Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India and Tamil Nadu at each others throat

3 posters

Go down

India and Tamil Nadu at each others throat Empty India and Tamil Nadu at each others throat

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:51 pm

http://www.tamiltribune.com/india/index.html

Tamil Nadu is unique among the states of India. It is the southern-most state of India. There was an independence movement in Tamil Nadu before the British rulers left, and in fact, its independence demand precedes that of Pakistan. Although this movement had softened in the past few decades, there is still a hardcore underground independence movement still active and alive (click here for more information). Although there is opposition to Hindi imposition in most southern and northeastern states, opposition in Tamil Nadu is very intense and sometimes violent (click here for more information). India's support for the Sri Lankan government during the war between Sri Lankan military and minority Tamils of Sri Lanka created much discontent with the Indian government and demonstrations in Tamil Nadu in the first decade of the 21st century. There was even a threat of all members of parliament from Tamilnadu resigning. An emergency meeting of a senior Indian government minister with the Tamilnadu chief minister prevented the resignations. (click here for more information). Another issue of discontent and irritation is the Sri Lankan navy attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen in the seas. (click here for more information). Tamil Nadu also feels that the Indian government's economic policies are discriminatory against them (click here for more information).

In this page we list articles that do not fall under the above categories (click on the sub-category of interest).

Anchor Article

Democracy in India

Discriminatory Political Structure

Hindi-North Centered Perspective

Defense and Military Policies

Anti-Hindi Feelings

The Great North-South Divide

Independence Movements

http://www.tamiltribune.com/india/index.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

India and Tamil Nadu at each others throat Empty Re: India and Tamil Nadu at each others throat

Post by artood2 Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:http://www.tamiltribune.com/india/index.html

Tamil Nadu is unique among the states of India. It is the southern-most state of India. There was an independence movement in Tamil Nadu before the British rulers left, and in fact, its independence demand precedes that of Pakistan. Although this movement had softened in the past few decades, there is still a hardcore underground independence movement still active and alive (click here for more information). Although there is opposition to Hindi imposition in most southern and northeastern states, opposition in Tamil Nadu is very intense and sometimes violent (click here for more information). India's support for the Sri Lankan government during the war between Sri Lankan military and minority Tamils of Sri Lanka created much discontent with the Indian government and demonstrations in Tamil Nadu in the first decade of the 21st century. There was even a threat of all members of parliament from Tamilnadu resigning. An emergency meeting of a senior Indian government minister with the Tamilnadu chief minister prevented the resignations. (click here for more information). Another issue of discontent and irritation is the Sri Lankan navy attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen in the seas. (click here for more information). Tamil Nadu also feels that the Indian government's economic policies are discriminatory against them (click here for more information).

In this page we list articles that do not fall under the above categories (click on the sub-category of interest).

Anchor Article

Democracy in India

Discriminatory Political Structure

Hindi-North Centered Perspective

Defense and Military Policies

Anti-Hindi Feelings

The Great North-South Divide

Independence Movements

[url=http://www.tamiltribune.com/india/index.html
http://www.tamiltribune.com/india/index.html[/quote[/url]]

I am planning to visit Chennai and Coimbatore in December. Can you please recommend some good North Indian restaurants there? TIA.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

India and Tamil Nadu at each others throat Empty Re: India and Tamil Nadu at each others throat

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Go to Karunanidhi or Chidamparam's house. They will have plenty of NI food.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Go to Karunanidhi or Chidamparam's house. They will have plenty of NI food.

Do you know what are the charges like?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:02 pm

artood2 wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:Go to Karunanidhi or Chidamparam's house. They will have plenty of NI food.

R2, don't be a bully!

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:41 pm

blabberwock wrote:
artood2 wrote:

R2, don't be a bully!

It was a genuine question designed to shore up tourism revenue. Why is that bullying?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:52 pm

artood2 wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
artood2 wrote:

R2, don't be a bully!

It was a genuine question designed to shore up tourism revenue. Why is that bullying?

Don't hide behind rhetoric, R2.

Anyway, the idea of touring new places is to soak up the local culture - check out kanchivaram idlis and venn pongal instead, will ya?

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:56 pm

Rhetoric, where? Imposing ones idea of of tourism on others is bullying Smile

How are Kanchivaram idlis and vennpongal different from say idlis and pongal?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:05 pm

artood2 wrote:Rhetoric, where? Imposing ones idea of of tourism on others is bullying Smile

How are Kanchivaram idlis and vennpongal different from say idlis and pongal?

Impose? Where? Why, look up McD and Pizza Hut as well.

