Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does school demographics matter

+4
Kris
truthbetold
confuzzled dude
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
8 posters

Go down

Does school demographics matter Empty Does school demographics matter

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:38 am

Got into a decent school according to grades, sat, distance, and tuition. Campus is good. Classrooms and classes are also as per your liking. So what's the hesitation? Too many students of a certain ethnicity slash religion slash gender that you have had issues with all your life. 

In contrast only a tad better school but across the country and double the tuition and ok better weather, seems more appealing because it affords a much better diversity. The only reason why this hasn't developed into a full blown debate is that we haven't heard from the school yet. 

Is this just a passing phase? Otoh how do you address, 'how can you send me to a place where I know I will be unhappy as I have to live 4 years there amongst people I have never got along with.'

Back to top Go down

Does school demographics matter Empty Re: Does school demographics matter

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:51 am

Meghna Mathur wrote:Got into a decent school according to grades, sat, distance, and tuition. Campus is good. Classrooms and classes are also as per your liking. So what's the hesitation? Too many students of a certain ethnicity slash religion slash gender that you have had issues with all your life. 

In contrast only a tad better school but across the country and double the tuition and ok better weather, seems more appealing because it affords a much better diversity. The only reason why this hasn't developed into a full blown debate is that we haven't heard from the school yet. 

Is this just a passing phase? Otoh how do you address, 'how can you send me to a place where I know I will be unhappy as I have to live 4 years there amongst people I have never got along with.'

Environment plays one of 3 or 4 important roles in shaping a kid - especially at the critical transitional age of 18-20. They desperately try to find a set of friends who will like them and accept within their group (note this). This is where kids fall in wrong groups the first semester/year and all else follows.

The distant, double tuition, will be no panacea. The school should offer 1)good program in a field that the kid likes 2) good environment, 3) affordable, and 4) close enough to fly in or fly out (there will be instances where you could not wait to be near).

I am glad that you are enjoying the fruits of parenthood.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:57 am

Send the kiddo to the school that she's most comfortable with and where she thinks she can fit in well and be happy. That's so important. Else, it'll be a four year torture. That's why they say campus visits are so important. The kid will get a sense of how comfortable she/he'll be there.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:12 am

Meghna Mathur wrote:Got into a decent school according to grades, sat, distance, and tuition. Campus is good. Classrooms and classes are also as per your liking. So what's the hesitation? Too many students of a certain ethnicity slash religion slash gender that you have had issues with all your life. 

How does diversity matter to minority kids?! Being born and lived in the biggest metro area, she probably has seen it all, what's left to unearth, elsewhere?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:28 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

How does diversity matter to minority kids?! Being born and lived in the biggest metro area, she probably has seen it all, what's left to unearth, elsewhere?

Its VERY important. First their mindset is very raw. New situation. Most Indian girls look for other Indian girls for support to start with. They do get friends from all other ethnicites as well. Will the kid be just as comfortable at Univ of Montana or even Univ of Arizona than any of the universities on the coast? It is not one of learning to deal with other ethnicites rather the env. Here is a lightbulb moment:

Noticed that ABCDs form friendship with Chinkus, Whites, or other ABCDs. Two groups they seldom mingle 1. Blacks, 2. Desis from Desh (this is even rarer).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:50 am

which group is the problem? Chinese ( probably not considering religious aspect)? Blacks (probably not since no Indian will admit to it)? South Indians? Muslims?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:52 am

>>A lot of it depends on the child in terms of being being to adjust to a new place and new friends. From a parental perspective, the closer to home the better, if we are talking of an america-raised kid. Make a deal with her. Tell her to give it a shot for a year and if she doesn't like it, she can apply elsewhere. Another upside to this, she will learn to deal with people one-on-one out of necessity, which will turn out to be an asset in the long run.

P.S. I don't understand why the schools make a point of their demographic profiles. It seems to encourage very narrow self-definitions, but I guess that is the politics of the day.

