Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learning Tamil through Hindi (an enjoyable tutorial)

+4
Idéfix
Merlot Daruwala
goodcitizn
MaxEntropy_Man
8 posters

Go down

Learning Tamil through Hindi (an enjoyable tutorial) Empty Learning Tamil through Hindi (an enjoyable tutorial)

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:05 pm

From what I can tell it is easier for someone who knows Hindi to pick up tamil as compared to someone who knows only English.

Back to top Go down

Learning Tamil through Hindi (an enjoyable tutorial) Empty Re: Learning Tamil through Hindi (an enjoyable tutorial)

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Some of the tamil characters seem overly complicated compared to their Hindi counterparts.

Back to top Go down

Learning Tamil through Hindi (an enjoyable tutorial) Empty Re: Learning Tamil through Hindi (an enjoyable tutorial)

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:46 pm

feel free to not post updates every two minutes. once a week progress report is sufficient.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:49 pm

also learning one language through another is a fool's errand. learn by talking to malini.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am

Rashmun wrote:Some of the tamil characters seem overly complicated compared to their Hindi counterparts.

This is character assassination! We, the people of Tamil Nadu, won't tolerate that from Hindians!!! Wink

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:19 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Some of the tamil characters seem overly complicated compared to their Hindi counterparts.

This is character assassination! We, the people of Tamil Nadu, won't tolerate that from Hindians!!! Wink

GC-saar, are you seriously objecting to Hindian characters being seen as somewhat simple??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:22 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

GC-saar, are you seriously objecting to Hindian characters being seen as somewhat simple??
rofl
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:34 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Nephew, my concern is that such Hindian characters could develop a complex from prolonged association with their southern cousins the ugly batachlings.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 am

goodcitizn wrote:Nephew, my concern is that such Hindian characters could develop a complex.
Ah, too late to worry about that now, isn't it?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:34 am

panini press wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Nephew, my concern is that such Hindian characters could develop a complex.
Ah, too late to worry about that now, isn't it?

Ha ha, true! And a dollar short.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:54 am

Rashmun wrote:

From what I can tell it is easier for someone who knows Hindi to pick up tamil as compared to someone who knows only English.

>>>> Probably, but to pick up conversational ability, immersion is the best way to go. I have a bit of experience with French in this. My first teacher was a guy from Pondicherry. I just read the words like they were English words. Going to a conversational class taught by a French national who forced the class to speak in French made a huge difference. She didn't speak much English which was also a big help.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Motor_Mouth Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:24 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:also learning one language through another is a fool's errand. learn by talking to malini.

Admin must jump in and serve notice to Maxentropy_Man for using a real name in this thread.

Motor_Mouth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:33 am

[Name deleted by Admin] is not [Name deleted by Admin]'s real name. it is only her purported real name. her real name is [Name deleted by Admin].

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:13 pm

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

>>>> Probably, but to pick up conversational ability, immersion is the best way to go. I have a bit of experience with French in this. My first teacher was a guy from Pondicherry. I just read the words like they were English words. Going to a conversational class taught by a French national who forced the class to speak in French made a huge difference. She didn't speak much English which was also a big help.

Thank you. I agree with what you say with respect to conversational tamil, but to read and write tamil I prefer the Hindi --> Tamil approach. Works for me. I also liked the way of teaching of this particular instructor. The video I gave is one of several 'learning tamil through Hindi' videos in which the same instructor features.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:17 pm

rashmun, when will you ready for your first quiz on tamil?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:21 pm

bw wrote:rashmun, when will you ready for your first quiz on tamil?

Maybe 2 years from now.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 pm

Rashmun wrote:

Maybe 2 years from now.

c'mon, i assume you are using this tutorial. the first quiz will be based on this tutorial. 2 years for that? bah!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:25 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Maybe 2 years from now.

c'mon, i assume you are using these tutorials. the first quiz will be based on these tutorials. 2 years for that? bah!

Do you have any interest in the Sicilian mafia in the U.S.? If you wish I could post a quiz on this topic especially for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:32 pm

Rashmun wrote:

Do you have any interest in the Sicilian mafia in the U.S.? If you wish I could post a quiz on this topic especially for you.

i don't know a whole lot - i saw this DVD on carlos marcello at the library and was tempted to check it out. maybe i will.

why don't you post a quiz anyway? there are others who will enjoy it.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:46 pm

Rashmjun, try to read this with that hindi tutor.

This was a slogan heard during Kudangkulam agitatioin

இந்திய நாடு வெளி நாடு,
தமிழ் நாடு தான் நம் நாடு.

I agree with the above.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:51 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Rashmjun, try to read this with that hindi tutor.

இந்திய நாடு வெளி நாடு,

I agree with the above.

What is the meaning of the slogan? "Down with Hindi"?

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:16 am

Rashmun wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:Rashmjun, try to read this with that hindi tutor.

இந்திய நாடு வெளி நாடு,

I agree with the above.

What is the meaning of the slogan? "Down with Hindi"?

