Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learning Tamil through Hindi: Taking Tamil to the Hindi heartland

+2
Propagandhi711
Hellsangel
6 posters

Go down

Learning Tamil through Hindi: Taking Tamil to the Hindi heartland Empty Learning Tamil through Hindi: Taking Tamil to the Hindi heartland

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:52 pm

After graduating and post graduating in Hindi, Sundaram took up the post of lecturer in Raja's College, Pudukkottai. This proved to be a turning point in Sundaram's life, for it was here that he met Sanskrit scholar Pudukottai A. Srinivasa Raghavan. “Srinivasa Raghavan asked me to study the Divya Prabandham, and later suggested that I do my Ph.D in Hindi, making a comparative study of Andal and Meera.”

Translating Andal's works into Hindi was not easy. Sundaram came up with Sanskrit equivalents for Tamil terms, but it was important to find the Hindi equivalents. “My guide at Jabalpur University, Dr. Udaynarayan Tiwari, helped me.”...

While Sundaram's mentor, Srinivasa Raghavan, had already translated Divya Prabandham into Hindi, Tamil Saivite literature remained untouched. When Sundaram was asked by Visva Bharati, Santiniketan, to do it, he welcomed the opportunity. His translations of Tiruvachagam, Appar's and Sundarar's verses have been published. The manuscript for the translation of Gnanasambandar's work is ready...

Sundaram is at a loss to understand why language should be a bone of contention. There's been so much give and take between languages, that there is no need to fight, he feels. “In Karnataka, there is a sect of Brahmins in areas like Subrahmanya, Ramanaathapura and Rudrapatnam, who speak a very old language called Sankethi. It is a combination of Tamil and Kannada. These people are great Sanskrit and Kannada scholars, but at home they speak Sankethi. Their contribution to Kannada matches that of the Mandayam Iyengars, whose love for Tamil Vaishnavite literature is well known,” he observes.

To omit bhakti literature while talking of Tamil literature is unacceptable to him. “Let's keep politics out of literature,” he says. He writes a column for a Hindi daily called ‘Learning Tamil through Hindi.' “There's been an excellent response to the column.”

His ambition? To translate Sangam works like Ettuthogai, Pathupaattu and Padinenkeezhkanakku.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2010/10/29/stories/2010102950420300.htm

Back to top Go down

Learning Tamil through Hindi: Taking Tamil to the Hindi heartland Empty Re: Learning Tamil through Hindi: Taking Tamil to the Hindi heartland

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:53 pm

In my opinion all Indians need to be multi-lingual. We must leverage the opportunity to learn different Indian languages.

Back to top Go down

Learning Tamil through Hindi: Taking Tamil to the Hindi heartland Empty Re: Learning Tamil through Hindi: Taking Tamil to the Hindi heartland

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:13 pm

In your opinion, how many Indian languages do you speak?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:36 pm

Hellsangel wrote:In your opinion, how many Indian languages do you speak?

why, I would assume all the fowl languages

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:In your opinion, how many Indian languages do you speak?

why, I would assume all the fowl languages

Oh! He speaks foul language for sure.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:33 pm

Rashmun wrote:After graduating and post graduating in Hindi, Sundaram took up the post of lecturer in Raja's College, Pudukkottai. This proved to be a turning point in Sundaram's life, for it was here that he met Sanskrit scholar Pudukottai A. Srinivasa Raghavan. “Srinivasa Raghavan asked me to study the Divya Prabandham, and later suggested that I do my Ph.D in Hindi, making a comparative study of Andal and Meera.”

Translating Andal's works into Hindi was not easy. Sundaram came up with Sanskrit equivalents for Tamil terms, but it was important to find the Hindi equivalents. “My guide at Jabalpur University, Dr. Udaynarayan Tiwari, helped me.”...

While Sundaram's mentor, Srinivasa Raghavan, had already translated Divya Prabandham into Hindi, Tamil Saivite literature remained untouched. When Sundaram was asked by Visva Bharati, Santiniketan, to do it, he welcomed the opportunity. His translations of Tiruvachagam, Appar's and Sundarar's verses have been published. The manuscript for the translation of Gnanasambandar's work is ready...

Sundaram is at a loss to understand why language should be a bone of contention. There's been so much give and take between languages, that there is no need to fight, he feels. “In Karnataka, there is a sect of Brahmins in areas like Subrahmanya, Ramanaathapura and Rudrapatnam, who speak a very old language called Sankethi. It is a combination of Tamil and Kannada. These people are great Sanskrit and Kannada scholars, but at home they speak Sankethi. Their contribution to Kannada matches that of the Mandayam Iyengars, whose love for Tamil Vaishnavite literature is well known,” he observes.

To omit bhakti literature while talking of Tamil literature is unacceptable to him. “Let's keep politics out of literature,” he says. He writes a column for a Hindi daily called ‘Learning Tamil through Hindi.' “There's been an excellent response to the column.”