Last edited by Kris on Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:52 am

Meghna Mathur wrote:So what's the hesitation? Too many students of a certain ethnicity slash religion slash gender that you have had issues with all your life. 
too many aa - "kallu" in northpeepal's language - boys? or muslims? I didn't know that there was any such place. 

btw, yale is far more socially, culturally, and politically liberal than princeton. regardless, harvard's undergraduate programs don't match the other two's.

I estimate 20% of yale's student body to be jewish. 

it's interesting that sam yaar and kinnamma seem to know exactly which ethnic group you're referring to. so "desi" na.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:06 pm

truthbetold wrote:which group is the problem? Chinese ( probably not considering religious aspect)? Blacks (probably not since no Indian will admit to it)?  South Indians? Muslims? 
hahaha! you are southern indian, aren't you? do you consider yourself deserving of the contempt of an 18-year-old abcd who grew up in an indian ghetto in the u.s.?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:11 pm

swapna wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:So what's the hesitation? Too many students of a certain ethnicity slash religion slash gender that you have had issues with all your life. 
too many aa - "kallu" in northpeepal's language - boys? or muslims? I didn't know that there was any such place. 

btw, yale is far more socially, culturally, and politically liberal than princeton. regardless, harvard's undergraduate programs don't match the other two's.

it's interesting that sam yaar and kinnamma seem to know exactly which ethnic group you're referring to. so "desi" na.
How about Pakistani muslim boys. That will cover the ethnicity, religion and gender. tongue J/k. Seriously, i have no idea exctly which ethnic group she's referring to. I don't agree with Saamiyaar. Blacks are not to be feared. They are nice people, at least in Georgia. They are the ones who were subjugated and put to so many hardships over the centuries.

PS: West indies just won cricket in the world cup final. Hubby was super excited in the last over. WI did an amazing job, it seems.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:12 pm

Swapna/flimflam,

You are an idiot.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:16 pm

i had signed up for campus tours of the distant university, but at that time she had changed her mind about it as it was a party school, and she wasn't interested in that. then she got talking to some students there and just recently got interested again. The one that's closer, we did go there, and she was pretty happy that day, although she was saying then too that as per her research there isn't too much diversity in that school.  

this particular group has bullied her a lot over her entire school time. she's fine with most of the girls, but boys, na-ah. she does try though. tries every year. she's most miserable in classes that has this group in the majority. i try telling her they will be better in college most likely. Both XH and I have good friends from this group, and we give counter examples, but she tries to tell me that there is much more intolerance in her generation than it was in ours. God knows how much weight there is to that. 

my other worry is, that if she's shunned by the top majority, she'll mingle with the next one, and i see some probs with that. 

no, i won't play the game of narrowing down on the ethnicity. That's why i am not publicly posting the reasons why they treat her bad and why she finds issues with them in return. Doesn't matter if the reasons are justified or not, except that that's what her experience has been, and she's apprehensive.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:19 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Its VERY important. First their mindset is very raw. New situation. Most Indian girls look for other Indian girls for support to start with. They do get friends from all other ethnicites as well. Will the kid be just as comfortable at Univ of Montana or even Univ of Arizona than any of the universities on the coast? It is not one of learning to deal with other ethnicites rather the env. Here is a lightbulb moment:

Noticed that ABCDs form friendship with Chinkus, Whites, or other ABCDs. Two groups they seldom mingle 1. Blacks, 2. Desis from Desh (this is even rarer).  
Though I agree with you on that (given the trumpized-situation in this country), I'm not sure the situation we're discussing falls into that category.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:30 pm

MM, wait until the results of the distant school come out. When she gets in, make it a point to visit the school. After that, visit the nearby school again. Then weigh in all the factors, including the 'feel' or intuition of hers. Take the decision then. Tough decision making times, i know. Been through all that! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:35 pm

