Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a conversation between verghese kurien & lal bahadur shastri

5 posters

Go down

a conversation between verghese kurien & lal bahadur shastri Empty a conversation between verghese kurien & lal bahadur shastri

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:04 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lzD4axhY_wk&feature=endscreen

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

a conversation between verghese kurien & lal bahadur shastri Empty Re: a conversation between verghese kurien & lal bahadur shastri

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:13 pm

Too scripted. Sounds more like a self-glorifying, after-the-event reconstruction of what Kurien wanted to say to the PM than what he actually said.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

a conversation between verghese kurien & lal bahadur shastri Empty Re: a conversation between verghese kurien & lal bahadur shastri

Post by Guest Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lzD4axhY_wk&feature=endscreen
why this focus on verghese kurien and not other stalwarts who have died in the recent past? you think we are not able to aptly focus and need your crass hocus pocus? would that be because he is syrian christian?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:21 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Too scripted. Sounds more like a self-glorifying, after-the-event reconstruction of what Kurien wanted to say to the PM than what he actually said.
I suspect this was the TV series Doordarshan did on Shastriji back in the '90s. As far as I know, Kurien's Hindi wassn't as free of a southern Indian accent as portrayed here.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:23 pm

BTW, there aren't many better portrayals of the White Revolution in India than Shyam Benegal's Manthan. You can watch it all on YouTube in many parts. The entire movie was funded through the donations of the members of the Amul cooperatives -- with individual donations as small as one rupee.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:24 pm

Here is the first part on YouTube.

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:09 am

panini press wrote:You can watch it all on YouTube in many parts. The entire movie was funded through the donations of the members of the Amul cooperatives -- with individual donations as small as one rupee.
thanks! i tried getting the dvd yesterday but couldn't. nice to hear i can watch it on youtube (i never saw manthan). btw, the donation was rs 2 not rs 1. Razz all the cooperative members were given a choice -- take rs 2 less and become a producer. it was first released in anand, gujarat, in 16 mm and was an instant hit (obviously -- the producers wanted to watch it). later kurien wanted to use the film to usher in the cooperative movement in other parts of the country by showing farmers, through the film, what the cooperative could do to their lives. that is when shyam benegal released it as a full fledged feature film.

related: https://such.forumotion.com/t257p300-what-are-you-listening-to-right-now#59566

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:08 am

a conversation between verghese kurien & lal bahadur shastri Amul-kurien-3

lmao @ http://twitpic.com/at8yu9

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:59 am

panini press wrote:BTW, there aren't many better portrayals of the White Revolution in India than Shyam Benegal's Manthan. You can watch it all on YouTube in many parts. The entire movie was funded through the donations of the members of the Amul cooperatives -- with individual donations as small as one rupee.

>>>>It is an excellent flick. Saw it years ago, still fresh in my mind.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:18 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lzD4axhY_wk&feature=endscreen
why this focus on verghese kurien and not other stalwarts who have died in the recent past? you think we are not able to aptly focus and need your crass hocus pocus? would that be because he is syrian christian?
your post would have been a work of considerable literary merit, had you only been able to work the word "locus" into it.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:02 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
your post would have been a work of considerable literary merit, had you only been able to work the word "locus" into it.
you can go read the works of ordinary mortals like salmon gundy for that. or arundhateriki roy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:00 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
i wrote this to a south asian lit. listserv once. hope you likes the locus pocus here. Smile

Where there is a Will, Ann hath-a-way.

What's the pun intended? I don't get it. Rasik, will you please come again? (When I was in college in America, I used to sometimes have difficulty understanding the americanized accents of these american girls. I used to interrupt them and say, 'excuse me, will you please come again...' And they'd wince at me and say, ' Are you kiddin? not here!', every time, every bloody single time they'd say this. Often I was tempted to shout at them, 'If not here then where, where, tell me!', but I don't know what held me back. And then when I asked someone what the girls meant by 'not here'? I was told that they, in fact, punned. But I never got it. I mean what fun is a pun rasik if meaning there is none. What good is all this lund fund when my mun only wants to run but no one will explain, no one will come again and my sorry head goes tun tana tun, O darn, take a gun, shoot me, pun and paan, hun and hahn, bun and bahn (chod), sun and saand (bull!), run and raand (whore!), gun and gaand (yeeech!) and all antu parantus, kintu vintus, iska matlab kiya hai, uska sandhi karo, iska translation nikalo anubadh karo aunbadham prastoot karo, hamein angrezi sikhao) Shorry pholks feeling phlippant again. It's the cough syrup this time, no doubt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:03 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
panini press wrote:You can watch it all on YouTube in many parts. The entire movie was funded through the donations of the members of the Amul cooperatives -- with individual donations as small as one rupee.
thanks! i tried getting the dvd yesterday but couldn't. nice to hear i can watch it on youtube (i never saw manthan). btw, the donation was rs 2 not rs 1. Razz all the cooperative members were given a choice -- take rs 2 less and become a producer.
Oh, that's right, Rs. 2. I remember reading that the total budget was a ridiculously small number like 1 lakh or 2 lakhs.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:20 pm

"Huzefa Kapasii wrote this to a south asian lit. listserv once. hope you likes the locus pocus here. Smile

[quote]Where there is a Will, Ann hath-a-way.

What's the pun intended? I don't get it. Rasik, will you please come again? (When I was in college in America, I used to sometimes have difficulty understanding the americanized accents of these american girls. I used to interrupt them and say, 'excuse me, will you please come again...' And they'd wince at me and say, ' Are you kiddin? not here!', every time, every bloody single time they'd say this. Often I was tempted to shout at them, 'If not here then where, where, tell me!', but I don't know what held me back. And then when I asked someone what the girls meant by 'not here'? I was told that they, in fact, punned. But I never got it. I mean what fun is a pun rasik if meaning there is none. What good is all this lund fund when my mun only wants to run but no one will explain, no one will come again and my sorry head goes tun tana tun, O darn, take a gun, shoot me, pun and paan, hun and hahn, bun and bahn (chod), sun and saand (bull!), run and raand (whore!), gun and gaand (yeeech!) and all antu parantus, kintu vintus, iska matlab kiya hai, uska sandhi karo, iska translation nikalo anubadh karo aunbadham prastoot karo, hamein angrezi likhao) Shorry pholks feeling phlippant again. It's the cough syrup this time, no doubt.
kapasi, i have no idea what you mean by any of the above. it's probably the most futile attempt at humour that i've come across. despite a self-deprecating account of your conversations with american girls when you were at college in the u.s., there's neither humour nor pun here.

there was no pun in those girls saying "not here" to your "will you please come again?" the person who told you that it was a pun was wrong; he must have been northindian. many indians, esp northindians, think that "pun" means "fun," and that saying "pun" for "fun" is humorous. moreover, rhyming words - see the words in bold text in your asinine chatter above - don't make a pun. a pun is a clever joke that takes advantage of different interpretations of the same word or different meanings of words that sound the same.

there have only been three northindians who ever understood puns; all three are dead now.

here's a pun that i saw on a sign in a pizza restaurant, and remains in my memory: "please buy our pizza; we knead the dough."

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:43 pm

blah blah blah
there have only been three northindians who ever understood puns; all three are dead now.

They must have listened to you drone on and on and died of boredom.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:46 pm

JM, come again please.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:07 pm

lol! nats and HA.

JM, professor sir, i am humbled by your incisive critique. i shall submit another submission with proper pun pana puns sir! please to forgive my earlier errors which might have been by omission or commission (i am not sure).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down