Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

They should build apartments like this in India, will solve the housing crisis

4 posters

Go down

They should build apartments like this in India, will solve the housing crisis Empty They should build apartments like this in India, will solve the housing crisis

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:01 pm

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp=48188395#48188395

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

They should build apartments like this in India, will solve the housing crisis Empty Re: They should build apartments like this in India, will solve the housing crisis

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:09 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp=48188395#48188395

The lower middle class lived like this 50 years ago, and the centre-middle class is also beginning to live like this in India and China.

But, this will never fly in in US - other than cramped downtown cities like NYC, Boston, SF - where people like everything big and the 40 yr old couple simply need 120 sq ft to even stand.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

They should build apartments like this in India, will solve the housing crisis Empty Re: They should build apartments like this in India, will solve the housing crisis

Post by Maria S Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:21 pm

Sara,

Are you really surprised?

This is not a new idea- it is ancient as it gets..and have you been to the zillion new "affordable-living spaces"(modern flats) all over Chennai..which are between 400-450 sq. feet? I certainly have..and only when there are children and older people/people with disabilities who need more space to move around it can obviously create problems..otherwise, don't see why a single person, a couple can't manage- it's better than commuting for 3-4 hours a day.

Obviously it's not ideal..but, it is what it is.

Even in the US- where everything is "big or supersized"..beyond the affordability..there are folks like me, who always liked smaller homes (I prefer a bigger yard..for gardening..and just spending time outside- esp. since we always had pets..than a house with lots of sq.feet).

*I think Kris was asking about rental properties in Chennai..knowing what I know..it all depends on who manages it-the renters etc. I have had headaches and had to seek legal assistance..and also have some good experiences. The key is people who watch the rental agencies..and make unannounced visits..otherwise, people misrepresent..what's going on there.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Maria S wrote:Sara,

*I think Kris was asking about rental properties in Chennai..knowing what I know..it all depends on who manages it-the renters etc. I have had headaches and had to seek legal assistance..and also have some good experiences. The key is people who watch the rental agencies..and make unannounced visits..otherwise, people misrepresent..what's going on there.

>>> Some of the builders I am talking to also manage properties. On the ones I have/had before, I set it up so the rents flowed into a bank account and my brother was taking care of the maintenance. I had two in a newly built complex, so the maintenance issues weren't much of an issue luckily. This time I will be going with a rental management outfit. I think it is a bit unfair to rely on my brother since it takes time away from his schedule.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:51 pm

*All the properties I am mentioned are "actively managed" by reputed rental management companies. I meant that relatives/friends one trusts..to just keep an eye on them from time to time.

It's too much for any relative or friend to take over day to day management. It's still a good idea and for the most part things are fine (did not mean to scare anyone). But, thought I should mention the occasional headaches, and even with contracts, which can cause legal problems-takes time and money to resolve.

If your brother just keeps an eye..it should be fine!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down