Meghna,

I am aware of cases where male members of a certain country causing unnecessary tensions and disruptions. It may sound strange there is a world of difference between same religions male members from Indian origin tend to be as friendly as any other Indian group. It is unfortunate that some people carry the false propaganda from native lands to wherever they go.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:18 pm

Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:

How about Pakistani muslim boys. That will cover the ethnicity, religion and gender. tongue J/k. Seriously, i have no idea exctly which ethnic group she's referring to. I don't agree with Saamiyaar. Blacks are not to be feared. They are nice people, at least in Georgia. They are the ones who were subjugated and put to so many hardships over the centuries.

PS: West indies just won cricket in the world cup final. Hubby was super excited in the last over. WI did an amazing job, it seems.

Where did I say that the Blacks should be feared ?..???? I was simply stating my observation. Ntice that Blacks hang together much like the Chinku-Chinkus and Desis moving like a herd. ABCDs dont find a whole lot in common with the Blacks. Quite a few blacks do get in for their quota and race - however racist it might sound I am standing by my observation. ABCDs are fine with Chinese and vietnames and hispanics and jews - they seem to be quite uncomfortable with the Desis and chinkus from outside US. ABCDs dnt keep blacks out but just there is not much in common.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:54 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:i had signed up for campus tours of the distant university, but at that time she had changed her mind about it as it was a party school, and she wasn't interested in that. then she got talking to some students there and just recently got interested again. The one that's closer, we did go there, and she was pretty happy that day, although she was saying then too that as per her research there isn't too much diversity in that school.  

this particular group has bullied her a lot over her entire school time. she's fine with most of the girls, but boys, na-ah. she does try though. tries every year. she's most miserable in classes that has this group in the majority. i try telling her they will be better in college most likely. Both XH and I have good friends from this group, and we give counter examples, but she tries to tell me that there is much more intolerance in her generation than it was in ours. God knows how much weight there is to that. 

my other worry is, that if she's shunned by the top majority, she'll mingle with the next one, and i see some probs with that. 

no, i won't play the game of narrowing down on the ethnicity. That's why i am not publicly posting the reasons why they treat her bad and why she finds issues with them in return. Doesn't matter if the reasons are justified or not, except that that's what her experience has been, and she's apprehensive.
TW,

You are correct. My observation is that high school here (as in India) is a bunch of the same classmates thrown together for the most part for the duration of the school years. The university experience is with a much, much wider pool of students from multiple backgrounds. So, even if there is cliquishness, it is bound to not affect you very much. 

As Kinnera says, wait for the decision from the second school and do the site visit. In the meantime, have her reach out to students in the first school, friends or friends of friends etc., to get their feedback on her specific concerns. Hopefully, that will help her make an informed decision.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:13 pm

all NJ kids hate rutgers. i don't know why. it's an excellent school. friend of mine has the same problem with his kids. this must be the "ghar ka murgi dal barabar" syndrome. MA also has the same problem with kids boycotting UMass in favor of distant schools that are only marginally better. but the problem is more acute in NJ because IMO for most fields, rutgers is much better than UMass.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:21 pm

Kris wrote:
TW,

You are correct. My observation is that high school here (as in India) is a bunch of the same classmates thrown together for the most part for the duration of the school years. The university experience is with a much, much wider pool of students from multiple backgrounds. So, even if there is cliquishness, it is bound to not affect you very much. 

As Kinnera says, wait for the decision from the second school and do the site visit. In the meantime, have her reach out to students in the first school, friends or friends of friends etc., to get their feedback on her specific concerns. Hopefully, that will help her make an informed decision.
Really? That is not the case in Virgina, they're not together from middle school onwards.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:47 pm

i think tbt is onto something here. that is the only thing that makes some sense. especially in NJ. other demographics like blacks generally will not be the majority crowd in many universities.

