Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kerala food.......

+2
goodcitizn
Vakavaka Pakapaka
6 posters

Go down

Kerala food....... Empty Kerala food.......

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:57 am

.......looks well balanced.......

http://i.ndtvimg.com/i/2015-12/banana-leaf_625x350_51450425264.jpg

http://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/a-beginners-guide-to-the-kerala-sadya-1256057?pfrom=home-recipes

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Kerala food....... Empty Re: Kerala food.......

Post by goodcitizn Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:30 am

I don't see a big difference between the sadya wedding feast and the kalyana sappadu in traditional hindu weddings in Tamil Nadu. I don't see any sweets, pickles or banana on the plantain leaf in that picture. On the Kerala menu, there was no mention of milagootal which I thought was a dish that hailed from there.

Thanks for the post. My tastebuds are on a riot!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:45 am

Such tempting pics, the mouth began watering while watching, even though i am filled up on dates, baby carrots and cherries, and tea.

But these visuals are preparing me well for an indian buffet place, funnily with a very holidayish name, that i am about to go to soon.

Off the topic. I am off sugar. You read it. no (added) sugar. If i get it in fruits, nuts, etc. then it's fine, but keeping that too limited. Else, no sugar. been like this for 3-4 weeks now. was eating way too much of it lately and just got grossed out one day. Replaced almost all my snacks overnight.

Had some withdrawals initially, but am mostly fine. Fulfilled the craving with figs (a quarter or two a day or two), that's loaded with sugar. The only after-effect is that even a little sweet tastes too sweet now and i can't eat much of it.

The biggest plus is avoiding thousands of calories that comes with the holidays. But refusing a homemade baked dessert yesterday killed me. I went once to take a BIG smell of it, but avoided the temptattion. Also, now that close peeps know this, they wave whatever chocolate they are eating, in my face. Even the distant (geographically) ones do that on Facetime! "I was eating this chocolate and remembered you can't eat it, so called you to show it". Really? Rolling Eyes . Or, "oh you are looking like such a sad puppy sitting next to that box of chocolates".

But I am not budging. Not this time. Well. Broke the rule just for turkey w/craberry sauce and wine on thxgiving, and for a birthday party cake. But doing fine otherwise. Especially coz it's short term. Will last maybe another week or so. But will definitely keep it in moderation, or work towards cutting it down to 5ish gms a day. May keep it reserved just for special desserts that you find like, once a year.

I also controlled my diet, and lost about 4 lbs in 20 days! After effect, dunno why, got a dozen acne on face. Used benzyl peroxide, and now my entire face is patchy red and itchy. Oh well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:02 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Such tempting pics, the mouth began watering while watching, even though i am filled up on dates, baby carrots and cherries, and tea.

But these visuals are preparing me well for an indian buffet place, funnily with a very holidayish name, that i am about to go to soon.

Off the topic. I am off sugar. You read it. no (added) sugar. If i get it in fruits, nuts, etc. then it's fine, but keeping that too limited. Else, no sugar. been like this for 3-4 weeks now. was eating way too much of it lately and just got grossed out one day. Replaced almost all my snacks overnight.

Had some withdrawals initially, but am mostly fine. Fulfilled the craving with figs (a quarter or two a day or two), that's loaded with sugar. The only after-effect is that even a little sweet tastes too sweet now and i can't eat much of it.

The biggest plus is avoiding thousands of calories that comes with the holidays. But refusing a homemade baked dessert yesterday killed me. I went once to take a BIG smell of it, but avoided the temptattion. Also, now that close peeps know this, they wave whatever chocolate they are eating, in my face. Even the distant (geographically) ones do that on Facetime! "I was eating this chocolate and remembered you can't eat it, so called you to show it". Really? Rolling Eyes . Or, "oh you are looking like such a sad puppy sitting next to that box of chocolates".

But I am not budging. Not this time. Well. Broke the rule just for turkey w/craberry sauce and wine on thxgiving, and for a birthday party cake. But doing fine otherwise. Especially coz it's short term. Will last maybe another week or so. But will definitely keep it in moderation, or work towards cutting it down to 5ish gms a day. May keep it reserved just for special desserts that you find like, once a year.

I also controlled my diet, and lost about 4 lbs in 20 days! After effect, dunno why, got a dozen acne on face. Used benzyl peroxide, and now my entire face is patchy red and itchy. Oh well.

Good! Try drinking water - it will fill the stomach, increase your metabolism, keep the kidneys healthy and help in the weight loss effort.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:18 pm

I had kerala food in 2011 jan for about a week. it was nothing to write home about except for the coconut chutney. they rave about prawns and fish, I didnt care for them either...godavari district folk make much tastier seafood dishes.

tamilnadu was a different story. loved the veggie dishes and the carb fest breakfasts but they really dont know what to do with animal flesh over there...AP got them beat by a long mile.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:45 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:I had kerala food in 2011 jan for about a week. it was nothing to write home about except for the coconut chutney. they rave about prawns and fish, I didnt care for them either...godavari district folk make much tastier seafood dishes.

tamilnadu was a different story. loved the veggie dishes and the carb fest breakfasts but they really dont know what to do with animal flesh over there...AP got them beat by a long mile.
You need to try some Chettinadu restaurants, like Karaikudi in Besant Nagar. You will change your mind for sure.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:51 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
You need to try some Chettinadu restaurants, like Karaikudi in Besant Nagar. You will change your mind for sure.

