Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

more shit hits the proverbial ceiling at GS

+3
Propagandhi711
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
7 posters

Go down

more shit hits the proverbial ceiling at GS Empty more shit hits the proverbial ceiling at GS

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:32 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/opinion/why-i-am-leaving-goldman-sachs.html?pagewanted=1
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

more shit hits the proverbial ceiling at GS Empty Re: more shit hits the proverbial ceiling at GS

Post by Guest Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:28 am

I have always taken a lot of pride in advising my clients to do what I believe is right for them, even if it means less money for the firm. This view is becoming increasingly unpopular at Goldman Sachs. Another sign that it was time to leave.

Guess this sums it up.

Back to top Go down

more shit hits the proverbial ceiling at GS Empty Re: more shit hits the proverbial ceiling at GS

Post by Guest Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:41 am

btw Max, how far is Ashland from you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:55 pm

What exactly is an Executive Director?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:02 pm

to me the article sounds like it was written by some small potatoes guy with potential but couldnt make it too far in the dog eat dog world. exec director is someone that couldnt become a managing director, according to bloomberg TV...

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:34 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:to me the article sounds like it was written by some small potatoes guy with potential but couldnt make it too far in the dog eat dog world. exec director is someone that couldnt become a managing director, according to bloomberg TV...

There is no managing director in US corporations....

Just saying....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Can someone please post the hierarchy of titles at GS?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:53 pm

http://www.instituteforfinance.com/faqs-investmentbanking.php

What is the typical job title hierarchy or ladder?

Most investment banks have the same strict hierarchy or ladder of financial professionals. From junior to senior, the typical hierarchy is (1) Analyst, (2) Associate, (3) Vice President (VP), (4) Senior Vice President (SVP)/Director and (5) Managing Director (MD). Some banks have different names for some of these positions, but the relative roles of each tend to be consistent within all investment banks.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:32 am

Hellsangel wrote:Can someone please post the hierarchy of titles at GS?

Don't you have their home addresses, cell #, and soc sec #???

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:36 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:to me the article sounds like it was written by some small potatoes guy with potential but couldnt make it too far in the dog eat dog world. exec director is someone that couldnt become a managing director, according to bloomberg TV...

>>> The guy was small fry in the scheme of things and don't know why he had his epiphany after so many years in the industry. That being said, Goldman has had its share of problems and I don't put it past his bosses talking about clients as 'muppets'. One of the old timers (can't remember in which article) hit the nail on the head. It is a case of long term greed in the past versus short term greed now, because of the change in the way the guys are incented. Under the old model, it is more relationship driven. Under the new model, it is more a case of making the deal now and get the money.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:58 am

..here some details about the corporate structure in Goldman Sachs....The Managing Director in US is not the same as managing Director in India.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:06 am

Weird. An Executive Director, by definition, is a senior member of the management team (hence "executive") who is also on the Board of Directors. In most corporations, there'll only be 4-5 EDs. And yet, in the Wall St world, it looks like this title is handed out like confetti...

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/public-rebuke-of-culture-at-goldman-opens-debate/?hp

"(There are about 12,000 executive directors, the equivalent of being a vice president in the United States, but only about 2,500 managing directors among Goldman’s 33,300 employees.)"
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:11 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Weird. An Executive Director, by definition, is a senior member of the management team (hence "executive") who is also on the Board of Directors. In most corporations, there'll only be 4-5 EDs. And yet, in the Wall St world, it looks like this title is handed out like confetti...

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/public-rebuke-of-culture-at-goldman-opens-debate/?hp

"(There are about 12,000 executive directors, the equivalent of being a vice president in the United States, but only about 2,500 managing directors among Goldman’s 33,300 employees.)"

>>>The title inflation has something to do the image put out to customers, to given the the idea they are dealing with some higher up in the organization.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:40 am

I think they must have watched Cheer's and woody's promotion by Ms. Howe.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:03 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Just saying....Razz

periyaar knowitall,
please read up on goldman sachs before shooting off your mouth.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:38 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Weird. An Executive Director, by definition, is a senior member of the management team (hence "executive") who is also on the Board of Directors. In most corporations, there'll only be 4-5 EDs. And yet, in the Wall St world, it looks like this title is handed out like confetti...

my friend's dog is a vice president at citibank.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:49 am

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/14/opinion/levine-goldman-sachs/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:00 am

funny how this highly scrupulous "sr exec" decides to leave after picking up his bonus...

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:32 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Just saying....Razz

periyaar knowitall,
please read up on goldman sachs before shooting off your mouth.

There are managing directors (India) and there are managing directors (elsewhere). The word "MD" gives the impression of a "CEO" which is exactly what it is in India and many Asian countries (Brit systems). In US, the Managing director - used mostly in financial Looting corporations - is nothing more than a Manager. 250 managing directors in Goldman Sachs ??? out of a total employment of 33,000 (forget the thousands managed by a single MD in India).

So, in short...I am right...

If a drug addict like Limbaugh can talk about anything, then my neighbor's dog is also a knowitall.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:08 pm

upps, dont argue semantics, man. you said clearly that there are no managing directors in US in this very context.

regardless, here's an amusing pictoral on what leads a banker to write such an article:

more shit hits the proverbial ceiling at GS 120314-ibanking-7

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:33 pm

i anticipated the vitriol against this guy. as to why he is taking his bonus -- wouldn't you if you were leaving the company? it's compensation for work he did for them while he was employed there. so what if he is small fry? he was in the trenches, getting grease on his elbow and doing the everyday work. he is courageous to come out and say what he is saying knowing full well that his career in the finance industry is finished.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:btw Max, how far is Ashland from you?

who wants to know and why?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:09 am

About 15 miles or 30 to 1 hr driving depending on the traffic.

**Sent on behalf of Max**

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:17 am

May I chime in?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:18 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Am going there to visit a cousin. Was just curious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:23 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Am going there to visit a cousin. Was just curious.

Goodland, KS is a short 1500 miles from your place.

Just saying.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:42 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:upps, dont argue semantics, man. you said clearly that there are no managing directors in US in this very context.

regardless, here's an amusing pictoral on what leads a banker to write such an article:

more shit hits the proverbial ceiling at GS 120314-ibanking-7
LOL. I am glad this dude came out and said this. I guess he has enough in the bank to kiss his i-banking career goodbye.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down