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:all NJ kids hate rutgers. i don't know why. it's an excellent school. friend of mine has the same problem with his kids. this must be the "ghar ka murgi dal barabar" syndrome.  MA also has the same problem with kids boycotting UMass in favor of distant schools that are only marginally better. but the problem is more acute in NJ because IMO for most fields, rutgers is much better than UMass.

yep. many of her classmates didn't even bother applying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:10 pm

Kris wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:i had signed up for campus tours of the distant university, but at that time she had changed her mind about it as it was a party school, and she wasn't interested in that. then she got talking to some students there and just recently got interested again. The one that's closer, we did go there, and she was pretty happy that day, although she was saying then too that as per her research there isn't too much diversity in that school.  

TW,

yeah, that's what i am going with too. let's see.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:26 pm

hmm... I looked up the "nearby" school diversity data. I think I can begin to see what the issues might. It's nowhere close to the kind of diversity I expected but it's probably reflective of the state.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:38 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:all NJ kids hate rutgers. i don't know why. it's an excellent school. friend of mine has the same problem with his kids. this must be the "ghar ka murgi dal barabar" syndrome.  MA also has the same problem with kids boycotting UMass in favor of distant schools that are only marginally better. but the problem is more acute in NJ because IMO for most fields, rutgers is much better than UMass.

There is a perceptible view among ABCDs and Chinkus that by going to local state schools, they will be branded as losers.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:40 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:

There is a perceptible view among ABCDs and Chinkus that by going to local state schools, they will be branded as losers.

bingo! only exception is the UCal system and cal desi kids.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:43 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:

bingo! only exception is the UCal system and cal desi kids.

Urbana, Michigan, UCLA and Berkeley (only), GT and Austin are exceptions for the local kids.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:45 pm

and to a certain extent uwisc and uminn, but those desi populations are too sparse.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:47 pm

we toured the UCSD campus and loved it. very good for bio related stuff.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:51 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:we toured UCSD campus and loved it. very good for bio related stuff.

UCSD is highly ranked for Biomed engineering - especially neuro psychiatry. Hard to get in. But Cali kids dont try to get into other programs at UCSD.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:05 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and to a certain extent uwisc and uminn, but those desi populations are too sparse.
Add UVA too, TJHSST  to UVA is a beaten path in NVA.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and to a certain extent uwisc and uminn, but those desi populations are too sparse.

I included the above in a list and somehow I lost the post when I hit back screen.

I heard a girl in Minn say "who would go to U Minn" and same from a Madison ABCD. really... they have no clue about education.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:44 pm

garam-kuta wrote:i think tbt is onto something here. that is the only thing that makes some sense. especially in NJ. other demographics like blacks generally will not be the majority crowd in many universities.

-8 for you, Bo unkil clap

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:00 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:

did you mean "persistent?"

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:08 pm

swapna wrote:

safety ??? - not just downtown near the MedSchool, the whitney avenue neighborhood as well.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:12 pm

I suspect that nj students don't want to attend rutgers for much the same reason thst ma students don't want to attend umass: they want to live far away from mummmy-ji and dadddy-ji. 

like you, they too are human beings; they want independence, freedom from close monitoring and control; freedom to make decisions on majors and.courses, to choose friends, and to know people of the opposite sex. 

maybe they even want to know - omg! ayyo! naan enna thaan paNNuvaeno! - how it feels to fcuk!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:41 pm

swapna wrote:I suspect that nj students don't want to attend rutgers for much the same reason thst ma students don't want to attend umass: they want to live far away from mummmy-ji and dadddy-ji. 

like you, they too are human beings; they want independence, freedom from close monitoring and control; freedom to make decisions on majors and.courses, to choose friends, and to know people of the opposite sex. 

maybe they even want to know - omg! ayyo! naan enna thaan paNNuvaeno! - how it feels to fcuk!

LoL! tambaram தமிழ் வாழ்க​! த்தா தங்கள் தமிழ் தொண்டு வளர்க​!

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down