Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rashmun/panini or other urdu experts

4 posters

Go down

rashmun/panini or other urdu experts Empty rashmun/panini or other urdu experts

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:25 pm

when does one use thum versus aap? in the movie ijaazat the male protagonist addresses his wife alternately as thum and aap, whereas he always addresses the other women as thum. is this relationship based or context based? or is it totally random? or is it a hindi versus urdu thing?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

rashmun/panini or other urdu experts Empty Re: rashmun/panini or other urdu experts

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:58 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:when does one use thum versus aap? in the movie ijaazat the male protagonist addresses his wife alternately as thum and aap, whereas he always addresses the other women as thum. is this relationship based or context based? or is it totally random? or is it a hindi versus urdu thing?

Tum and aap are both Hindi and Urdu words meaning 'you'. Aap is considered more respectful and is used when addressing your elders while Tum is used when addressing people of your age group or those younger than you.

your spouse or beloved can be addressed as either Tum or aap depending on whether you wish to be more formal and respectful or informal as per the occasion and the terms of your relationship.

Back to top Go down

rashmun/panini or other urdu experts Empty Re: rashmun/panini or other urdu experts

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:36 pm

You forgot the third expression: "tu"!

When a NI addresses another NI, he calls him aap
When he addresses a SI whose help he needs (for writing something in English), he will call him tum
When he is talking to the average SI, he calls him tu

Just kidding!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:43 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:You forgot the third expression: "tu"!

When he addresses a SI whose help he needs (for writing something in English), he will call him tum

Just kidding!

Tu I think is not Hindustani i.e. not the Hindi or Urdu typically used in the cities of most of India. I could be wrong but I thing Tu is punjabi and it is also perhaps an acceptable variation of Tum in colloquial Hindi.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:48 pm

i rewatched ijaazat after many decades and noticing many more things. firstly, i understand much less of the screenplay than i did many years ago. my hindi has certainly atrophied. it's a lot harder to understand the dialogue than modern hindi movies probably because it is more urduiized. however, i am making connections that i never suspected existed. for example in the era when i lived in india, tamil newspapers used to employ the word mAji for former, i.e. mAji mudhal manthiri (former chief minister). i wondered but never knew what the origin of that word was. i just discovered after rewatching ijaazat that the urdu word for past is mAzi. surely, that's where it came from. i am sure there are many more.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:You forgot the third expression: "tu"!

Just kidding!

Tu I think is not Hindustani i.e. not the Hindi or Urdu typically used in the cities of most of India. I could be wrong but I thing Tu is punjabi and it is also perhaps an acceptable variation of Tum in colloquial Hindi.

Correction: Tu is an acceptable variation of Tum in colloquial Hindi and Urdu. Interestingly enough Tu is sometimes used when addressing God.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:00 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i rewatched ijaazat after many decades and noticing many more things. firstly, i understand much less of the screenplay than i did many years ago. my hindi has certainly atrophied. it's a lot harder to understand the dialogue than modern hindi movies probably because it is more urduiized. however, i am making connections that i never suspected existed. for example in the era when i lived in india, tamil newspapers used to employ the word mAji for former, i.e. mAji mudhal manthiri (former chief minister). i wondered but never knew what the origin of that word was. i just discovered after rewatching ijaazat that the urdu word for past is mAzi. surely, that's where it came from. i am sure there are many more.

I am glad to note that tamil has absorbed Hindustani words.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:07 am

having said that, the newspapers have since banished these words (and correctly so IMO) and gone back to original words. in a country like india, this IS the right approach for non-hindi/english newspapers.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:09 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:having said that, the newspapers have since banished these words (and correctly so IMO) and gone back to original words. in a country like india, this IS the right approach for non-hindi/english newspapers.

I disagree completely. This is also the approach of many Hindi fanatics (to purge Hindi of any "foreign" words). This is a xenophobic attitude which needs to be strongly condemned.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:15 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:having said that, the newspapers have since banished these words (and correctly so IMO) and gone back to original words. in a country like india, this IS the right approach for non-hindi/english newspapers.

I disagree completely. This is also the approach of many Hindi fanatics (to purge Hindi of any "foreign" words). This is a xenophobic attitude which needs to be strongly condemned.

To the best of my knowledge Subramanya Bharati the greatest 20th century Tamil writer was against this xenophobic attitude of trying to purge tamil of any "foreign" words.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:22 am

Rashmun wrote:
Correction: Tu is an acceptable variation of Tum in colloquial Hindi and Urdu. Interestingly enough Tu is sometimes used when addressing God.

tereku pahaleyeechh bola ta na saab.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:26 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Kaiku naraaz hora hai.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:44 am

Rashmun wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Kaiku naraaz hora hai.

is this conversation occurring in the fowl language?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:57 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Kaiku naraaz hora hai.

is this conversation occurring in the fowl language?

Typical Hyderabadi slang. Funny thing about it is they use Tum (Tereku) for Aap but end the sentence with Saab to make it sound respectful.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:08 am

Talking about Hindi pronouns, here is a question I haven't able to answer yet: https://such.forumotion.com/t9141-a-question-about-hindi-pronouns
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:17 am

CD: i got that.
but fowl langauge = duckini/cluckini.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:32 am

LOL @ fowl language
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:40 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:CD: i got that.

Not sure what sadistic pleasure you obtain by insulting the language of others.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:20 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:CD: i got that.

Not sure what sadistic pleasure you obtain by insulting the language of others.

nothing other than wonderment at why you stubbornly insist on a separate name for a language that is essentially a dialect. anyway we have discussed all that threadbare.

another q -- in ijaazat, NS's character is shown as some kind of northindian brahmin and so is rekha's. so why are they shown conversing in what is very obviously very urduiized hindi? yeh kath nahi, nazme hai, jo maya mujhe jahan jahan se bhejthi thi. was this just a case of gulzar exercising poetic license?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down