Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

css profile

+5
garam_kuta
Kris
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
garam-kuta
MaxEntropy_Man
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

css profile Empty css profile

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:42 pm

these profiles are so bloody intrusive and ask for deeply personal financial info! hate it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

css profile Empty Re: css profile

Post by Guest Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:59 pm

just about the start the process

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:25 pm

you have a definite advantage because you are divorced. i am screwed. this process rewards those who have been a combination of one or more of the following: profligate, divorced, uneducated, poor, unemployed, homeless, and generally reckless with money. the more you can check off on that list, the better you are.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:49 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:you have a definite advantage because you are divorced. i am screwed. this process rewards those who have been a combination of one or more of the following: profligate, divorced, uneducated, poor, unemployed, homeless, and generally reckless with money. the more you can check off on that list, the better you are.
in other words, democratic party base. I thought that you loved them <3

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:56 pm

Veeu wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:you have a definite advantage because you are divorced. i am screwed. this process rewards those who have been a combination of one or more of the following: profligate, divorced, uneducated, poor, unemployed, homeless, and generally reckless with money. the more you can check off on that list, the better you are.
in other words, democratic party base. I thought that you loved them <3

nope slack-jawed, clueless southern republithugs who don't know they are voting against their self-interest. they have the most to gain from filling out this profile.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:32 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:these profiles are so bloody intrusive and ask for deeply personal financial info! hate it.

Hahaha......

Why are you filling it ? Thought you were still 2, 3 years away?...

I did not find this a big problem - but that was decades ago. All you need to do is to simply be as truthful as you have been on SuCH profile.

Hint: If you are making > 150 K, dont give a shyt for this CSS profile. Your kid(s) aint getting any break anyway. The worst case scenario is your kids loans will be denied. just the adj gross income should be correct along with whatever you claimed as your capital gains, etc. House, its value, your palace in India, gold, etc... dont bother. It ain't an Al Capone case that they will come after you.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:07 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:these profiles are so bloody intrusive and ask for deeply personal financial info! hate it.

Hahaha......

I did not find this a big problem - but that was decades ago. All you need to do is to simply be as truthful as you have been on SuCH profile.

Hint: If you are making > 150 K, dont give a shyt for this CSS profile. Your kid(s) aint getting any break anyway. The worst case scenario is your kids loans will be denied.  just the adj gross income should be correct along with whatever you claimed as your capital gains, etc.  House, its value, your palace in India, gold, etc... dont bother. It ain't an Al Capone case that they will come after you.
>>> I doubt any professionals qualify. I am telling my younger guy to go to junior college first and sign an agreement with a UC, which many of the UC campuses allow.Of course, that gives him some time to explore other choices as well. I am not holding my breath over any merit scholarships, but if it was up to him he will jump into some line of business right now.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:10 pm

what is a junior college?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:11 pm

Kris wrote:

Hahaha......

Hint: If you are making > 150 K, dont give a shyt for this CSS profile. Your kid(s) aint getting any break anyway. The worst case scenario is your kids loans will be denied.  just the adj gross income should be correct along with whatever you claimed as your capital gains, etc.  House, its value, your palace in India, gold, etc... dont bother. It ain't an Al Capone case that they will come after you.
>>> I doubt any professionals qualify. I am telling my younger guy to go to junior college first and sign an agreement with a UC, which many of the UC campuses allow.Of course, that gives him some time to explore other choices as well. I am not holding my breath over any merit scholarships, but if it was up to him he will jump into some line of business right now.

Avoid Community colleges - if he has long term objectives and high goals. Don't get carried away by a handful of successful community college wenters. Statistically, he will be at a disadvantage - that too being a Desi.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:13 pm

what is a community college wenter? is a junior college the same as a community college?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:53 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:what is a junior college?
>>Same as a Community College- where you can knock out up to 70 semester units, including general ed and first two years of major requirements. It is at a maybe 25% of the cost of a 4 year school.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:00 pm

Kris wrote:

Hahaha......

