Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Indians and Sanskrit

Go down

South Indians and Sanskrit Empty South Indians and Sanskrit

Post by Guest Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:55 am

for a long time i thought that the best scholars of sanskrit were from Uttar Pradesh, particularly Benaras (also known as Kashi, also known as Varanasi). i was under the impression that the south indian scholars of sanskrit must be inferior at least with respect to the sanskrit pronunciation since their mother tongues would be some dravidian language and this would affect their pronunciation of sanskrit sounds whereas a sanskrit scholar whose first language is hindi should have a more authentic pronunciation since hindi sounds follow the rules of pronunciation in sanskrit. the namboodari brahmins of kerala take great pride in their sanskrit pronunciation but i am given to understand that the way they pronounce sanskrit words (particularly when chanting in sanskrit) has a peculiar nasal intonation.

i was a little taken aback therefore to hear that many if not most sanskrit scholars living and working in Benaras as of today are South Indians.

Back to top Go down

South Indians and Sanskrit Empty Re: South Indians and Sanskrit

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:01 am

Rashmun wrote:for a long time i thought that the best scholars of sanskrit were from Uttar Pradesh, particularly Benaras (also known as Kashi, also known as Varanasi). i was under the impression that the south indian scholars of sanskrit must be inferior at least with respect to the sanskrit pronunciation since their mother tongues would be some dravidian language and this would affect their pronunciation of sanskrit sounds whereas a sanskrit scholar whose first language is hindi should have a more authentic pronunciation since hindi sounds follow the rules of pronunciation in sanskrit. the namboodari brahmins of kerala take great pride in their sanskrit pronunciation but i am given to understand that the way they pronounce sanskrit words (particularly when chanting in sanskrit) has a peculiar nasal intonation.

i was a little taken aback therefore to hear that many if not most sanskrit scholars living and working in Benaras as of today are South Indians.
Sanskrit is an NI language? Shocked First of all, those first language Hindi folks should learn to pronounce Rama & Krishna properly, that will be a good start.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:08 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Rashmun wrote:for a long time i thought that the best scholars of sanskrit were from Uttar Pradesh, particularly Benaras (also known as Kashi, also known as Varanasi). i was under the impression that the south indian scholars of sanskrit must be inferior at least with respect to the sanskrit pronunciation since their mother tongues would be some dravidian language and this would affect their pronunciation of sanskrit sounds whereas a sanskrit scholar whose first language is hindi should have a more authentic pronunciation since hindi sounds follow the rules of pronunciation in sanskrit. the namboodari brahmins of kerala take great pride in their sanskrit pronunciation but i am given to understand that the way they pronounce sanskrit words (particularly when chanting in sanskrit) has a peculiar nasal intonation.

Sanskrit is an NI language? Shocked First of all, those first language Hindi folks should learn to pronounce Rama & Krishna properly, that will be a good start.

absolutely. the first sanskrit texts were the Vedas and these were all composed in north india.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down