Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting thrashed repeatedly for the slap

Go down

Getting thrashed repeatedly for the slap Empty Getting thrashed repeatedly for the slap

Post by Guest Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:48 am

NEW DELHI: Ever since he publicly slapped former telecom minister Sukhram and Union agriculture minister Sharad Pawar in November last year, Harvinder Singh has been fair game for goons who threaten, abduct and thrash him at will for his "social work" .

Only three days ago, the 26-year-old was abducted near Rithala Metro station in a car, thrashed and dumped outside a hospital in Rohini.

After two months of harassment and beatings - Singh got bail mid-December - police registered a case on Tuesday after TOI took up the issue.

The attacks began on January 15, Singh told TOI at a secret location in northwest Delhi . "On that night, I was attacked by five to six people near my house. The men beat me with hockey sticks and metal rods. I sustained severe injuries and was admitted to hospital," he said. "I went to the senior district officers with a copy of the medical certificate but nobody paid attention."

After being attacked by five people on January 15, Singh was visited by another group of men in February. "Around four people came to my house at 11.30pm and started hurling abuses. My family got scared and did not open the door. We approached police the next day, but no action was taken," said Singh. He lives with his parents and a brother.

On February 25, Singh was abducted in a car near Rithala Metro station. "The men blindfolded me and took me somewhere in Rajauri Garden. They thrashed me and threatened to hand me over to the police by planting a gun on me.

Later they dumped me at Ambedkar Hospital in Rohini and fled. I again sought police help but to no avail," he said. The trouble worsened, Singh claimed, with the local councillor elections nearing, as party workers asked him to join them or face retaliation.

Singh pointed to a photo of Bhagat Singh in his transport company office and said he wasn't deterred, not after jail and a stint at a mental hospital . Nor does he regret his actions . "I am not scared. I follow him and I will not be afraid of consequences. If these attackers think they will be able to suppress my voice, they are mistaken," he said.

Till last reports, police were in the process of registering a case after recording Singh's statement. Cops assured that steps would be taken to ensure he wasn't harmed in the future.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Man-who-slapped-Pawar-under-attack/articleshow/12079204.cms

Back to top Go down