Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper

+4
Ponniyin Selvan
Jeremiah Mburuburu
Idéfix
Kayalvizhi
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper  Empty Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu May 24, 2012 9:38 pm

This is a paid advertisement for Indian Railways in Tamil newspaper Thinathanthi. Can someone tell me what it says?

Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper  Thinath%2Bthanthi

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper  Empty Re: Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper

Post by Guest Thu May 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:This is a paid advertisement for Indian Railways in Tamil newspaper Thinathanthi. Can someone tell me what it says?

it says that tamil is the greatest language in the world and encourages all hindi speaking north indians to start learning tamil.

Back to top Go down

Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper  Empty Re: Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu May 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Rashmun, If you don't have anything to contribute to the thread, don't post nonsense.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu May 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:This is a paid advertisement for Indian Railways in Tamil newspaper Thinathanthi. Can someone tell me what it says?

Excellent waste of taxpayer money. Kudos to the genius who thought of placing a Hindi ad in a Tamil newspaper!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri May 25, 2012 12:09 am

panini press wrote:

Excellent waste of taxpayer money. Kudos to the genius who thought of placing a Hindi ad in a Tamil newspaper!
not impressed.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Fri May 25, 2012 12:39 am

This is a indian railway ad. on fire safety measures. I guess along the lines of

"small small things result in big accidents".

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 12:39 am

translation:

choti chot vastuyon se hoti hai... -- smal small articles lead to...
...badi badi durghatnain - ...big accidents
rail yatra ke dauraan jwalnasheel padharth saath na rakhen -- pleae do not carry inflammable (jwalnasheel) articles during your rail journey
bhartiya rail -- indian railways
aapki suraksha...hamara dhyay -- your safety...our aim

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Fri May 25, 2012 12:45 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri May 25, 2012 12:41 am

Thanks PS and HK.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 12:43 am

the possibility cannot be ruled out that this hindi advertisment was in a hindi newspaper and the faint words supposedly representing tamil script at the top of the page were in a different paper whereupon Thanjai Nalankilli's legendary photoshop skills were put to good use.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 25, 2012 12:44 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:translation:

rail yatra ke dauraan jwalnasheel padharth saath na rakhen -- pleae do not carry inflammable (jwalnasheel) articles during your rail journey
100 times:

... small small articles lead to big BIG accidents ...
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 12:45 am

panini press wrote:

lol pp X 10^6

aside: i noticed yesterday when i took out my ISC board results to compare them with that of my older that they used to teach us hindi till class 12 in our times -- not anymore. now they teach only up to class 10. also, his math paper was littered with 40% commerce stream questions (statistics etc.) in which my kid sucks. why can't they simply have different papers for science stream and commerce stream? uff!

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 25, 2012 1:06 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:translation:

Proves that naarthies never follow the laws anywhere in the country, and hence the railways must have found it necessary to post an ad in Hindi - the only language the hindiwalas working in the South understand.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 1:08 am

Rashmun wrote:the possibility cannot be ruled out that this hindi advertisment was in a hindi newspaper and the faint words supposedly representing tamil script at the top of the page were in a different paper whereupon Thanjai Nalankilli's legendary photoshop skills were put to good use.

Samiyaar, why are u ruling out the above possibility?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 1:10 am

i personally think the ad is fake. their is no way to confirm that the non-ad text is tamil, even upon magnification. KV, what is the date of this paper? i will have it looked up in a library.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 25, 2012 1:15 am

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:the possibility cannot be ruled out that this hindi advertisment was in a hindi newspaper and the faint words supposedly representing tamil script at the top of the page were in a different paper whereupon Thanjai Nalankilli's legendary photoshop skills were put to good use.

???? it is clearly poor quality photoshopping.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 1:17 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

???? it is clearly poor quality photoshopping.

i was looking at thanjai from KV's point of view.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri May 25, 2012 1:18 am

>> what is the date of this paper?

Either May 24 or 25

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri May 25, 2012 1:20 am

It is not the first time Indian Railways placed Hindi ad in Tamil paper. It did it in 2006 also.

http://www.tamiltribune.com/07/0201.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 1:24 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:It is not the first time Indian Railways placed Hindi ad in Tamil paper. It did it in 2006 also.

Tamil Tribune is not to be trusted. It is a worthless rag.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 1:25 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:It is not the first time Indian Railways placed Hindi ad in Tamil paper. It did it in 2006 also.