Kachivaram idlis are idlis adulterated with some spices. It is a wannabe dhokla. The method of preparation is also slightly different. I tasted them for the first time yesterday.

Venn Pongal and Pongal are the same. "Venn" means white in this context, I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:10 pm

Oh I am going to use Pizza hut at Thyagaraya Road, Chennai and McD in 2nd Avenue, annanagar Very Happy

I guess you forgot to soak in Kanchivaram idlis in all those Chennai visits earlier! For some reason I think I have had the Kanchivaram idlis.

so that venn diagram was just to confuse me!!
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:20 pm

If this is what you are talking about,

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2009/01/10/stories/2009011052760500.htm

I have had it plenty of times.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:21 pm

artood2 wrote:Oh I am going to use Pizza hut at Thyagaraya Road, Chennai and McD in 2nd Avenue, annanagar Very Happy

I guess you forgot to soak in Kanchivaram idlis in all those Chennai visits earlier! For some reason I think I have had the Kanchivaram idlis.

so that venn diagram was just to confuse me!!

I am not a tourist in Chennai, silly. But yes, I've never had this version of idlis before. I don't think I've missed much either and I still prefer the plain, simple idlis.

You may want to try some authentic south indian dishes like Manchurian Dosai/Paneer Dosai as well. Do keep us updated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:22 pm

artood2 wrote:If this is what you are talking about,

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2009/01/10/stories/2009011052760500.htm

I have had it plenty of times.

Yes, that's the one.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:24 pm

"silly"? smacks of bullying.

If it is what I posted, I prefer simple idlis over it (Wonder why you recommended THAT to me!). I have had Paneer dosai, yet to see a Manchuiran dosai but will keep an eye on it.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:45 pm

artood2 wrote:"silly"? smacks of bullying.

Right! You know all about bullying, don't you?

artood2 wrote:If it is what I posted, I prefer simple idlis over it (Wonder why you recommended THAT to me!). I have had Paneer dosai, yet to see a Manchuiran dosai but will keep an eye on it.

Why should I assume that you have the same taste as me? That's being arrogant. Just threw in the first couple of dishes that came to mind. Don't look for ulterior motives.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:03 pm

blabberwock wrote:
artood2 wrote:"silly"? smacks of bullying.

Right! You know all about bullying, don't you?

artood2 wrote:If it is what I posted, I prefer simple idlis over it (Wonder why you recommended THAT to me!). I have had Paneer dosai, yet to see a Manchuiran dosai but will keep an eye on it.

Why should I assume that you have the same taste as me? That's being arrogant. Just threw in the first couple of dishes that came to mind. Don't look for ulterior motives.

If you are recommending something local that allows someone to "soak" in the local cuisine then you are surely not going to recommend something that you tasted once (and hence is not a reflection of local culture) and that you did not like. there is definitely an ulterior motive involved here.

KV, you should pursue this case as a blantant ploy to give bad name to the excellent cuisine of the republic.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:10 pm

artood2 wrote:then you are surely not going to recommend something that you tasted once (and hence is not a reflection of local culture) and that you did not like.

How did you arrive at that highlighted conclusion?

Why should only what I have tasted and liked be the true reflection of the local culture?

Duh! time for the droid?

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:16 pm

blabberwock wrote:
artood2 wrote:then you are surely not going to recommend something that you tasted once (and hence is not a reflection of local culture) and that you did not like.

Why should only what I have tasted and liked be the true reflection of the local culture?

Duh! time for the droid?

Whatever you have tested once on your life (as a local) is definitely not a primary feature that allows a tourist to "soak" in the culture. Unless, of course, you are a traitor.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:31 pm

artood2 wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

Duh! time for the droid?

Whatever you have tested once on your life (as a local) is definitely not a primary feature that allows a tourist to "soak" in the culture. Unless, of course, you are a traitor.

Your logic is erroneous.

I have not watched more than a couple of bharatanatyam recitals and in fact, find it utterly boring. Does this mean that BN is not part of TN culture and I shouldn't be recommending it to someone wanting to soak in the local culture?

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:36 pm

blabberwock wrote:I have not watched more than a couple of bharatanatyam recitals and in fact, find it utterly boring.

This thread shout officially be renamed "BW and R2 at each others throats".

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:48 am

blabberwock wrote:
artood2 wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

Duh! time for the droid?

Your logic is erroneous.

I have not watched more than a couple of bharatanatyam recitals and in fact, find it utterly boring. Does this mean that BN is not part of TN culture and I shouldn't be recommending it to someone wanting to soak in the local culture?

when did you see your first BN recital? Anyways that confirms the traitor status.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down