Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tamarind boy - balls kadhi girl wedding

3 posters

Go down

tamarind boy - balls kadhi girl wedding Empty tamarind boy - balls kadhi girl wedding

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:57 am

attended one of these weddings saamiyaar was referring to. it was something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdJtJjQqlW4

the tamarind crowd very reserved and standing around with perpetually perplexed looks, and the balls kadhi crowd whooping it up.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

tamarind boy - balls kadhi girl wedding Empty Re: tamarind boy - balls kadhi girl wedding

Post by Guest Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:20 am

what, SIs have the copyright on tamarind now? fyi only - balls kadhi is one of my most fave dishes of all times. one of my aunts make it for me whenever we are visiting. Not the super spicy (punju?) kind though.

edit: deleted a comment.

Back to top Go down

tamarind boy - balls kadhi girl wedding Empty Re: tamarind boy - balls kadhi girl wedding

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:37 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:what, SIs have the copyright on tamarind now? fyi only - balls kadhi is one of my most fave dishes of all times. one of my aunts make it for me whenever we are visiting. Not the super spicy (punju?) kind though.

edit: deleted a comment.
I assume Tamarind in this context refers to skin complexion.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:46 pm

i know someone who is married into a bengali family who is snidely referred to as the imli pani girl. so i thought tamarind is generally a southern indian thing. anyway besides that awful date tamarind chutney that is often served with samosas, do any northindian dishes make use of tamarind or tamarind paste?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:55 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i know someone who is married into a bengali family who is snidely referred to as the imli pani girl. so i thought tamarind is generally a southern indian thing. anyway besides that awful date tamarind chutney that is often served with samosas, do any northindian dishes make use of tamarind or tamarind paste?

Don't they use tamarind sauce in Bhel Puri ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:08 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i know someone who is married into a bengali family who is snidely referred to as the imli pani girl. so i thought tamarind is generally a southern indian thing. anyway besides that awful date tamarind chutney that is often served with samosas, do any northindian dishes make use of tamarind or tamarind paste?

those mean bongs… imli pani? what does that mean? what's pani for? Not sure of bong cuisine… i thought tamarind was used in one of the seafood recipes. 

i can't speak for all northindian cuisine as my knowledge is limited. in our homes, imli is used whenever anything has to be made slightly sour. We have used it as variations to amchur or lemon. i know it's the main ingredient of marathi dish amti, which is the variation (or mother?) of sambhar. Whenever we make kaddu it's with tamarind and jaggary and methidana or sweet neem for bitter. Another example is saunth for dahi bada. Sometimes in chhole dish. Will list more when i remember. 

and wait, now the imli chutney is awful? i love it.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:13 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

those mean bongs… imli pani? what does that mean? what's pani for? Not sure of bong cuisine… i thought tamarind was used in one of the seafood recipes. 

i can't speak for all northindian cuisine as my knowledge is limited. in our homes, imli is used whenever anything has to be made slightly sour. We have used it as variations to amchur or lemon. i know it's the main ingredient of marathi dish amti, which is the variation (or mother?) of sambhar. Whenever we make kaddu it's with tamarind and jaggary and methidana or sweet neem for bitter. Another example is saunth for dahi bada. Sometimes in chhole dish. Will list more when i remember. 

and wait, now the imli chutney is awful? i love it.

only because it is also sweet. i like balls kadhi just fine.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:23 pm

i have eaten plenty of northindian food. many restaurants in andheri and vt station and a few dhabas we used to frequent. i like punjabi food just fine, but can't have it every day. granted i haven't had much northindian food outside punjabi food.

now maharashtrian cuisine i like very much. i can have it every day and won't bore of it.

eta: was written in response to another post which has since been removed.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i have eaten plenty of northindian food. many restaurants in andheri and vt station and a few dhabas we used to frequent. i like punjabi food just fine, but can't have it every day. granted i haven't had much northindian food outside punjabi food.

now maharashtrian cuisine i like very much. i can have it every day and won't bore of it.

eta: was written in response to another post which has since been removed.

yeah. suspected that. ni food in andheri and vt stations, sure lol. while mumbai does have good food, it's not the best representative of ni food. dhabas are good too, but i mean… and ya, not all ni food is punjabi restaurant food. I don't think even punjus eat that rich food on a daily basis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down