Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cunning Uttar Pradeshi manages to hoodwink, befool, and fleece stupid Gujaratis

Go down

Cunning Uttar Pradeshi manages to hoodwink, befool, and fleece stupid Gujaratis Empty Cunning Uttar Pradeshi manages to hoodwink, befool, and fleece stupid Gujaratis

Post by Guest Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:12 am

I went to a local SwamiNarayan temple recently. I am not particularly religious, but i like going to temples. So i did research on the SwamiNarayan group, and what i found was interesting.

The founder was an Uttar Pradeshi who had migrated and settled down in Gujarat in British India (when India was under British rule). He seemed to have become a favorite of the British authorities with whom he was on good terms with. On one occasion the British gave a 101 gun salute in honor of SwamiNarayan. I think SwamiNarayan's understanding and agreement with the British was that he would quell any anti-British revolutionary ardor amongst the Gujaratis by spreading and propagating religious nonsense, and in return the British would give him support in various ways.

When he died, SwamiNarayan arranged to give charge of the two main temples of his sect in Gujarat to two of his Uttar Pradeshi nephews with the instruction that their descendants would be the successors and whoever is in charge would get to decide his own successor. (I wonder whether the Uttar Pradeshi descendants of SwamiNarayan were marrying Gujarati women or Uttar Pradeshi women.) So, effectively, it became a family operation. At least five breakaway factions in the official SwamiNarayan sect have emerged from the death of SwamiNarayan to the present time. Meanwhile, one of the two main temples designated by SwamiNarayan to his own family is currently embroiled in allegations of corruption, murder, and sex scandals dating back to many years.

SwamiNarayan had declared himself to be a God, and would dress and carry himself as if he is a king. He would accept lavish gifts from his wealthy followers, and would defend himself by claiming he was accepting these gifts on behalf of his disciples. Dayanand Saraswati and Gandhi criticized SwamiNarayan for, among other things, declaring himself to be God.  

SwamiNarayan seems to have had the last laugh since the religious sects accepting him as God are now spread all over the world and are fabulously wealthy.

Back to top Go down