Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how often do you need to change engine oil in your car

+3
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Bittu
Propagandhi711
7 posters

Go down

how often do you need to change engine oil in your car Empty how often do you need to change engine oil in your car

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:34 pm

handy link that tells you manufacturer recommended mileage for oil changes.

http://www.checkyournumber.org/

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

how often do you need to change engine oil in your car Empty Re: how often do you need to change engine oil in your car

Post by Bittu Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:55 pm

faulty link is faulty.

it doesn't factor in the TYPE of oil you use.

synthetics go twice as long as conventional oils.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

how often do you need to change engine oil in your car Empty Re: how often do you need to change engine oil in your car

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:59 pm

yeah this looks to be for SAE rated conventional oils. I read somewhere that synthetic oil == atleast 15k between oil changes is standard. my car throws up this annoying oil change reminder every 3k miles and drives me nuts with the beeping on start. wish I could program it right

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:01 pm

what happened to the old way of pulling up the dipstick and LOOKING at the oil?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:08 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:handy link that tells you manufacturer recommended mileage for oil changes.

Yeah rite.... Remember it is only RECOMMENDATION. Do you inflate your car tyres according to the car manufacturer or the tyre manufacturer?... cheers

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:yeah this looks to be for SAE rated conventional oils. I read somewhere that synthetic oil == atleast 15k between oil changes is standard. my car throws up this annoying oil change reminder every 3k miles and drives me nuts with the beeping on start. wish I could program it right

10k with synthetics is a no-brainer, then pull up some oil on the dipstick and look at it for color, consistency, texture.

you don't know how to reset the oil change reminder in your car? This concerns me.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Bittu wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:yeah this looks to be for SAE rated conventional oils. I read somewhere that synthetic oil == atleast 15k between oil changes is standard. my car throws up this annoying oil change reminder every 3k miles and drives me nuts with the beeping on start. wish I could program it right

10k with synthetics is a no-brainer, then pull up some oil on the dipstick and look at it for color, consistency, texture.

you don't know how to reset the oil change reminder in your car? This concerns me.

yeah my manual has procedures on how to set it but the screens are only enabled if you have NAV which I dont...too lazy to go look at the button reset sequences etc. also am not looking to only reset but also reprogram reminder intervals. shoulda bought the nav option

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:56 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:handy link that tells you manufacturer recommended mileage for oil changes.

Yeah rite.... Remember it is only RECOMMENDATION. Do you inflate your car tyres according to the car manufacturer or the tyre manufacturer?... cheers

Aren't you supposed to follow the car manufacturer (and not the tire one)?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 pm

I just look at the little thing they put on the windshield with number of miles on the corner when I need to take it back in again. That's when I bring it in again.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:40 pm

artood2 wrote:

If you follow car manuf recos, your ride will be smooth/soft but will get 3 to 5 miles/gal less, wear out your tire much faster. If you follow tyre manuf, your tire will not wear out uniformly but will run truer, get more mileage, but the ride will be rough.

So....?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:41 pm

artood2 wrote:

If you follow car manuf recos, your ride will be smooth/soft but will get 3 to 5 miles/gal less, wear out your tire much faster. If you follow tyre manuf, your tire will not wear out uniformly but will run truer, get more mileage, but the ride will be rough.

So....?

>>> I follow my heart on this one- whenever I feel like it.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:28 am

every four months with good old mineral oil. this guy keeps pressing me about trying synthetic oil, but i am not yet convinced about the advantages of synthetic. perhaps i should try it once to know what the jazz is.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down