issue is whether a rickshawala can be a real smart guy. This story may or may not be true.

>>>> Anything is of course possible, but it would have been a more plausible scenario if it was a case of street smarts vs. book smarts being demonstrated by the rickshaw man. Also, sometimes the narrator wants to make a point and (maybe even subconsciously) adds to it. One of my childhood friends had a psychotic father. He would talk normally to you one-on-one, but also had a tendency to talk to himself rather loudly. Somewhere along the line, a rumor got started in our neighborhood that he really was a mad genius and solved complex problems during these self-talks. Lots of people bought into this (I think my dad may still think this is true), but I doubt any of them really listened to him closely. To the extent I remember his rantings, they were just that- rantings, but the story persisted. Sometimes, there is a feel- good/ consolation element to these things. Maybe in my friend's dad's case, his problem was more acceptable, if he was seen as a genius and not all was lost.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Not sure if one can conclude that Rickshawala was smarter, he just gave JEE test so naturally those answers were at his fingertips, doesn't make him superior to IIT/IIM grad. Another conclusion of this lafanga blog is engineers turned to management aren't faithful to their profession/line of work??

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:45 am

Bittu wrote: http://lafango.com/blog/skvaditya/39102-an-iitian-a-rikshawala

Sentimental pure hogwash. After completing 4 years of IIT and 2 years of MBA nobody can remember what the answers are for JEE questions. The MBA won't even pass JEE if he takes it again. Well if Rickshaw walla is smart? Who knows? He knew a couple of answers and it does not automatically mean he knew everything. BTW chemical engineering is not about CHEMISTRY. If it were about Chemistry, nobody would make another branch of engineering out of it.

And why on earth should you remember Newton's laws? Engineer is correct in saying Newton's law "WAS" about.... It "WAS" becuase he read it sometime ago. For him it "WAS", but for the the rickshawpuller it "IS."

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:16 am

oh come on, how can anyne ever forget newton's laws of motion?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:54 am

Newton who?

Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:01 am

The Absolute Zero wrote:
Bittu wrote: http://lafango.com/blog/skvaditya/39102-an-iitian-a-rikshawala

Sentimental pure hogwash. After completing 4 years of IIT and 2 years of MBA nobody can remember what the answers are for JEE questions. The MBA won't even pass JEE if he takes it again. Well if Rickshaw walla is smart? Who knows? He knew a couple of answers and it does not automatically mean he knew everything. BTW chemical engineering is not about CHEMISTRY. If it were about Chemistry, nobody would make another branch of engineering out of it.

And why on earth should you remember Newton's laws? Engineer is correct in saying Newton's law "WAS" about.... It "WAS" becuase he read it sometime ago. For him it "WAS", but for the the rickshawpuller it "IS."

Frankly, I agree with everything TAZ-miyan said above!

Also think it's a publicity stunt by those IIT to IIM guys who want to show their "humble" side by writing blogs, comments and then posting it on FB. From my personal experience, that subset of Corporate Indian workforce loves to humble-brag about themselves Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:18 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:oh come on, how can anyne ever forget newton's laws of motion?

MBA did not forget it Tracey. He did say f=ma. And thats all you need to remember. None needs to remember the exact statement. BTW Eienstein kept saying that the Newton's laws are the basic rules of thumb we stand so we cannot progress further. They are applicable to some extent and once you are out in the space, trash them up or you will progress nowhere, no disrespect to Newton but they are no "universal."

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:20 am

The Absolute Zero wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:oh come on, how can anyne ever forget newton's laws of motion?

MBA did not forget it Tracey. He did say f=ma.

Somehow hearing this always makes me Laughing
mind in gutterAN - not good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:47 am

Richard Hed wrote:
The Absolute Zero wrote:

MBA did not forget it Tracey. He did say f=ma.

Somehow hearing this always makes me Laughing
mind in gutterAN - not good.

scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:02 pm

Kris wrote:Newton who?

Smile

Exactly, and how do you apply those laws in a power point presentation Smile

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down