KV, since Tamil Tribune is a worthless rag, please give some other source for this other than Tamil Tribune.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri May 25, 2012 1:31 am

Rashmun,

I am not goiung to give you any other reference but any serious person ask in a proper, respectful way, I will.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 1:33 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:Rashmun,

I am not goiung to give you any other reference but any serious person ask I will.

have you ever given any other reference other than the worthless rag Tamil Tribune in the years you have been posting on Sulekha CH? No you have not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 1:35 am

Shame on a Tamil paper to stoop so low and post hindi ads - all this for some ad revenue?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 1:36 am

blabberwock wrote:Shame on a Tamil paper to stoop so low and post hind ads - all this for some ad revenue?

shame on your intelligence for not recognizing a fake ad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 1:40 am

Rashmun wrote:
blabberwock wrote:Shame on a Tamil paper to stoop so low and post hind ads - all this for some ad revenue?

shame on your intelligence for not recognizing a fake ad.

Seriously, I want KV to answer why the largest tamil daily by circulation resorts to such tactics - where is the indignant Tamil Tribune article on that, I ask.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri May 25, 2012 1:47 am

I don't criticize Thinathanthi. Get the Hindian gov money as much as you can. Otherwise it will be given to Sri Lanka to kill and rape Tamils.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 2:12 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:I don't criticize Thinathanthi. Get the Hindian gov money as much as you can. Otherwise it will be given to Sri Lanka to kill and rape Tamils.

Should Sri Lanka unite with India? Would a greater India improve the lot of Tamils in Sri Lanka?

Back to top Go down

Post by FlowerPower Fri May 25, 2012 2:47 am

Dear Kings and Queens of narrow parochialism,

Every country however diverse needs a thread of commanlity to run through it and that thread in our country can and should be a common language because food and culture will be far more difficult to amalgamate.

There is nothing wrong with everyone acquiring a working knowledge of Hindi and I say this as a Tamilian Indian...

FlowerPower

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 2:52 am

FlowerPower wrote:Dear Kings and Queens of narrow parochialism,

Every country however diverse needs a thread of commanlity to run through it and that thread in our country can and should be a common language because food and culture will be far more difficult to amalgamate.

There is nothing wrong with everyone acquiring a working knowledge of Hindi and I say this as a Tamilian Indian...

Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper  459784477 Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper  459784477 Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper  459784477

dear flowerpower sir. take cover now for you are going to be napalmed!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri May 25, 2012 3:40 am

Rashmun wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:I don't criticize Thinathanthi. Get the Hindian gov money as much as you can. Otherwise it will be given to Sri Lanka to kill and rape Tamils.

Should Sri Lanka unite with India? Would a greater India improve the lot of Tamils in Sri Lanka?

>>>Would just end up creating more problems for India, unfortunately.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri May 25, 2012 3:42 am

>>>>Pirabahakaran was a murderous thug! Just guessing..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri May 25, 2012 3:45 am

you are so right na. but why stop at that? every souththiNDian woman should don her glittering lehnga and join her northindian sisters in a dil-deewana dance for their emperror jahangir in his harem. if they're lucky, the emperor may be sufficiently pleased to smile at the dravid gurrlz. moreover, we should strengthen that thread of commonality by stuffing all dosahs with chicken tikka masala, aloo-gobi *and* gobi-aloo (for variety), and ensure that no northindian slurps bucketloads of sambhar when no one is looking.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 3:56 am

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

exactly my sentiments. ditto for pakistan, nepal and bangladesh. otoh, nepal might not be a bad idea (not that they would be willing but hypothetically speaking) from a strategic point of view.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri May 25, 2012 4:08 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

exactly my sentiments. ditto for pakistan, nepal and bangladesh. otoh, nepal might not be a bad idea (not that they would be willing but hypothetically speaking) from a strategic point of view.

>>>Yeah, this empire/nation building, de facto (america in afghanistan) or de jure (german- re-unification), is a tricky and expensive business in this day and age. Germany's digestion problems demonstrates the issues in the best of circumstances i.e. same language, same base culture etc. SL especially would bring in resentment from the sinhalese for obvious reasons and the Tamils will come in with their own conflicts with the sinhalese.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri May 25, 2012 4:19 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

>>>Oh, on Pakistan, they can't even hold themselves together. Partition was probably the best thing that happened to india, in retropsect. Nepal would cause economic digestion problems, but more importantly, China will use all means to preempt it to deny india any long term strategic advantage.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 25, 2012 6:37 am

oh lookie after decades of tireless pracharing, the dakshina bharat hindi prachara sabha produces its most prized idiot yet. welcome to coffeehouse.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 25, 2012 10:18 am

