Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hacker releases Symantec source code

3 posters

Go down

Hacker releases Symantec source code Empty Hacker releases Symantec source code

Post by artood2 Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:34 pm

So the world's biggest security company could not secure itself and we are moving on to the clouds. Look at the name of the group "Lords of Dharmaraja"!!!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/07/us-symantec-hackers-idUSTRE8160KB20120207

Symantec had previously confirmed the hacker, part of a group called Lords of Dharmaraja and affiliated with Anonymous, was in possession of source code for its products, obtained in a 2006 breach of the company's networks.

The email exchange released by the hacker, who claims to be based in Mumbai, India, shows drawn-out negotiations with a purported Symantec employee starting on January 18.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Hacker releases Symantec source code Empty Re: Hacker releases Symantec source code

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:48 pm

"We tricked them into offering us a bribe so we could humiliate them," YamaTough told Reuters.

cud they beee more lame.

it's embarassing to me bcz i am an indian too. these are bunch of sad jobless ppl looking for fame.

if they wanted to help by showing symantec's systems can be hacked, they shud ve done tht with some class.

Back to top Go down

Hacker releases Symantec source code Empty Re: Hacker releases Symantec source code

Post by Mosquito Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:16 pm

seven wrote:

"We tricked them into offering us a bribe so we could humiliate them," YamaTough told Reuters.

cud they beee more lame.

it's embarassing to me bcz i am an indian too. these are bunch of sad jobless ppl looking for fame.

if they wanted to help by showing symantec's systems can be hacked, they shud ve done tht with some class.

How are they lame? If you are a security company you ARE expected to secure your source code.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:24 pm

seven wrote:

cud they beee more lame.

Stev Jobs would have offered employment to the Lord Yama and Dharmaraja.

Anyone who can hack into SYmantec MUST have better brains than the thousands of code coolies that Symantec and other companies hire.

If the GoI is even following this, the Indian military/intelligence establishment should hire these guys with big rewards and let them monitor the Chikus, Satanis, and the Jehadis.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 pm

yah they shud. like USCIS shud hire me. i can tell the difference between fake client letters and fake I-9s and fake candidates Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:35 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:
seven wrote:

cud they beee more lame.

How are they lame? If you are a security company you ARE expected to secure your source code.

alright alright. i realized tht after the comments under that article. well i nvr said they r not smart but lame as in why did they want to get them to offer a bribe just to humiliate them. they hacked their security code and thats humiliating enuf (me thinks).

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:19 pm

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57373302-83/hackers-release-source-code-for-symantecs-pcanywhere/

The hackers, who call themselves The Lords of Dharmaraja, originally claimed they found the code after breaking into servers run by Indian military intelligence. But Symantec later revealed that the group had captured the code for PCAnywhere and other products by breaking into the security vendor's own network in 2006.

Symantec had initially warned PCAnywhere customers to disable the software but then declared the product safe again after it released the security patches.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:20 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
seven wrote:

cud they beee more lame.

Stev Jobs would have offered employment to the Lord Yama and Dharmaraja.

Anyone who can hack into SYmantec MUST have better brains than the thousands of code coolies that Symantec and other companies hire.

If the GoI is even following this, the Indian military/intelligence establishment should hire these guys with big rewards and let them monitor the Chikus, Satanis, and the Jehadis.

would not be surprised if it was a case of unauthorized internal access rather than a network breach.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:21 pm

seven wrote:

cud they beee more lame.

there is no glory in actually releasing the code and putting other users at risk once Symantec had acknowledged the breach.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down