Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Doctors Die- Essay

3 posters

Go down

How Doctors Die- Essay Empty How Doctors Die- Essay

Post by Maria S Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:16 pm

An insightful essay about the realities in Medical Communities. Obviously it depends on the individual..but, the anxieties and struggles are the same in the end.

http://zocalopublicsquare.org/thepublicsquare/2011/11/30/how-doctors-die/read/nexus/

"If there is a state of the art of end-of-life care, it is this: death with dignity. As for me, my physician has my choices. They were easy to make, as they are for most physicians. There will be no heroics, and I will go gentle into that good night. Like my mentor Charlie. Like my cousin Torch. Like my fellow doctors."
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

How Doctors Die- Essay Empty Re: How Doctors Die- Essay

Post by chameli Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:19 pm

Doctors care for patients all their life ..aggressively treat them when their end is near

but for themselves they want less knowing no amount of modern heroism will save them if they are meant to die

that means when they treat their end -of -life patients they do so for fear of being sued for malpractice isnt it ?

obviously they dont believe in it themsleves

which makes the practice of medicine for them a drudgery not a joy
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Maria S wrote:An insightful essay about the realities in Medical Communities. Obviously it depends on the individual..but, the anxieties and struggles are the same in the end.

http://zocalopublicsquare.org/thepublicsquare/2011/11/30/how-doctors-die/read/nexus/

"If there is a state of the art of end-of-life care, it is this: death with dignity. As for me, my physician has my choices. They were easy to make, as they are for most physicians. There will be no heroics, and I will go gentle into that good night. Like my mentor Charlie. Like my cousin Torch. Like my fellow doctors."

What do you say fo rthis?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:06 am

I say- glad that the child is recovering well after the surgeries. Obviously she is young and has her whole life ahead of her..wish her the best.

To me this article is about how different adults- esp. doctors make decisions about their treatment when confronted by life altering illnesses. The child did not know what to expect, while Doctors do know (at least think they know).."somewhat" what to expect..and that perhaps makes these decisions more difficult. I am sure you know how difficult it can be to deal with Doctors as Patients (esp. Men Doctors).
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:17 pm

maria ,

this article is telling us that doctors when they are dying do not ask for extra life saving measures ..like they are forced to do on their patients ..(for fear or lawsuits)

there is a lesson to be learnt from this for the lay people

that being ...to allow their loved ones to die with dignity
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:32 pm

Chameli,

That is certainly one aspect of the article- Doctors seldom follow the advice they give patients when it comes their own lives (can be anything from diet to death).

Fear of malpractice suits may be part of it..but, also on the human level..viewing oneself as a patient is very different- same as how we view things happening to other people- and it's often different when it happens to us.

Yes..allowing people to die with dignity is the bottom line..so is treating others with dignity while living as well!Smile
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:20 pm

im afraid i didnt make it clear.

I think doctors make good patients .but they know when they cannot be saved and therefore don't go for the "resuscitation " ;they are forced however to do so for patients ..

perhaps we should also think about the "do not resuscitate " option and die with dignity ...
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:59 pm

thanks for posting this maria. Smile i did not know CPR was so violent. i can only hope i die like the doctors choose to. but let me first get finished with the task of putting my kids in college. then i will plan my death if given a chance. i already have a gun license.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: i can only hope i die like the doctors choose..

...to die for themselves. interestingly maria, amit gupta, who styles himself as superamit has undergone the stem cell transplant for his lukemia at brigham and women's hospital and is now recovering. i follow him on twitter for his transplant is a rare case (also 'cos he is indian): https://twitter.com/#!/superamit

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:43 pm

You are welcome HK. Good to know that the essay offered insight and was thought provoking.

I am not sure what a gun license implies, but hope it does not imply some bad and sad scenarios. For me..after a few years, if circumstances call for it- will def. be "NO CODE" and "No life support" at anytime. Obviously, these are personal decisions, and it's important we let loved ones who have to make difficult choices know about it.

Mr. Gupta is a young man..hope he does recover well. And others really learn from him- how we can't take anything or anyone for granted..and not to sweat the small stuff too much.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down