Avoid Community colleges - if he has long term objectives and high goals. Don't get carried away by a handful of successful community college wenters.  Statistically, he will be at a disadvantage - that too being a Desi.
>>There are some very solid success stories among the local community colleges. One option is also concurrently taking classes at a jc while enrolled in a university. The kids also can enroll concurrently while in high school. My first guy did one year's worth of college while in high school. When you do the concurrent enrollment while in high school, you don't pay anything. The second guy has been doing it for the past year. The added bonus is that it is looked at by many Universities  like they are AP courses. Less intense, no fee and college credit.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Kris wrote:
Kris wrote:

Hahaha......

Avoid Community colleges - if he has long term objectives and high goals. Don't get carried away by a handful of successful community college wenters.  Statistically, he will be at a disadvantage - that too being a Desi.
>>There are some very solid success stories among the local community colleges. One option is also concurrently taking classes at a jc while enrolled in a university. The kids also can enroll concurrently while in high school. My first guy did one year's worth of college while in high school. When you do the concurrent enrollment while in high school, you don't pay anything. The second guy has been doing it for the past year. The added bonus is that it is looked at by many Universities  like they are AP courses. Less intense, no fee and college credit.

Here is my million $ question:

Desis in california in their 40s are known to earn salaries upwards of 200K (minimum). Add to that the LOW tuition in Universities, why aare you talking about low tuition, free tuition, etc..etc...  Utterly confusing. If a mid-40s Desi cannot afford a state university in California it is shocking to me. What is the point of even coming to the land of milk and honey and count $ when middle class desis in India are sending their kids to Berkeley and Carniegie Mellon for UG education.

I am flummoxed.

If you son is going to be an engineer and not planning to go further for a MS or MBA at a top 25 school, then community college credits are fine. Otherwise just stay away. That is all I can say.

P.S. Max.. Wenters is past tense for (Community college) goers

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:17 pm

It IS shocking to see the number of my IIT classmates and seniors living in India who have chosen to send their kids to the UCs and the Purdues of the world paying full tuition. How expensive can in-state tuition at the UCs be? UCs are not on our radar so I haven't even bothered checking. My BIL advises everyone to stay away from the flagship (UCB) because of how insanely crowded classes are and the wait times to get into freshman and sophomore level classes. Davis is much better in that sense.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:22 pm

my tragedy -- we have a perfectly good state school with low tuition and all kinds of options. kid won't even give it a second glance.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:27 pm

Kris wrote:
Kris wrote:

Hahaha......

Here is my million $ question:

Desis in california in their 40s are known to earn salaries upwards of 200K (minimum). Add to that the LOW tuition in Universities, why aare you talking about low tuition, free tuition, etc..etc...  Utterly confusing. If a mid-40s Desi cannot afford a state university in California it is shocking to me. What is the point of even coming to the land of milk and honey and count $ when middle class desis in India are sending their kids to Berkeley and Carniegie Mellon for UG education.

I am flummoxed.

If you son is going to be an engineer and not planning to go further for a MS or MBA at a top 25 school, then community college credits are fine.  Otherwise just stay away. That is all I can say.

P.S. Max.. Wenters is past tense for (Community college) goers
>>>I agree California does have a good deal compared to many other places, but I don't know if you have heard this. It is precisely because of that (the fees being low for in-state students), they have opened their doors to out-of-state and foreign students so they boost their revenues. That translates to more competition. Berkeley's Haas Business School is pretty much a non-starter unless you can walk on water. However, you have a shot at it after junior college. Many of the other state schools allow you to sign an agreement once you have completed 30 units ( I think) that guarantees you admission if you maintain a certain GPA till you hit 60 units or some such thing. Berkeley and UCLA don't participate as far as I know, but that doesn't mean you can't transfer there. Neither of them seem to think academic achievement and degrees are important, but are going along to please us. I am trying to get them to knock out a couple of degrees while they are still in that pleasing mode. UCB is a very, very long shot even after jc, but hope is a good thing, assuming there is interest on his part.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:34 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:It IS shocking to see the number of my IIT classmates and seniors living in India who have chosen to send their kids to the UCs and the Purdues of the world paying full tuition.  How expensive can in-state tuition at the UCs be? UCs are not on our radar so I haven't even bothered checking. My BIL advises everyone to stay away from the flagship (UCB) because of how insanely crowded classes are and the wait times to get into freshman and sophomore level classes. Davis is much better in that sense.