FlowerPower wrote:Every country however diverse needs a thread of commanlity to run through it and that thread in our country can and should be a common language because food and culture will be far more difficult to amalgamate.
I don't follow your logic. Language should be amalgamated because food and culture cannot be? The one does not follow from the other.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 10:20 am

panini press wrote:
FlowerPower wrote:Every country however diverse needs a thread of commanlity to run through it and that thread in our country can and should be a common language because food and culture will be far more difficult to amalgamate.
I don't follow your logic. Language should be amalgamated because food and culture cannot be? The one does not follow from the other.

there used to be a hyderabadi who went around falsely claiming that hyderabadi (also known as hyderabadi dakhini) is fundamentally different from hindi/hindustani.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 25, 2012 10:22 am

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

there used to be a hyderabadi who went around falsely claiming that hyderabadi (also known as hyderabadi dakhini) is fundamentally different from hindi/hindustani.
Thanks for keeping me updated about the latest developments in your mental world. I have no interest in this topic though, so please carry on without me.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 25, 2012 10:24 am

Agree....that is why everyone should embrace hinduism and accept it as the national religion. After all Siva and Vishnu temples are all over India and no one argues when it comes to these temples.

And, I say this as a true Koran-worshipping Musalman.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 25, 2012 10:25 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:now they teach only up to class 10.
Why are they shortening the Common Thread? What do they have against janevus? Is this a conspiracy against Hinduism Hindiism?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 10:29 am

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

Thanks for keeping me updated about the latest developments in your mental world. I have no interest in this topic though, so please carry on without me.

the reason you have no interest in this topic is because you were caught telling lies once again when you went around claiming that hyderabadi is fundamentally different from hindi/hindustani! i have given links to youtube videos depicting hyderabadi poetry sessions and confirming that hyderabadi is fundamentally the same language as hindustani. Moreover the words like kaiku, mereku, tereku in hyderabadi are variations of the colloquial hindi words kaahe ko, mere ko, tere ko. Of course there are a few differences (like the word 'Nakko' meaning 'No' which sounds a lot different from the equivalent hindi word 'Nahin' pronounced 'Nahee') but these are minor in nature.
i would suggest that you stop living in the PP-world, and have the courage to open your eyes to the real world.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 10:33 am

panini press wrote:
Why are they shortening the Common Thread? What do they have against janevus? Is this a conspiracy against Hinduism Hindiism?

the idea is for everyone to have a rudimentary knowledge of hindi/hindustani so that everyone in India can at least communicate with one another. Your father understood this a lot better than you when he addressed the autowalah in Chennai in either Hindustani or a variation of Hindustani(Hyderabadi Dakhini) when he visited that city with you once (as per your own claim).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 10:36 am

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

the idea is for everyone to have a rudimentary knowledge of hindi/hindustani so that everyone in India can at least communicate with one another. Your father understood this a lot better than you when he addressed the autowalah in Chennai in either Hindustani or a variation of Hindustani(Hyderabadi Dakhini) when he visited that city with you once (as per your own claim).

could it be that your father will side with me in our argument over the importance of Hindustani?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 10:40 am

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

from what i recollect, the first time you narrated this story on Sulekha you had said your father addressed the auto walah in hindi. Than later, which i reminded you of this incident on this forum, the hindi conveniently changed to hyderabadi.
it makes zero sense for a knowledgeable person like your father to communicate with the chennai auto walah in hyderabadi because he would know that hyderabadi is a local dialect i.e. a local variation of hindustani. it makes more sense to believe that he addressed the auto walah in hindi/hindustani.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 25, 2012 10:50 am

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 10:52 am

referring to factual details hardly makes for an ad-hominem attack.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 25, 2012 10:59 am

Rashmun wrote:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ad%20hominem

1ad ho·mi·nem

adj \(ˈ)ad-ˈhä-mə-ˌnem, -nəm\

1: appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect

2: marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made

If you have an answer to my question to FlowerPower, feel free to post it. Otherwise, I have no interest in your theatrics.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 11:02 am

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ad%20hominem

1ad ho·mi·nem

adj \(ˈ)ad-ˈhä-mə-ˌnem, -nəm\

1: appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect

2: marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made

If you have an answer to my question to FlowerPower, feel free to post it. Otherwise, I have no interest in your theatrics.

i am referring to a specific incident narrated by you. in this incident your father spoke to an auto walah in Chennai in either hindi/hindustani or in a variation of hindustani(hyderabadi or hyderabadi dakhini). i am not questioning anyone's character. in fact i am being supportive of your father's views.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 25, 2012 11:36 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:Rashmun,

I am not goiung to give you any other reference but any serious person ask in a proper, respectful way, I will.
I hereby respectfully ask you in a proper way to give any other reference to this. I am a serious person.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next