KV is a lost cause. Here's the translation:

India is a foreign country

Tamil Nadu is our country

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:22 am

Here is nother slogan from Kudangkulam agitation (you can see on you tube)

இந்திய நாடு வெளி நாடு,
இந்திய நாயே வெளியேறு!

I do not endorse the name calling in that slogan.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:39 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:Here is nother slogan from Kudangkulam agitation (you can see on you tube)

இந்திய நாடு வெளி நாடு,
இந்திய நாயே வெளியேறு!

I do not endorse the name calling in that slogan.

It is Kudankulam. The agitation is meaningless since the nuclear plant will help solve the power shortage crisis that has been plaguing Tamil Nadu, not to mention jobs for the people. This mob mentality is not something to rave about. I might have some sympathy if the protest was about ensuring safety and to demand for stringent safety regulations and inspections.

Forget the name-calling, the very message is pathetically stupid:

Indian dog, get out

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:42 am

goodcitizn wrote:I might have some sympathy if the protest was about ensuring safety and to demand for stringent safety regulations and inspections.

The protest Is about safety.

For me it is also about sovereignty of Tamil Nadu. Decision should be made in TN not in Delhi.

goodcitizn wrote:

Indian dog, get out

'

Explain

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:49 am

goodcitizn wrote:It is Kudankulam. The agitation is meaningless since the nuclear plant will help solve the power shortage crisis that has been plaguing Tamil Nadu, not to mention jobs for the people. This mob mentality is not something to rave about.

Gasp. You, Unkil, are now blaspheming against the holy cow of this forum - the voice of the people. What you sneeringly dismiss as mob mentality is worshipped here as the essence of democracy. Those who cite power shortages are just anti-people agents paid by the government to parrot those lines. Why should there be power shortages in the state of TN, blessed so generously with so much sunlight and wind?? With your chalta hai attitude, you have betrayed your contempt for the people of Tamil Nadu who have awakened to their rights. Stop belittling that most beautiful awakening of people power. Rejoice instead in the blooming of so many Tahrir Squares in our own backyard. Else the wrath of TBT, arch-worshipper of awakened peoples everywhere, shall descend upon you.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:00 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:I might have some sympathy if the protest was about ensuring safety and to demand for stringent safety regulations and inspections.

The protest Is about safety.

For me it is also about sovereignty of Tamil Nadu. Decision should be made in TN not in Delhi.

goodcitizn wrote:

Indian dog, get out

'

Explain

What is there to explain? Except for two minor parties, PMK and MDMK, all other parties support the urgent need for a power plant in Tamil Nadu in view of the extreme power shortage. PMANE stands for People's Movement Against Nuclear Energy which is the basis for these fear-mongers to launch their protests, shouting anti-Indian slogans. If they are truly concerned about safety, they have a legal right to approach the state or the court system to demand stringent regulations and inspections from the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board. Instead, they promote fear among the locals and instigate anti government violence.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:07 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:It is Kudankulam. The agitation is meaningless since the nuclear plant will help solve the power shortage crisis that has been plaguing Tamil Nadu, not to mention jobs for the people. This mob mentality is not something to rave about.

Gasp. You, Unkil, are now blaspheming against the holy cow of this forum - the voice of the people. What you sneeringly dismiss as mob mentality is worshipped here as the essence of democracy. Those who cite power shortages are just anti-people agents paid by the government to parrot those lines. Why should there be power shortages in the state of TN, blessed so generously with so much sunlight and wind?? With your chalta hai attitude, you have betrayed your contempt for the people of Tamil Nadu who have awakened to their rights. Stop belittling that most beautiful awakening of people power. Rejoice instead in the blooming of so many Tahrir Squares in our own backyard. Else the wrath of TBT, arch-worshipper of awakened peoples everywhere, shall descend upon you.

Ha ha ha, Nephew! I didn't expect that curve ball re' TBT. I don't think he'd arch-worship this event. That said, were he to endorse the protests of PMK and MDMK, I'd gently remind him -- the way I have done with KV -- to take up kite surfing so that he could go fly a kite and jump into the lake at the same time.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:29 am

I am not against nuclear plants or nuclear weapons. They are safe to a great degree if desgned and constructed/ made correctly. However they do have a failure probability that can be madee as low as reasonable.

Atomic Energy Regulatory Board's own safety standards are not followed. In fact indian gov admits it. Their answer is we cannot satisfy all immmediately. Then postpone the operation.

The TN plant does not meet the standards met by Rajastan plant. Is it becauswe Rajastan is closed to Hindi states and TN is far away?

I do not know anything about this plant safety report. So I cannot comment on it.

But I know that Abdul Kalam cannot tour the plant for 3 hours and say the plant is safe.

I ask why not a US plant design instead of Russian design. US designs are open but Russia's are not.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:45 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:I am not against nuclear plants or nuclear weapons. I probably know more about them and you. They are safe if desgned and constructed/ made correctly.

Atomic Energy Regulatory Board's own safety standards are not followed. In fact indian gov admits it. Their answer is we cannot satisfy all immmediately. Then postpone the operation.