Berkeley has other downsides. Of course, info on those will involve consulting charges. UCLA is equally or more difficult to get in. But, there are scores of great universities - UCSD, Davis, Riverside, and even Modesto, not to mention several Cal States and Cal polys. Cali, Texas, NY in-state tuition are almost rock bottom.

I agree... Berkeleys and Carnegies - and almost all schools are admitting a certain % for quite well qualified Desi kids as international students charging them full 40K tuition (while REJECTING carte Blanche California Desi kids due to quota). There is some quota-related arithmetic is going on here. Indian banks give student loans just based on I-20 - bcz most desis and parents know the student loans are EASILY defaulted. India's student loan defaults are a huge %).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:It IS shocking to see the number of my IIT classmates and seniors living in India who have chosen to send their kids to the UCs and the Purdues of the world paying full tuition.  How expensive can in-state tuition at the UCs be? UCs are not on our radar so I haven't even bothered checking. My BIL advises everyone to stay away from the flagship (UCB) because of how insanely crowded classes are and the wait times to get into freshman and sophomore level classes. Davis is much better in that sense.
>>>UCB is a nightmare assuming you get in. It is super competitive and crowded. Davis is a better option. Santa Cruz is not bad either, depending on the subject. The in-state tuition + housing probably run 40 to 45 a year at all of them ( I am guessing, haven't checked lately). I recently met an Indian guy who moved his son to a junior college in the Bay Area to finish up the first couple of years at a junior college, with the idea of transferring to a UC after that. There may also be the angle of establishing state residency within that time frame.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:40 pm

Berkeley has other downsides. Of course, info on those will involve consulting charges. UCLA is equally or more difficult to get in. But, there are scores of great universities - UCSD, Davis, Riverside, and even Modesto, not to mention several Cal States and Cal polys. Cali, Texas, NY in-state tuition are almost rock bottom.

I agree... Berkeleys and Carnegies - and almost all schools are admitting a certain % for quite well qualified Desi kids as international students charging them full 40K tuition (while REJECTING carte Blanche California Desi kids due to quota).  There is some quota-related arithmetic is going on here.  Indian banks give student loans just based on I-20 - bcz most desis and parents know the student loans are EASILY defaulted. India's student loan defaults are a huge %).  
>>>I think you mean Merced, which is not far from Modesto. Easy to get into and they are trying to build the quality up. It is one of the newest UCs. Riverside is equally easy to get into, but you have to live in Riverside. The air will kill you. Cal Poly- SLO is excellent if you are in the engineering disciplines. UCSD =tops in the bio sciences from what I have heard.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:44 pm

I don't need to consult anyone other than my BIL if I was seriously considering the UC system. He has successfully navigated that in the recent past and knows all the ins and outs of the system. His favorite campus is Davis.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:49 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:I don't need to consult anyone other than my BIL if I was seriously considering the UC system. He has successfully navigated that in the recent past and knows all the ins and outs of the system.  His favorite campus is Davis.

Oh..if you are from outside Cali, it is easier to get into Berkeley or UCLA than being a californian - just a little bit easier. That is fairly easy.

