Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Something wrong here

3 posters

Go down

Something wrong here Empty Something wrong here

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun May 20, 2012 10:51 pm

The Chinese and Indian students are going to eat our children’s lunch if we continue down this path.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/post/china-india-and-why-peter-thiel-is-wrong-about-education/2011/09/13/gIQAQzCgAL_blog.html

===> Vivek Wadhva was born and raised in India. He went to school there.

He still speaks with a NI accent.

Now he talks as if he is an American for whom India is an alien land.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Something wrong here Empty Re: Something wrong here

Post by Kris Sun May 20, 2012 11:37 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:The Chinese and Indian students are going to eat our children’s lunch if we continue down this path.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/post/china-india-and-why-peter-thiel-is-wrong-about-education/2011/09/13/gIQAQzCgAL_blog.html

>>>VW lives in this country and writes for an american readership. He is trying to get the message across that this country needs to wake up to the competition. What do you want him to do? Secondly, Peter Thiel would be right if his stance is that you shouldn't get a degree for the sake of getting a degree. If his stance is to forget all college education, which i think it is, Wadhwa has a point. Thankfully, the saving grace here here is that this is not a black or white thing. The kids that Thiel has in mind are the bright ones, who can always go back to school if the experiment fails.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat May 26, 2012 10:06 am

>>VW lives in this country and writes for an american readership. He is trying to get the message across that this country needs to wake up to the competition.

====>

1. If Vivek Wadhwa wanted to say that some schools in China and India will be providing better education to the kids than what a typical American school does, he can do so without losing his integrity.

But why go overboard and say "The Chinese and Indian students are going to eat our children’s lunch if we continue down this path."?

What exactly he means by "our children"? The white, black and hispanic kids in his neighborhood who most likely be referring to him as that man from India?

And exactly who are the "Indian students" he is talking about? His nephews and nieces back home and the grandchildren of the lady who sweeped his house when he went to school in India?

2. Vivek is trying to be more Catholic than the Pope. If he has become an expert in technology and education, that is fine. It is OK to write columns. However, he is deluding himself and others. There is something smarmy or artificial about what Vivek did.

3. Vivek reminds me of Dr. Kripal Singh who used to teach Math and Statistics at a school in Tennessee. The man was from Uttar Pradesh. He came to the United States in his late twenties. The man has a strong NI accent.

Professor Singh let Karan Singh a graduate student who was also from Uttar Pradesh stay at his place during the winter break. One day he was mad him for spilling something on the carpet. Dr. Singh shouted at Karan in his broken English with NI accent. "You Indians do not know how to behave..."

BTW one day Dr. Singh showed a desi student a letter he received from a relative in India. It was written in Hindi. He told the student "Can you please tell me what this letter says? I used to know some Hindi but not anymore."

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 26, 2012 1:07 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:The Chinese and Indian students are going to eat our children’s lunch if we continue down this path.

You have not understood basic biology and human psychology. He was from India but now he is here and his kids are HERE - not going back to China or India. Naturally, his mind will think what is good for HIM (here) and his kids in the long run.

Heck Even India does not care about long term welfare of Indians but themselves, why should others be ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat May 26, 2012 1:14 pm

[quote="MulaiAzhagi"]>>VW lives in this country and writes for an american readership. He is trying to get the message across that this country needs to wake up to the competition.

====>

1. If Vivek Wadhwa wanted to say that some schools in China and India will be providing better education to the kids than what a typical American school does, he can do so without losing his integrity.

But why go overboard and say "The Chinese and Indian students are going to eat our children’s lunch if we continue down this path."?

What exactly he means by "our children"? The white, black and hispanic kids in his neighborhood who most likely be referring to him as that man from India?

>>>> Right, right, right. His readership is most concerned about his nationality when they are reading this piece and to keep it all kosher, he should write " the nephews and nieces back in my hometown and the grandchildren of the lady who swept my house when I went to school in India and the relatives of my colleague John Chen in China" will eat "your black, white and hispanic children's lunch".

2. Vivek is trying to be more Catholic than the Pope. If he has become an expert in technology and education, that is fine. It is OK to write columns. However, he is deluding himself and others. There is something smarmy or artificial about what Vivek did.

>>>> I don't think so. I highly doubt that he put all this thought into it to mislead his readership. He is probably used to friends and colleagues saying things like "should we still be in Iraq? what the hell are we doing in afghanistan? vivek will probably vote for romney/obama" This happens to all of us. Should he/we stop them and say, "no, no, I am from india. I am voting only because I am a naturalized citizen" each time to maintain our integrity.

3. Vivek reminds me of Dr. Kripal Singh who used to teach Math and Statistics at a school in Tennessee. The man was from Uttar Pradesh. He came to the United States in his late twenties. The man has a strong NI accent.

Professor Singh let Karan Singh a graduate student who was also from Uttar Pradesh stay at his place during the winter break. One day he was mad him for spilling something on the carpet. Dr. Singh shouted at Karan in his broken English with NI accent. "You Indians do not know how to behave..."

>>>No, now Wadhwa is equal to this random Singh character you know from somewhere in the past who was a jackass?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat May 26, 2012 2:14 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

You have not understood basic biology and human psychology. He was from India but now he is here and his kids are HERE - not going back to China or India. Naturally, his mind will think what is good for HIM (here) and his kids in the long run.

Heck Even India does not care about long term welfare of Indians but themselves, why should others be ?

>>>>Of course he could have said 'kids in india and china are going to eat to your children's lunch and my children's lunch (full disclosure: my children are born to an indian immigrant and therefore not the same as yours, but are affected nevertheless)'. There you go- fixed! Integrity accomplished.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 26, 2012 2:31 pm

Kris wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

>>>>Of course he could have said 'kids in india and china are going to eat to your children's lunch and my children's lunch (full disclosure: my children are born to an indian immigrant and therefore not the same as yours, but are affected nevertheless)'. There you go- fixed! Integrity accomplished.

I don't know what is wrong with YOU Indians. A black, jew, whitie have assumed rights to criticize their ethnic people but a Desi is not allowed to address other Indians can criticize or address other desis as YOU Indians.

But, I agree.... he does sound disingenuous.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down