His ambition? To translate Sangam works like Ettuthogai, Pathupaattu and Padinenkeezhkanakku.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2010/10/29/stories/2010102950420300.htm

Language never ceases to be the subject of debate and controversy. Will literary discourse through translations of great works from one Indian language to another help? Yes, says Dr. N. Sundaram, retired Professor of Hindi, Presidency College, Chennai. After all, Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan said, “Indian literature is one, although written in many languages.” Sundaram's mother tongue is Kannada, but he has, through his Hindi translations of Tamil literary works, taken Tamil to the Hindi heartland.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-fridayreview/article855686.ece

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Rashmun wrote:In my opinion all Indians need to be multi-lingual. We must leverage the opportunity to learn different Indian languages.

many of us already are multi-lingual. i suggest you stand in front of a mirror, look into it, and read what you wrote out aloud.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:52 pm

Rashmun wrote:In my opinion all Indians need to be multi-lingual. We must leverage the opportunity to learn different Indian languages.

i am amazed, really amazed that you can say that with a straight face with not an iota of a sense of irony or shame!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:56 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

many of us already are multi-lingual. i suggest you stand in front of a mirror, look into it, and read what you wrote out aloud.

The argument in this thread is about policy decisions with respect to education in India. It is not about individuals.

Speaking for myself: it is true that i can only speak english and hindi. Having said that, there are several other Indian languages which i can understand (although not speak). Just because i did not get the opportunity to learn other languages does not mean that the younger generation should have to go through the same curriculum. Furthermore, it should be appreciated that i suffered from a severe speech impediment in my younger days. My priority was to cure my speech problem* and not learn how to speak multiple languages.

*for which i received very little help from the various speech therapists i consulted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

The argument in this thread is about policy decisions with respect to education in India. It is not about individuals.

Speaking for myself: it is true that i can only speak english and hindi. Having said that, there are several other Indian languages which i can understand (although not speak). Just because i did not get the opportunity to learn other languages does not mean that the younger generation should have to go through the same curriculum. Furthermore, it should be appreciated that i suffered from a severe speech impediment in my younger days. My priority was to cure my speech problem* and not learn how to speak multiple languages.

*for which i received very little help from the various speech therapists i consulted.

You stuttered?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:23 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

thankfully the speech impediment is in your past. get learning tamil NOW. every time you advocate multi lingualism for indians, expect this to be thrown back at you.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:24 pm

I do not see any purpose in Taking Tamil to Hindi heartland. There is no use for Tamil there. It is a useless language there except for a few who want to learn a new language and literature.

Instead force Hindians coming to work in TN to learn Tamil.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:I do not see any purpose in Taking Tamil to Hindi heartland. There is no use for Tamil there. It is a useless language there except for a few who want to learn a new language and literature.

There is no such word as Hindian. The correct word for a person whose first language is Hindi is Hindustani or Hindavi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindustani_people

Tamil Tribune, as always, is wrong again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:I do not see any purpose in Taking Tamil to Hindi heartland. There is no use for Tamil there. It is a useless language there except for a few who want to learn a new language and literature.

There is no such word as Hindian. The correct word for a person whose first language is Hindi is Hindustani or Hindavi:

Wiktionary says otherwise. This forum overwhelmingly voted that you are one.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:35 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Wiktionary says otherwise. This forum overwhelmingly voted that you are one.

this reminds me of the saying 'one fool can ask more questions than ten wise men can answer'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:38 pm

Rashmun wrote:

this reminds me of the saying 'one fool can ask more questions than ten wise men can answer'.

In this case it would be slightly modified to:

One fool can post more copy-paste articles than ten wise men can vote.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

In this case it would be slightly modified to:

One fool can post more copy-paste articles than ten wise men can vote.

Wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:57 pm

Yes.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:09 pm

goodcitizn wrote:

Yes.

Every Indian should be able to read kambaramayanam in the original. Why must you be so selfish?

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:18 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Yes.

Every Indian should be able to read kambaramayanam in the original. Why must you be so selfish?

i suggest every hindian learn to pronounce 'sambaar" correctly before pursuing higher quests.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:29 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Yes.

i suggest every hindian learn to pronounce 'sambaar" correctly before attempting higher quests.

The claim is made that sambar should actually be pronounced as sambhar. The reason for this is that the dish is said to have been invented by the Marathas who pronounce the dish as sambhar. When I was in Thanjavur I was told that the traditional food of the locals was rice and honey and that it was only after the Marathas came that there was a dramatic difference in the local cuisine.

-------------
The origins of this dish are uncertain, although legend has that it originated in the kitchen of Thanjavur Marathas ruler Shahuji, during the 18th century from the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu.[1] It is believed that Shahji had a liking for a dish called amti which had kokum as one of its main ingredients. In one particular season, the kokum which was imported from the Maratha homeland ran out of supply and someone suggested to him that the locals used tamarind pulp for sourness. Shahji experimented the dish with the pigeon peas, vegetables, spices and the tamarind pulp served his coterie and his cousin, Sambhaji who was visiting him. The court liked the dish and named it sambhar after the guest of the day, Sambhaji.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambar_(dish)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down