Beyond that is where the fun lies.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:51 pm

Kris wrote:

I agree... Berkeleys and Carnegies - and almost all schools are admitting a certain % for quite well qualified Desi kids as international students charging them full 40K tuition (while REJECTING carte Blanche California Desi kids due to quota).  There is some quota-related arithmetic is going on here.  Indian banks give student loans just based on I-20 - bcz most desis and parents know the student loans are EASILY defaulted. India's student loan defaults are a huge %).  
>>>I think you mean Merced, which is not far from Modesto. Easy to get into and they are trying to build the quality up. It is one of the newest UCs. Riverside is equally easy to get into, but you have to live in Riverside. The air will kill you. Cal Poly- SLO is excellent if you are in the engineering disciplines. UCSD =tops in the bio sciences from what I have heard.
>>On the State schools, the fees run a good 10k lower (in-state), even Cal Poly.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:52 pm

why go to UC when there is a good enough state school option here? but she'll barely consider that as a safety school. very keen on staying local. that puts all kinds of competitive pressures. let's see what happens.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:56 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:I don't need to consult anyone other than my BIL if I was seriously considering the UC system. He has successfully navigated that in the recent past and knows all the ins and outs of the system.  His favorite campus is Davis.

Oh..if you are from outside Cali, it is easier to get into Berkeley or UCLA than being a californian - just a little bit easier. That is fairly easy.

Beyond that is where the fun lies.
>>>Some of the kids I know have chosen UCSD over Berkeley, which surprised me at that time, but based on what I have been hearing about UCB I guess it makes sense.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:38 pm

a question to the wise people of such.
if your kid is academically exceptional with perfect SAT score, GPA and great extracurriculars so that she can get into any university, but she cannot get any scholarship or aid at the ivies because of parents income and as max said the process rewards the profligate,irresponsible parents.so she is expected to dole out upwards of 140k for the ivy education.
she will probably be  offered full ride at some universities which are in the top 75 but not the prestige of the ivies. what should she choose considering that the success of the ivy alumni is more because of student quality and networking rather than any value addition by the ivies.
i know what saamiyaar is going to say, what do the rest say?
is the additional 140k worth it for the ivy stamp?

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:29 pm

confusement:

what should i answer for this? I already filled out - Divorced for marital status and that the kid is living with mother (me).

Now:

What is the current marital status of the student's parent(s) whose information is being provided on this application?

- Married or in a domestic partnership
- Remarried
- Separated
- Never Married
- Divorced or no longer in a domestic partnership
- Widowed

which one should I be? what does domestic partnership mean?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:55 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:confusement:

what should i answer for this? I already filled out - Divorced for marital status and that the kid is living with mother (me).

Now:

What is the current marital status of the student's parent(s) whose information is being provided on this application?

- Remarried
- Separated
- Never Married
- Widowed

You have a great opportunity here to be a famous person. Write to Christie and he will be confused as hell.

Srsly...look at each question separately. 1. you are divorced - check

2. in a domestic relationship - check (it does not ask with who).

Then..all this filing matters ONLY if the kid is a minority or planning to apply for a loan. if she is going to a private school, I can understand that she might get some tuition discount based on a poor single mother status. But, your house value will give it away and your salary. Also, as a divorcee it will ask your alimony, etc..etc..

You should have thought of all these things before divorcing...your pathi ji.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:54 pm

Now:

- Remarried
- Separated
- Never Married
- Widowed

You have a great opportunity here to be a famous person. Write to Christie and he will be confused as hell.

Then..all this filing matters ONLY if the kid is a minority or planning to apply for a loan.  if she is going to a private school, I can understand that she might get some tuition discount based on a poor single mother status. But, your house value will give it away and your salary. Also, as a divorcee it will ask your alimony, etc..etc..

i filled 'divorced or not in domestic partnership'. Apparently that is something slightly more formal and legal. I had also said there are 4 of us living in the household. So there was a section for the 2 other family members beside me and daughter. I filled up son's info in one, and xh's info in second. for relationship, there was no 'father' option lol, so i chose 'other' and mentioned later that the father is living with us. 

even though we won't get anything, i guess you should enter in the system to be considered for future years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:27 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

even though we won't get anything, i guess you should enter in the system to be considered for future years.

