Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saamiyaar, do you believe this guy?

2 posters

Go down

Saamiyaar, do you believe this guy? Empty Saamiyaar, do you believe this guy?

Post by MulaiAzhagi Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:07 pm

aditha karikalan

After 2 years of intensive preparation, hard work and focussed study groups etc, I struggled to get a low rank in JEE. Obviously I did not join IIT for my undergrad as I had better options outside. Later I took GATE - with not even an iota of preparation and in fact went to see a Rajini movie the day before GATE - and I got All India Rank 32!!!!!!! And an immediate call for MTech in all IITs.I realized that JEE and GATE are definitely not on the same level.However, after I joined MTech, I credited a couple of courses from the BTech streams (4th year courses). Initially I was a bit apprehensive - thought I may struggle competing with the JEE guys. To my surprise I found many of them were lacking in fundamentals, were losing focus and actually going thru the motions. Most of the were interested only getting admission and schol from some US univ and making it to the US. Not academically motivated and definitely not looking at doing a PhD. A few of those who could not make it to the US with a schol, were more than happy with a job from TCS or Infosys.A really sad state. Do you need to work so hard thru JEE and end up this way?Of course there were a couple of guys in that class who were extremely talented, motivated, focussed and aiming for big things in life. But that was a very poor minority.

http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/iit-genius-s-chandra-sekar.htm

===> Why would not Aditha Karikalan join IIT regardless of the kind of engineering he was forced to study?

I had a co-worker who studied Textile Engineering at IIT Delhi. She said she got a very low rank.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Saamiyaar, do you believe this guy? Empty Re: Saamiyaar, do you believe this guy?

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:15 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:aditha karikalan

After 2 years of intensive preparation, hard work and focussed study groups etc, I struggled to get a low rank in JEE. Obviously I did not join IIT for my undergrad as I had better options outside. Later I took GATE - with not even an iota of preparation and in fact went to see a Rajini movie the day before GATE - and I got All India Rank 32!!!!!!! And an immediate call for MTech in all IITs.I realized that JEE and GATE are definitely not on the same level.However, after I joined MTech, I credited a couple of courses from the BTech streams (4th year courses). Initially I was a bit apprehensive - thought I may struggle competing with the JEE guys. To my surprise I found many of them were lacking in fundamentals, were losing focus and actually going thru the motions. Most of the were interested only getting admission and schol from some US univ and making it to the US. Not academically motivated and definitely not looking at doing a PhD. A few of those who could not make it to the US with a schol, were more than happy with a job from TCS or Infosys.A really sad state. Do you need to work so hard thru JEE and end up this way?Of course there were a couple of guys in that class who were extremely talented, motivated, focussed and aiming for big things in life. But that was a very poor minority.

http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/iit-genius-s-chandra-sekar.htm

===> Why would not Aditha Karikalan join IIT regardless of the kind of engineering he was forced to study?

I had a co-worker who studied Textile Engineering at IIT Delhi. She said she got a very low rank.

I believe that he is telling the truth about his own ranks and stats. I know a person who turned down Architecture at IIT-KGP to join Mech Eng locally. I also know a person who after completing one year in eng locally joining IIT first year all over.

Regarding the attitude of his classmates, those are his views. But he was talking about MTech students who are mostly non-JEE folks. The few IIT grads were perhaps in the bottom 20% of their class.

These days most students would want to make the cut with the Big 5 to get to US faster, than taking the MS-PhD route.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Saamiyaar, do you believe this guy? Empty Re: Saamiyaar, do you believe this guy?

Post by MulaiAzhagi Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:32 pm

===> Why would someone turn down IIT when your parents are going to brag about you, friends and relatives would indulge you.

BTW I knew a kid who is from IIT Bombay. He brought some other IIT kids on a trip. They were talking about some common friends. The conversation went like this "You know Ramesh JEE 120. He is in .. Do you know John, JEE 50. "

It looks they give more importance to JEE rank than the class performance. JEE seems to haunt them throughout their lives.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:47 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> Why would someone turn down IIT when your parents are going to brag about you, friends and relatives would indulge you.

While most parents - mainly due to ignorance - simply depend on JEE rank and IIT placement as a way to compare their kids and status , there is a small % of parents and kids who don't fall for that.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down