Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Africans" doing better than "Blacks" in college

3 posters

Go down

"Africans" doing better than "Blacks" in college Empty "Africans" doing better than "Blacks" in college

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:14 pm

“at least as measured by enrollment in elite universities, black immigrants and their children are succeeding in America far more, on average, than blacks whose families have been in the U.S. for generations--i.e., the descendants of slaves. This is a strong argument against the proposition that black underachievement in America is primarily the result of present-day racism.”

http://www.sciencebuzz.org/blog/africans_doing_better_than_blacks_in_college

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

"Africans" doing better than "Blacks" in college Empty Re: "Africans" doing better than "Blacks" in college

Post by Kris Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:44 pm

>>>>Apples and oranges. The African students who apply and get into the elite colleges are a self-selected sample. They are very likely the high achievers among their peers. It is unfair to compare this to the African-American population as a whole. Sure, if these foreign students are jumping on the affirmative action bandwagon, that is disingenuous, just as it would be for Chinese or Indians (or even Chinese-Americans and Indian-Americans) to claim victimhood.

Incidentally, I am not for this affirmative action nonsense as we see it. It comes with a stigma for the recipients and is unhealthy in suggesting some people are capable of less (and should nevertheless be made equal artificially). The problem should be tackled at a more basic level. Concentrate on why there is a gap in performance. If it is due to substandard education at the school level, then address it with better teachers and facilities and then let the chips fall where they may. And yes, obviously corrective measures can only go so far and the individual's merit is a key factor.

Kris

Back to top Go down

"Africans" doing better than "Blacks" in college Empty Re: "Africans" doing better than "Blacks" in college

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:28 am

Kris wrote:>>>>Apples and oranges. The African students who apply and get into the elite colleges are a self-selected sample. They are very likely the high achievers among their peers. It is unfair to compare this to the African-American population as a whole. Sure, if these foreign students are jumping on the affirmative action bandwagon, that is disingenuous, just as it would be for Chinese or Indians (or even Chinese-Americans and Indian-Americans) to claim victimhood.

The organizations who are desperate to showcase blacks on their rolls, are more than eager to recruit/admit/promote "these" Africans. I recently saw an 100% african immigrant black, but with US citizenship - get into a top program at the highest level with lesser qualifications than white males - I met 4 or 5 of them too. Same thing in promoting within an organization. If you want proof, just look around in your own organization.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:58 am

Oh, I am familiar with why orgs do this. This is why ideas like diversity are a sham. I was talking from the perspective of people who take advantage of this. One of my previous employers wanted to put out some stats on all the bilingual people on staff as a PR move or maybe they were filling out some government form. Can't remember now. Anyway, they wanted to include me in the list. I pointed out that I didn't speak Spanish ( which really was the purpose of this survey). My boss's position was they didn't mention that specifically..so, who cares?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down