Are you sure? check with ANY school financial aid office. In fact, you are giving them an opportunity tp compare wht you say now with any future application. More fodder.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:40 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

Now:

- Remarried
- Separated
- Never Married
- Widowed

Then..all this filing matters ONLY if the kid is a minority or planning to apply for a loan.  if she is going to a private school, I can understand that she might get some tuition discount based on a poor single mother status. But, your house value will give it away and your salary. Also, as a divorcee it will ask your alimony, etc..etc..

i filled 'divorced or not in domestic partnership'. Apparently that is something slightly more formal and legal. I had also said there are 4 of us living in the household. So there was a section for the 2 other family members beside me and daughter. I filled up son's info in one, and xh's info in second. for relationship, there was no 'father' option lol, so i chose 'other' and mentioned later that the father is living with us. 

>>>Did it ask you about household income? I am not even sure you would have gotten anything even with just one income. Keep an eye out for unique scholarship funds... children of deserving SUCHers with a penchant for nostalgic writings etc. That sort of thing. Smile You never know what you may unearth.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:23 am

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

Now:

- Remarried
- Separated
- Never Married
- Widowed

>>>Did it ask you about household income? I am not even sure you would have gotten anything even with just one income. Keep an eye out for unique scholarship funds... children of deserving SUCHers with a penchant for nostalgic writings etc. That sort of thing. Smile You never know what you may unearth.

Usually, all schools have SOME merit scholarships at different stages and for majors depending on donors and endowments. These are mostly merit based unless specified by the endowments. Then there are some by city, county, state and other Govt agencies - which are merit based but for special categories. Females in the STEM area, minorities (desis are not), first time family college students, handicapped, etc..etc..

Talk to EACH college Dean's office, which will have a designated "Scholarship" contact person. You should be able to answer the question - how is your child special, different and in what way. If you can find an answer, then you have a shot.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:30 pm

Veeu wrote:a question to the wise people of such.
if your kid is academically exceptional with perfect SAT score, GPA and great extracurriculars so that she can get into any university, but she cannot get any scholarship or aid at the ivies because of parents income and as max said the process rewards the profligate,irresponsible parents.so she is expected to dole out upwards of 140k for the ivy education.
she will probably be  offered full ride at some universities which are in the top 75 but not the prestige of the ivies. what should she choose considering that the success of the ivy alumni is more because of student quality and networking rather than any value addition by the ivies.
the high command has taken the decision already. the prevailing logic is that money can always be earned back but the kid never should say in her lifetime, "if only I went to ....."

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:59 pm

Veeu wrote:
the high command has taken the decision already. the prevailing logic is that money can always be earned back but the kid never should say in her lifetime, "if only I went to ....."

congratulations!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:54 pm

Want Your Kids to Succeed? Don't Pay For Their Education

parents-stop-taking-out-loans-for-your-childs-college-education

Should Parents Pay for Their Children's College Education?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:32 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Veeu wrote:

congratulations!

scratch scratch scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:38 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Veeu wrote:

congratulations!

scratch scratch scratch

a decision has been made. a decision is necessitated only when there is an actual choice to be made.  the choice was outlined in the original message.  conclusion: (veeu's) kid got into one of the ivies. hence the congratulations.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:41 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Veeu wrote:

congratulations!

scratch scratch scratch

apps all done?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:44 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Veeu wrote:

congratulations!

scratch scratch scratch

apps all done?

yeah all done. my sixth sense is telling me it's your kid who got into an ivy league school. congrats if that's the case.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:48 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Veeu wrote:

congratulations!

scratch scratch scratch

apps all done?

yeah all done. my sixth sense is telling me it's your kid who got into an ivy league school. congrats if that's the case.

not at all. if that was the case, i'll surely post here. she is applying to only a couple of ivies both of which are tremendous reach schools for her. we've made our peace with that a long time ago. the environment here is VERY difficult.  barracuda kids from barracuda families with miles long accomplishments, volunteering, internships, starting and running companies already, test scores, and super high GPAs having taken all the tough APs. we're nowhere in the ivy picture.

first kid to get into an ivy from her school (early decision) is an academically middle of the road white girl. all the indian american kids with scary accomplishments have been deferred.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:00 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

congratulations!