The TN plant does not meet the standards met by Rajastan plant. Is it becauswe Rajastan is closed to Hindi states and TN is far away?

I do not know anything about this plant safety report. So I cannot comment on it.

But I know that Abdul Kalam cannot tour the plant for 3 hours and say the plant is safe.

I ask why not a US plant design instead of Russian design. US designs are open but Russia's are not.

Don't you see how ridiculous you sound? If you know more about nuclear plants than me, then should you not be knowledgeable about the safety report on this plant before you endorse violence? Do you think that India has taken the design from Chernobyl? Ever heard of the Three Mile Island incident? Also, let me know what Thanjai Nalankilli has to say about it.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:59 am

>> then should you not be knowledgeable about the safety report on this plant

If someone mail a copy to me, I will look at it. >> Do you think that India has taken the design from Chernobyl? Ever heard of the Three Mile Island incident?

Three Mile Island incident is no Chernobyl accident.

>> Abdul Kalam cannot tour the plant for 3 hours and say the plant is safe.

If he can convince US Nucl Regulatory Commissionb his ability to do so, I am willingf hire him as a consultant at USD 9 million per hour.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 am

>> before you endorse violence?

What violence?> When, where did I endorse violence at Kudangkulam? Show me now or people here will conclude you lie.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:20 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> before you endorse violence?

What violence?> When, where did I endorse violence at Kudangkulam? Show me now or people here will conclude you lie.

You brought up Kundalulam, not me, (albeit completely unrelated to this thread) with your endorsement of the slogan, "India is a foreign country" by the agitators who have resorted to violence, like attacking the local police station, if their demands are not met. I forgot ... you also endorse LTTE but deny any endorsement to the violence it caused on its own people. Don't worry about the people here. They know how truthful you are.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:10 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:>> before you endorse violence?

You brought up Kundalulam, not me, (albeit completely unrelated to this thread) with your endorsement of the slogan, "India is a foreign country" by the agitators who have resorted to violence, like attacking the local police station, if their demands are not met. I forgot ... you also endorse LTTE but deny any endorsement to the violence it caused on its own people. Don't worry about the people here. They know how truthful you are.

Here's link for you: http://www.globalgovernancenews.com/News-Full.aspx?id=NEWS-20120911150934605

Excerpt:

In February, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had blamed some US-based NGOs for being a spanner in the works while launching the Kudankulam N-plant in Tamil Nadu. The Government had also probed fundings of around 12 to 13 Indian voluntary organisations which were launching the protest movement in Kudankulam.

SP Udaya Kumar, convener, People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE), said he was happy to note that the agitation was progressing on expected lines.

Since early morning, nearly 2,000 activists of the anti-nuclear brigade tried to lay siege to the KNPP to press for their demands for closure of the Rs 17,000 crore plant.

They tried in vain to set up a shamiana in the sanitised area near the power plant which was foiled by the police.

The district administration had deployed a massive contingent of police and Rapid Action Force (RAF). Though senior police officers asked them to disperse, the activists did not heed their pleas. The police resorted to mild lathicharging and firing of tear gas shells to disperse the anti-nuke protesters, who again tried to lay siege to the nuclear power plant here demanding a halt to the loading of enriched uranium in the reactor.

The district authorities had made elaborate arrangements to meet any emergencies. All mainline political parties had made their stance clear that the KNPP has their support.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa appealed to the people not to fall prey to the anti-nuclear lobby.Expressing shock over the death of a fisherman, she said the nuclear plant was safe.

Jayalalithaa, who had been considerate to the apprehensions raised by the PMANE, got it studied and analysed by a committee of experts. The group headed by former Atomic Energy Commission chairman MR Srinivasan had told the Chief Minister that the 1,000 MW plant was safe and secure.

“The Chief Minister had ordered the stoppage of all works in KNPP when the agitators sent a letter to her. The green signal was issued only after she was convinced of the safety of the plant. Now that the Madras High Court too has given a clean chit to the plant, there is no chance of the Chief Minister caving in to the demands of the PMANE. She wants the commissioning of the plant at the earliest so as to relieve the State from the severe power shortage,” said a source close to the Chief Minister.

BS Gnanadesikan, president, Tamil Nadu Congress Committee, said the activities of the PMANE should be thoroughly probed. “They are a group of anti-national activists supported by some Tamil chauvinistic groups. There is strong evidence of them getting financial support from abroad. All major political parties in Tamil Nadu are unanimous in their demand for the early commissioning of the plant. The anti-nuclear activists are instigating the common man with fear psychosis,” he said.

Gnanadesikan pointed out that Udaya Kumar, the PMANE leader, is following the style of LTTE leader V Prabhakaran by surrounding himself with women and children. “There are more than 210 FIRs filed against him and he still roams free. The police do not want a bloodbath, which explains why he is a free bird,” said the TNCC supremo.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Goddcitizen,

Ylou posted that I endorce violence in Kudangkulam. I never did. I challenged you to point where and when I did. You cannot. So you cut and post a long news. Does it say I endorced violence? No.

So all I can say is you lied. People in this forum can never believe what you post. Case closed.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down