Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for all the madrasis here

3 posters

Go down

for all the madrasis here Empty for all the madrasis here

Post by Guest Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:25 pm

http://www.storypick.com/madras-then-vs-now/

Back to top Go down

for all the madrasis here Empty Re: for all the madrasis here

Post by swapna Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:03 pm

on photograph 1, the statue of thomas munro:

a small but critical part of the statue is, and has always been missing. I know that to be true from seeing the statue, not from this photograph.

question: what is that missing part?

note: an apocryphal story has it that the sculptor - I don't know his name - who accidentally omitted that part, killed himself when the omission was pointed put to him.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:18 pm

swapna wrote:on photograph 1, the statue of thomas munro:

a small but critical part of the statue is, and has always been missing. I know that to be true from seeing the statue, not from this photograph.

note: an apocryphal story has it that the sculptor - I don't know his name - who accidentally omitted that part, killed himself when the omission was pointed put to him.
correction: "pointed out" not "pointed put."

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:53 pm

swapna wrote:on photograph 1, the statue of thomas munro:

.....Nice story here. Stirrups missing?...The sculptor name is Chantrey...

Needless to say...I did not use Google...or Wiki...or any net source..Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:47 pm

Today's Gooty and the Fort, where Munro died. I am sure he would be very PROUD of this place.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:40 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Today's Gooty and the Fort, where Munro died. I am sure he would be very PROUD of this place.
The ancestors of my paternal grandmother hail from there.

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:57 am

a 2010 article that appeared in The Hindu, on thomas munro:

m.thehindu.com/features/magazine/unsung-hero-of-madras/article534676.ece

he was not the conventional colonial administrator.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:24 am

swapna wrote:a 2010 article that appeared in The Hindu, on thomas munro:

I dont like replacing English names with Indian names - who are hardly recognizable by most Madrasis (Indians). All these names give a sense of the city history and into its past. Replacing the names cuts off that link.

There are numerous new developments, bridges, flyovers that can be named after numerous post-independent personalities (Instead of naming every structure after Anna, RG, Indira, and MK/JJ in the future.)

In any case, even the new generations still call these renamed roads by old names. Still most call Mount Road, Beach Road, Cathedral, Pycroft, Eldams, Coats, White town, Georgetown and Black town

P.S. Lord Rippon in the early 20th century is another such revered British personlity - wonder when Rippon building (Madras Corporation/council location) will be renamed. Perhaps, waiting for MK to croak.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:20 pm

I dont like replacing English names with Indian names - who are hardly recognizable by most Madrasis (Indians). All these names give a sense of the city history and into its past. Replacing the names cuts off that link.

There are numerous new developments, bridges, flyovers that can be named after numerous post-independent personalities (Instead of naming every structure after Anna, RG, Indira, and MK/JJ in the future.)

In any case, even the new generations still call these renamed roads by old names. Still most call Mount Road, Beach Road, Cathedral, Pycroft, Eldams, Coats, White town, Georgetown and Black town

P.S. Lord Rippon in the early 20th century is another such revered British personlity - wonder when Rippon building (Madras Corporation/council location) will be renamed.  Perhaps, waiting for MK to croak.

actually, you seem to belong to a small minority that appears, not necessarily to revel but continue to muse about the colonial past through association with these names, statues, buildings etc., while the majority attempts to erase the haunting memories and that part of the history.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:05 pm

garam_kuta wrote:

P.S. Lord Rippon in the early 20th century is another such revered British personlity - wonder when Rippon building (Madras Corporation/council location) will be renamed.  Perhaps, waiting for MK to croak.

actually, you seem to belong to a small minority that appears, not necessarily to revel but continue to muse about the colonial past through association with these names, statues, buildings etc., while the majority attempts to erase the haunting memories and that part of the history.

Of course...smart, sensible, and straightforward people always form a small minority.

How many madrasis know the history of the replaced "names?"

I am not saying not to name after Indian super stalwarts. We dont have enough and that is why ppl keep using the same half-dozen names over and over. Unfortunately, caste also comes into play - so no more colonies named after Rajaji, Satyamurthy, etc.

If names like Munro and Rippon are replaced - then the Tamils should not claim to be grateful and open-minded people. These are guys who spent almost their entire adult life serving Indian and Indian people without indulging in killing or opposing Indians. After all, these guys served India even before the Independence movement.

BTW, how many people - you think - know the names of the founders of Congress. More people will say Gandhi or Sonia Gandhi than identifying the real founders. Should we also drop the name of Anne Besant? Why do we still have Besant Nagar ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down