scratch scratch scratch

apps all done?

not at all. if that was the case, i'll surely post here. she is applying to only a couple of ivies both of which are tremendous reach schools for her. we've made our peace with that a long time ago. the environment here is VERY difficult.  barracuda kids from barracuda families with miles long accomplishments, test scores, and super high GPAs having taken all the tough APs. we're nowhere in the ivy picture.

first kid to get into an ivy from her school (early decision) is an academically middle of the road white girl. all the indian american kids with scary accomplishments have been deferred.

the 2nd rank girl (white) in my daughter's batch got into one of the ivies with full ride. this year their batch is crazy. d's friend (white) got grounded coz she stood rank 29th at 102%. Top is a desi guy at 105%.

mine applied to 3-4 safety local schools. 2-3 reach schools, but not ivy. and 2-3 target. Let's see. these days if i don't take melatonin at night, i wake up at any odd hour and then can't sleep. I keep getting nightmares that her school refused to let her graduate. I need to snap out of this, i know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:13 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
mine applied to 3-4 safety local schools. 2-3 reach schools, but not ivy. and 2-3 target. Let's see. these days if i don't take melatonin at night, i wake up at any odd hour and then can't sleep. I keep getting nightmares that her school refused to let her graduate. I need to snap out of this, i know.

This is the beginning of the drama (or trauma) that will last the rest of your life.

Oh...that is not at all far-fetched. These kids assume their lives are set and end up screwing their last semester.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:07 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

scratch scratch scratch

apps all done?

not at all. if that was the case, i'll surely post here. she is applying to only a couple of ivies both of which are tremendous reach schools for her. we've made our peace with that a long time ago. the environment here is VERY difficult.  barracuda kids from barracuda families with miles long accomplishments, test scores, and super high GPAs having taken all the tough APs. we're nowhere in the ivy picture.

the 2nd rank girl (white) in my daughter's batch got into one of the ivies with full ride. this year their batch is crazy. d's friend (white) got grounded coz she stood rank 29th at 102%. Top is a desi guy at 105%.

>>>>Honestly, quit worrying. It will turn out okay. They are living in  a land of opportunity. They have time. Just stay on top of it to make sure there is forward movement in terms of getting skills and a decent education.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:10 am

it's easy to get depressed about the ivies.  there is just no telling what they want and difficult to interpret this assembling a diverse class business. we've always told her to pursue whatever interests her and not try fit some mold that she thinks is attractive to ivies. there are girls here who were excellent BN dancers and carnatic musicians who gave that up early and pursued cello, violin, tuba etc.  because they think it might be  more salable at the ivies. my girls have been passionate about BN after we exposed them when they were very young (just out of toddlerhood) and have stuck with it. regardless of what colleges they attend and what they do professionally, they will always pursue BN.  they have pursued BN to the exclusion of everything else outside academia.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:22 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it's easy to get depressed about the ivies.  there is just no telling what they want and difficult to interpret this assembling a diverse class business. we've always told her to pursue whatever interests her and not try fit some mold that she thinks is attractive to ivies. there are girls here who were excellent BN dancers and carnatic musicians who gave that up early and pursued cello, violin, tuba etc.  because they think it might be  more salable at the ivies. my girls have been passionate about BN after we exposed them when they were very young (just out of toddlerhood) and have stuck with it. regardless of what colleges they attend and what they do professionally, they will always pursue BN.  they have pursued BN to the exclusion of everything else outside academia.

I have come across 2 cases in which the girls are now running BN and Carnautic music schools. One went to MIT for electrical engineering, did BS and SM, returned to work in a great company (it is really one of the good ones). But quit and started her own studio and now runs her dance school full time.

Another one put her foot down and did BA in music and runs her own carnautic music school. She is only 24 and might still change her career but not likely. Usually, it is the parents who are more traumatised than the kids at Ivy denial and resorting to non-standard profession.