Karaikudi is really good. If you're still in Blr, try Ponnuswamy or even Coconut Grove.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:55 pm

goodcitizn wrote:I don't see a big difference between the sadya wedding feast and the kalyana sappadu in traditional hindu weddings in Tamil Nadu. I don't see any sweets, pickles or banana on the plantain leaf in that picture. On the Kerala menu, there was no mention of milagootal which I thought was a dish that hailed from there.

Most items - sambar, avial, poriyal etc are common. But do you have Tamil equivalents of kaalan and kootu?

Also, I think Mallu sambar has more hing in it.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:16 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:I don't see a big difference between the sadya wedding feast and the kalyana sappadu in traditional hindu weddings in Tamil Nadu. I don't see any sweets, pickles or banana on the plantain leaf in that picture. On the Kerala menu, there was no mention of milagootal which I thought was a dish that hailed from there.

Most items - sambar, avial, poriyal etc are common. But do you have Tamil equivalents of kaalan and kootu?

mOr kuzhambu - same theme of curd base with the imperative core ingredients coconut, jeera and green chillies; however, very many variations like w/wo fenugreek, w/wo dhania. w/wo a little chana/tur dal soaked and mashed etc., with or w/o curry leaves and/or cilantro and tadka with or w/o hing or red chillies

idhella bidi..but Eanri idhu... kerala muslim aka 'kaka' restaurants of BLR na marthbitri.. forget the expensive coconut groove on church but the proletarian ones, like imperial and new empire on residency road, taj across russell market, and moon light in mvm, where they serve the best sErva in many varieties, ghee rice, kushkA, egg curry and the diverse meat varieties. phew, I won't even get into those in mosque street, frazer town.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:01 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:I had kerala food in 2011 jan for about a week. it was nothing to write home about except for the coconut chutney. they rave about prawns and fish, I didnt care for them either...godavari district folk make much tastier seafood dishes.

I have. their food is good but not out of the world to my taste buds. I thought their kouju pitta fry was unique and very nice. I remember the waiter was ignoring the female I was with and was only taking the order from me, wouldnt even look at her when she was trying to say something. said female was a fire brand feminist type from mumbai and the red faced teeth gnashing was amusing

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:53 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

mOr kuzhambu - same theme of curd base with the imperative core ingredients coconut, jeera and green chillies; however, very many variations like w/wo fenugreek, w/wo dhania. w/wo a little chana/tur dal soaked and mashed etc., with or w/o curry leaves and/or cilantro and tadka with or w/o hing or red chillies

idhella bidi..but Eanri idhu... kerala muslim aka 'kaka' restaurants of BLR na marthbitri.. forget the expensive coconut groove on church but the proletarian ones, like imperial and new empire on residency road, taj across russell market, and  moon light in mvm, where they serve the best sErva in many varieties, ghee rice, kushkA, egg curry and the diverse meat varieties. phew, I won't even get into those in mosque street, frazer town.  

Ha-ha..no. GC's point was on Tamil nonveg food. Kaka restaurants don't qualify. But personally I have many fond memories of great meals at some of the places you named. Spl because Empire and Imperial were the only restaurants open long after the pubs had closed for the evening. And to my utter delight, I've discovered a string of kaka restaurants in Mumbai as well, all walking distance from work! Beef roast (with buffalo meat) and appams are my fave.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

idhella bidi..but Eanri idhu... kerala muslim aka 'kaka' restaurants of BLR na marthbitri.. forget the expensive coconut groove on church but the proletarian ones, like imperial and new empire on residency road, taj across russell market, and  moon light in mvm, where they serve the best sErva in many varieties, ghee rice, kushkA, egg curry and the diverse meat varieties. phew, I won't even get into those in mosque street, frazer town.  

Ha-ha..no. GC's point was on Tamil nonveg food. Kaka restaurants don't qualify. But personally I have many fond memories of great meals at some of the places you named. Spl because Empire and Imperial were the only restaurants open long after the pubs had closed for the evening. And to my utter delight, I've discovered a string of kaka restaurants in Mumbai as well, all walking distance from work! Beef roast (with buffalo meat) and appams are my fave.

there you go! when you get a chance check out the mvm joint, majA maadi !
Now, big apologies for misleading on those in mosque street.. they are great! what I meant to say was that I wouldn't even start on detailing those- they are awesome, and have a wide range, from $ street types to kind of $$$ uppity ones.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:22 pm

Oh yes saar. You are preaching to the choir.

Is Moonlight still running? I've passed by that intersection (on my way to CTR) dozens of times but to my shame, never once glanced at that corner...

There used to be another slightly upscale restaurant called Hoysala in the same row, which is now a women's hostel!!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:49 am

So speaketh the Kerala loin....
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:54 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Oh yes saar. You are preaching to the choir.

Is Moonlight still running? I've passed by that intersection (on my way to CTR) dozens of times but to my shame, never once glanced at that corner...

There used to be another slightly upscale restaurant called Hoysala in the same row, which is now a women's hostel!!

So, you Sikularly entered Hoysala and the women there beat you up black and blue?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:06 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

So, you Sikularly entered Hoysala and the women there beat you up black and blue?

Haha...you wish!!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:23 pm

AFAIK 2014 july, yes.

Its on 5th cross, past Mvm police station, along side and next to KC gen Hospital towards Rajaji Nagar, not toward link road, Mvm.

from the Margosa roadside (CTR) at the T, cross the street, walk up right side and its the first building after KCGH, kind of half-basement, hole-in-a-wall next to a paan shop, right after which the Mhmdn block starts. I am salivating already Crying or Very sad

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down