There was this woman who was all hyped as she was sure all her kids will end up in med school at ivies. The first one was a valedictorian and a dancer, went to a Pseudo-ivy with an intent to continue her MD but did not get in . Of course after a few years of wandering in the wild she is in a med school. The mom and the Dr. Dad disappeared from public view for these last 3, 4 years. Now that her first girl is in med school (albeit an ordinary one), the parents have started to resurface.

I noticed a similar thing with a chinese parent. So it is just the immigrant syndrome and the Ivy goal is carried from back home in most cases.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:29 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

congratulations!

scratch scratch scratch

apps all done?

not at all. if that was the case, i'll surely post here. she is applying to only a couple of ivies both of which are tremendous reach schools for her. we've made our peace with that a long time ago. the environment here is VERY difficult.  barracuda kids from barracuda families with miles long accomplishments, volunteering, internships, starting and running companies already, test scores, and super high GPAs having taken all the tough APs. we're nowhere in the ivy picture.

hahaha @"scary accomplishments".

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:39 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it's easy to get depressed about the ivies.  there is just no telling what they want and difficult to interpret this assembling a diverse class business. we've always told her to pursue whatever interests her and not try fit some mold that she thinks is attractive to ivies. there are girls here who were excellent BN dancers and carnatic musicians who gave that up early and pursued cello, violin, tuba etc.  because they think it might be  more salable at the ivies. my girls have been passionate about BN after we exposed them when they were very young (just out of toddlerhood) and have stuck with it. regardless of what colleges they attend and what they do professionally, they will always pursue BN.  they have pursued BN to the exclusion of everything else outside academia.
see bold text. splendid advice!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:19 pm

swapna wrote:
see bold text. splendid advice!

This "openness" is slowly seeping into some upper-class parents in India as well - finally. These are people already wealthy but also quite accomplished educationally.Met a couple of such kids. One girl went over her parents wish and doing what she wants. She wants to do CS and combine it with public policies. Another guy is interested in music and engineering and plans to come to US or go to Singapore to do a double major - as such things are not possible in India at this time.

Another from the poor-segment went into computer science due to peer pressure - although he is interested in Genetics. Told him not to lose hope and there are gazzilion ways for him to get back into genetics-related areas at higher level. He is not even thinking about IT job after his UG but to go higher. Will have to see how his dirt-poor family reacts when the time comes.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:26 pm

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

apps all done?

>>>>Honestly, quit worrying. It will turn out okay. They are living in  a land of opportunity. They have time. Just stay on top of it to make sure there is forward movement in terms of getting skills and a decent education.

very moderate basic expectations here. nothing big like an ivy league or med school. like you said, just want to make sure they track along.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:27 pm

I have come across 2 cases in which the girls are now running BN and Carnautic music schools. One went to MIT for electrical engineering, did BS and SM, returned to work in a great company (it is really one of the good ones). But quit and started her own studio and now runs her dance school full time.

Another one put her foot down and did BA in music and runs her own carnautic music school. She is only 24 and might still change her career but not likely.  Usually, it is the parents who are more traumatised than the kids at Ivy denial and resorting to non-standard profession.

There was this woman who was all hyped as she was sure all her kids will end up in med school at ivies. The first one was a valedictorian and a dancer, went to a Pseudo-ivy with an intent to continue her MD but did not get in . Of course after a few years of wandering in the wild she is in a med school. The mom and the Dr. Dad disappeared from public view for these last 3, 4 years. Now that her first girl is in med school (albeit an ordinary one), the parents have started to resurface.

I noticed a similar thing with a chinese parent.  So it is just the immigrant syndrome and the Ivy goal is carried from back home in most cases.

unless this is an epidemic (see bolded) and there are lots of such women, i know exactly who you are referring to. such a small world!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:01 pm

the early action decisions have started coming in. the asian and indian kids are doing well, but no ivy early action for asian and indian kids. the only ones who got in early are white and hispanic kids (school has a negligible black population) who are neither at the top of the academic nor the extracurricular food chain.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next